Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: Fiz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

After many years of repeating chiropractic treatment and physical therapy for SI joint pain, I gave osteopathy a try with great and long lasting results.

Comment from: Linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had pain in my SI joint for 7 years. I started out with bone and joint doctors. They would give me shots and prescribe pain pills. After suffering for over a year, I went to a chiropractor. After the first visit I could walk easier. When I first started going I had to go twice a week for about 3 weeks. I go monthly now. My pain is greatly reduced. My SI joint slipped out of place last year so bad that I could not walk without assistance. The chiropractor adjusted me one time and I walked out of the office by myself.

Comment from: diane 73, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

After searching the "web" I found a site that suggested laying down on the floor on your back and placing a tennis ball under you where you hurt. Roll around on the spot that's sore. It gave me some immediate relief.

Comment from: lgann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a 60-year-old female who has had lower back pain and hip pain for about 15 years. In the beginning I was told I had degenerative disc disease and some arthritis. I have realized over the years that the best way to treat this is actively yourself. I started a stretching routine every morning, ate healthy, took vitamins and worked thru the pain. Almost every day for 10 years I had some severe issues but learned to live with it. Recently I was diagnosed with a bulging disc after severe sacroiliac (SI) joint pain. I received one cortisone shot in my back and for the first time in 15 years have had 1 year of relief. I am beginning to have symptoms again, but continue to stretch every day.

Comment from: gkidz4me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I had total right knee replacement about 12 weeks ago. My knee seems to be mending in expected fashion. However, from the day I got home from the hospital I have had severe pain in my left hip and sacroiliac joint. I have been going to PT for my knee but progress is greatly hindered by the hip and back pain. I did not have this pain prior to surgery. My surgeon was not concerned and said the knee will take 2-3 years to fully recover. I had right left knee replacement 2 1/2 years ago and did not have this problem.

Comment from: ritag, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I started having bank pain when I got into my first car accident at 19 (1991). I went to a chiropractor and after a year I was pain free. I had my second car accident in 2005 and didn't show symptoms until I had my son in 2007. I have been doing Pilates since 2004 and it is the single most things that help. Not only does it help but after doing Pilates twice a week with a trainer since January I hardly have pain even though I'm still 35 Lbs overweight and I sit at a desk all day (really bad for the back). I don't take any pain meds not even an otc. I do yoga occasionally and I just started getting a massage yesterday. Overall I am 100% better than I was in 2007 but I am not anywhere near before the second accident. Hope this info helps someone.

Comment from: tennisfan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I am 52 years old and an active tennis player. A couple of years ago, I developed a foot problem (plantar) and kept playing tennis while trying to deal with the foot. This has led to hip problems and most recently with my left hip. I feel a burning sensation at the top of my left buttocks and my left groin feels strained although I understand that can be a symptom of the hip problem. I've done some PT for the hip and had one injection; neither has resolved the issue although the hip was feeling better while I was doing the PT. I am very fit, ideal weight and do the entire core exercises, etc. so fitness isn't the issue. I had an MRI this week and am getting the results in a couple of day. It isn't exactly painful now but feels like something that will get worse over time if not dealt with. Would love to hear of any similar cases and success stories.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).