Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: Fusion 3 4 me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am recovering from my 3rd spinal fusion. I am having pain in my lower back, hip, and leg down to knee only. When I stand up, I get a terrible burning sensation in my lower bottom near my legs. It last a minute or so. I was told is was my SI joint. I have had injections of this before and they do work,however I can't have them now due to my healing process. Steroids can disrupt healing of my fusion. I am coping now.

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

My SI joint was out of place for three years before a PT who works with hips figured out it was my SI joint. She had me do the shotgun, in which you squeeze a kickball between your legs to make it go back and forth into place. I had to do this for eight weeks off and on whenever my SI went out of place. Also, you can use the abductors at a gym, where you squeeze your legs with weights forward and outward. This also helps. I was well for about three years, but now I'm having problems with the SI joint again. Again, I started squeezing the kickball or a football, and it works wonders! Try it and see. My SI joint first went out when I had my first child and I never knew what it was, but it went back in after about a year. The second time it went out because I fell over on my motorcycle on my left side. I hope this will help someone.

Comment from: mrgk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

Traction done by my physical therapist helped me the most (I was in therapy for six weeks, three times a week, 1½-hour sessions). It provided immediate relief, reduced inflammation and helped get my bones back into alignment. Although I still suffer from pain when I twist and turn the wrong way, I am working on the plan my therapist gave me to strengthen my core and muscles surrounding my pelvis and SI joint.

Comment from: Sunshine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

If you are still in lots of pain, consider getting off grains and trying a gluten-free diet. You may be amazed to see how well you feel. I still have pain, but nowhere near the amount I had been suffering. I feel you have nothing to lose by trying it. I've heard that gluten can cause inflammation for some people. I'd never realized how many people have the same problem. A doctor told me about gluten and it has helped me greatly.

Comment from: cin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a simple knee scope done in 2010. Since the day of that surgery I've had IT band syndrome and SI joint pain. It really makes one wonder what they did to you during surgery. Still to this day I have pain off and on. I am a very active person and never had anything like this in my life. Shots didnt help in the SI joint - very frustrating. But, I keep on moving...

Comment from: kellie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I have been suffering from SI joint pain for six and a half years. Nothing I have done has helped. I've been to a chiropractor, neurosurgeon, physical therapists and with stood 11 steroid shots in my lower back. Nothing. Twice, the shots put me in bed for two weeks. I've been on pain meds for five years now and still no relief. I'm 49 years old now and I haven't worked for a year and a half due to the pain.

Comment from: Nurse to many, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I'm a nurse too and hurt my back on a patient a few days after Christmas 2012. I'm out of work doing physical therapy with NSAIDS, and pelvic exercises. But my SI joint on the left and my tail bone are killing me. I can't sit for more than 30 minutes so I bought a "Tush Cush." For the car which is a mini wedge with a hole for the tailbone, which helps a bit. I sit on a yoga ball all the time at home, but walking and standing for to long kills me. The pain runs to my inner pelvic / thigh area and down my back leg into my knee and sometimes down to my foot, but rarely. I've done the injections, and prednisone worked great but I can't take that forever! Feeling all sorts of pressure to go back to work and I'm totally stressed!! I love lidocaine patches.

Comment from: Alex, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with SI problem about a year ago after about six months of pain. I had some physio as apparently the muscle had locked the joint into place. It was much better for three months, but deteriorated after that and has remained so bad that I've not been able to do any exercise, and often getting to work is a nightmare. I've had some more physio, and that has helped. As does NSAIDs, thought they take days to really kick in. A sacro-illiac belt has also helped.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).