Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: Jan, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 21

My 93 year old mother fell 4 days ago. Nothing is broken but she is now experiencing severe SI joint pain. Nothing seems to be helping. I hate seeing her in this much pain.

Comment from: sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am a 37 year old with 2 children who is also a registered nurse (RN). I have been fighting with SI (sacroiliac) problems for over 2 years. My pain goes across my back and down both legs to my ankles. It started on the right side and eventually progressed to the left. My pain level is never less than a 5 and generally stays between 8 and 10. On the days I work 12 hour shifts, I swear it is even worse than that. There are days that I just lay in bed and want to scream. At first, all my doctor would do was prescribe pain medications. Of course, they didn't help. I underwent 6 months of physical therapy but found that it only made things worse. Finally, I saw another doctor (when my doctor was out of town and I was having a flare up) and he sent me to a brain and spine institute for injections on both sides. For those of you that have had them, you know they hurt! Over the last 3 months I have had 3 sets. Three or four days after each injection I feel great. However, after I go back to work, within a week or so, I am back to square one. I'm not sure where we are headed next. They have mentioned fusion, but I am concerned with lack of mobility. My kids are still little and very active in sports. And, I am the sole provider for my family. My husband is currently unemployed and for that matter thinks I am crazy... he doesn't understand the pain this causes.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I use Michelle"s Miracle cherry concentrate, 1 oz mixed in any liquid each day. It has properties similar to aspirin, as well as anti-inflammatory properties. I prefer this natural remedy for SI joint pain, over medicine.

Comment from: Fiz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

After many years of repeating chiropractic treatment and physical therapy for SI joint pain, I gave osteopathy a try with great and long lasting results.

Comment from: Linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had pain in my SI joint for 7 years. I started out with bone and joint doctors. They would give me shots and prescribe pain pills. After suffering for over a year, I went to a chiropractor. After the first visit I could walk easier. When I first started going I had to go twice a week for about 3 weeks. I go monthly now. My pain is greatly reduced. My SI joint slipped out of place last year so bad that I could not walk without assistance. The chiropractor adjusted me one time and I walked out of the office by myself.

Comment from: diane 73, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

After searching the "web" I found a site that suggested laying down on the floor on your back and placing a tennis ball under you where you hurt. Roll around on the spot that's sore. It gave me some immediate relief.

Comment from: lgann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a 60-year-old female who has had lower back pain and hip pain for about 15 years. In the beginning I was told I had degenerative disc disease and some arthritis. I have realized over the years that the best way to treat this is actively yourself. I started a stretching routine every morning, ate healthy, took vitamins and worked thru the pain. Almost every day for 10 years I had some severe issues but learned to live with it. Recently I was diagnosed with a bulging disc after severe sacroiliac (SI) joint pain. I received one cortisone shot in my back and for the first time in 15 years have had 1 year of relief. I am beginning to have symptoms again, but continue to stretch every day.

Comment from: gkidz4me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I had total right knee replacement about 12 weeks ago. My knee seems to be mending in expected fashion. However, from the day I got home from the hospital I have had severe pain in my left hip and sacroiliac joint. I have been going to PT for my knee but progress is greatly hindered by the hip and back pain. I did not have this pain prior to surgery. My surgeon was not concerned and said the knee will take 2-3 years to fully recover. I had right left knee replacement 2 1/2 years ago and did not have this problem.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).