Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: mjt3213, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have had lower back pain (tailbone area) for a few years. It has been bearable until recently. I now have trouble just getting out of bed due to the pain of raising my legs or shifting my weight from one side to allow my feet to reach the floor The pain is worse the day after I have had more than the usual activity. Mopping the floors in a large home has me flat on my back for the next two days. Ibuprofen helps some (800 mg). Ice packs help as well as a hot bath. I have just started the SI exercises and it actually feels good just stretching those muscles. My GP tells me I most likely have arthritis in the SI joint.

Comment from: Gail, Published: November 14

I had lower back pain and keep telling my back surgeon that it was totally different than sciatica I had surgery for 2 years before. My lower back was stiff and really hurt. I ask to go to physical therapy. Wow! Lucked out. This man had me stand in front of him and walk while he had hands on top of where hip went into spine area. He said it was S I joint. He put me on my back on table, took heavy towels & put on top of points at top of pelvis & pressed rather hard. When he let up he had me walk again. Wow! Felt better. Said I had to exercise to build up muscles around the area to hold in place. Doing exercises and better. Know exercise to help slide it back in place if goes out again and can go back to him if it doesn't help.

Comment from: pinta, 55-64 Male Published: October 05

Hi all I am a 57 year female and have had this problem for 11 years although have just been recently diagnosed .My slipped disc ruptured i have had two spinal ops .I suffer with FM [[[fibromyalgia ]I had the joint injections and boy they were so painful. I will not be having any more it made my joints worse the pain is so severe. I struggle standing for long periods bending forward is a no no and turning over in bed is so painful. Sometimes I have to sit on a memory foam cushion I end up laying down most times I wish someone had an answer this is a living hell.

Published: July 19

I am a 35 year old female who began having SI problems about four years ago after having my hip replaced. Of course my orthopedic surgeon feels the two are not related, but I assure you they are. Physical therapy only made matters worse. The only relief I find when aggravated is a good chiropractor. The problem is some of them do not seem to know how to properly adjust this area which can make it worse. Find a good one and stick with it!

Comment from: gunfight, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I am a 37-year-old gunshot victim battling SI joint dysfunction and MFPS. I believe that over time, I have tried absolutely everything. I have not found anything including injections, medications, therapies, or devices that have been able to ease any of the pain. I am now to the point where I am only able to do anything for a half hour – max -- at a time. I have been told that there are no answers for me, and that it is only going to get worse. Even with that said, I will only keep fighting.

Comment from: Faye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have been having pain with my SI joint for years. I finally had to demand to my doctor to send me to a specialist. My doctor over the past seven years has prescribed me so many anti-inflammatory medications, which do not work. I have had nerve blockers shots and a SI injection. To this day, none has worked. When the weather is cold and snowy, that is when the pain is really bad.

Comment from: soccerchick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had lower back pain on and off for a number of years. I play soccer and after some games, my right hip would hurt, but it would normally be okay by the next day. After one game a few months ago, I could barely get off the field because of my hip. The pain was excruciating, and I could barely walk for the next three weeks because of my hip. I went to my doctor, who didn't know what was going on, and so I went to a physiotherapist. He watched me bend over while standing, and he saw that my hips were misaligned and one leg was longer than the other. After a couple more tests, he determined that it was my SI joint giving me the back and hip pain all this time. For the last couple of months, I have been receiving acupuncture, my PT stretches my leg and hip, and I have exercises to do. I still have some pain in my hip and back, but nothing like it was. A little bit longer, and I'll (hopefully) be able to get back on the soccer field.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).