Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: candy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have dealt with SI (sacroiliac) joint pain since 1996 when it was found. I had injured my back at work. I had stabilization in 2001 and have regretted it since 2 years after having it. I deal with pain when I get up until I can go to sleep at night. I was married to the heating pad! Has anyone heard of a portable heating pad! I take strong narcotics for it, but they just knock the edge off. I have even begged my pain management doctor to remove the one screw that we know is causing my pain. But he only says he doesn't put screws in and he doesn't take them out.

Comment from: Kat, Published: April 21

I had a bad fall on both knees almost 3 weeks ago. My left knee instantly swelled and bruised. Bruising was almost gone this morning and when I knelt on the tub to wash my hair a darker bruise instantly appeared to the side where the swelling was before.

Comment from: roni, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have been suffering with the sacroiliac joint dysfunction for almost 6 years. I am always in pain. I also have the arthritic episodes where I have an extreme amount of pain and unable to walk. I was on narcotics for a long time but I am off them now. I can't find anything to help me with my pain. Ibuprofen helps but it messes up my stomach. There aren't many people you can see for this condition and my doctor won't due the surgery. I hear all of the positive things and I really would love to have it. My kids are grown and it's just my husband and I with our animals and it's now our time to do what we want but it's difficult when you have this issue. I am positive and I keep pushing but when I have an episode, pushing it is not good. I am really glad I am not alone in this journey. No one truly understands you.

Comment from: sneezybreezy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I have experienced many of the same symptoms as others on this site. I've had a hard time walking, severe pain in both legs and in the lower back. Lidocaine patches over the SI (sacroiliac) joints help, and so have steroid injections into the SI joints, albeit temporarily. I can't believe so many people are suffering long term from this condition when there are surgeries, including minimally invasive ways to fuse the SI joints to prevent the movement that causes pain. I have a great deal of osteoarthritis in my SI joints due to low back fusions that took place 30 and 15 years ago. I am absolutely sure that the SI joints are causing my pain and I am going to pursue getting them fused. I am sick and tired of living half a life when I don't have to. The SI joints can move very little and they will cause you a lot of pain. They say 25 percent of low back pain is caused by the SI joints but most doctors don't know enough about them to either diagnose or treat them effectively, so their patients continue to suffer and their lives going down the tubes, for no reason.

Comment from: sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am a 37 year old with 2 children who is also a registered nurse (RN). I have been fighting with SI (sacroiliac) problems for over 2 years. My pain goes across my back and down both legs to my ankles. It started on the right side and eventually progressed to the left. My pain level is never less than a 5 and generally stays between 8 and 10. On the days I work 12 hour shifts, I swear it is even worse than that. There are days that I just lay in bed and want to scream. At first, all my doctor would do was prescribe pain medications. Of course, they didn't help. I underwent 6 months of physical therapy but found that it only made things worse. Finally, I saw another doctor (when my doctor was out of town and I was having a flare up) and he sent me to a brain and spine institute for injections on both sides. For those of you that have had them, you know they hurt! Over the last 3 months I have had 3 sets. Three or four days after each injection I feel great. However, after I go back to work, within a week or so, I am back to square one. I'm not sure where we are headed next. They have mentioned fusion, but I am concerned with lack of mobility. My kids are still little and very active in sports. And, I am the sole provider for my family. My husband is currently unemployed and for that matter thinks I am crazy... he doesn't understand the pain this causes.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I use Michelle"s Miracle cherry concentrate, 1 oz mixed in any liquid each day. It has properties similar to aspirin, as well as anti-inflammatory properties. I prefer this natural remedy for SI joint pain, over medicine.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).