Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: RNbackpain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I first felt pain in my left lower back next to the tailbone 7 years ago. The stabbing pain would start there and wrap around my thigh. It hurt so bad I could hardly get out of bed. I had to drag my left leg behind me to get around. I was then diagnosed with SI joint inflammation. NSAIDS were not doing the job for me. I decided to get the cortisone injection. The first injection worked for a couple of weeks for me then the pain came back. I had one more injection a month later and this time it worked. I then learned some good stretches from physical therapy. Since then, I would only get minor flare-ups if I wasn't taking care of myself.

Comment from: daria55, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had SI joint issues for years following two head-on car accidents. The SI joint is hyper mobile and will easily go out of place. While I have had physical therapists pop it back into place relieving the intense nerve pain, they taught me how to have someone else do it. Lay on stomach and bend the knee on the side that hurts. Have a person put their hand on upper buttock area applying pressure to stabilize the area. Then with the other hand, have them put it under your knee and lift the knee a few inches off the bed. With the pressure on upper buttock area, push your knee down to the bed while the person holding your knee resists for count of 5. Relax. Repeat 2 or 3 times lifting the knee a little bit higher each time. Hope you find this helpful.

Comment from: TooYoungToBeBroken, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm 18 years old and have struggled with SI Pain since I was 15 after running cross country. Not until today actually was I diagnosed with "something being wrong" with my SI Joint. My physical therapist is encouraging me to try and be active but I can't. I play college basketball and train intensely but haven't been able to for over a month because of this pain. It hurts to do anything. Even walking for about ten minutes causes me pain.

Comment from: mjt3213, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have had lower back pain (tailbone area) for a few years. It has been bearable until recently. I now have trouble just getting out of bed due to the pain of raising my legs or shifting my weight from one side to allow my feet to reach the floor The pain is worse the day after I have had more than the usual activity. Mopping the floors in a large home has me flat on my back for the next two days. Ibuprofen helps some (800 mg). Ice packs help as well as a hot bath. I have just started the SI exercises and it actually feels good just stretching those muscles. My GP tells me I most likely have arthritis in the SI joint.

Comment from: Gail, Published: November 14

I had lower back pain and keep telling my back surgeon that it was totally different than sciatica I had surgery for 2 years before. My lower back was stiff and really hurt. I ask to go to physical therapy. Wow! Lucked out. This man had me stand in front of him and walk while he had hands on top of where hip went into spine area. He said it was S I joint. He put me on my back on table, took heavy towels & put on top of points at top of pelvis & pressed rather hard. When he let up he had me walk again. Wow! Felt better. Said I had to exercise to build up muscles around the area to hold in place. Doing exercises and better. Know exercise to help slide it back in place if goes out again and can go back to him if it doesn't help.

Comment from: pinta, 55-64 Male Published: October 05

Hi all I am a 57 year female and have had this problem for 11 years although have just been recently diagnosed .My slipped disc ruptured i have had two spinal ops .I suffer with FM [[[fibromyalgia ]I had the joint injections and boy they were so painful. I will not be having any more it made my joints worse the pain is so severe. I struggle standing for long periods bending forward is a no no and turning over in bed is so painful. Sometimes I have to sit on a memory foam cushion I end up laying down most times I wish someone had an answer this is a living hell.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).