Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?

Comment from: gkidz4me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I had total right knee replacement about 12 weeks ago. My knee seems to be mending in expected fashion. However, from the day I got home from the hospital I have had severe pain in my left hip and sacroiliac joint. I have been going to PT for my knee but progress is greatly hindered by the hip and back pain. I did not have this pain prior to surgery. My surgeon was not concerned and said the knee will take 2-3 years to fully recover. I had right left knee replacement 2 1/2 years ago and did not have this problem.

Comment from: ritag, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I started having bank pain when I got into my first car accident at 19 (1991). I went to a chiropractor and after a year I was pain free. I had my second car accident in 2005 and didn't show symptoms until I had my son in 2007. I have been doing Pilates since 2004 and it is the single most things that help. Not only does it help but after doing Pilates twice a week with a trainer since January I hardly have pain even though I'm still 35 Lbs overweight and I sit at a desk all day (really bad for the back). I don't take any pain meds not even an otc. I do yoga occasionally and I just started getting a massage yesterday. Overall I am 100% better than I was in 2007 but I am not anywhere near before the second accident. Hope this info helps someone.

Comment from: tennisfan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I am 52 years old and an active tennis player. A couple of years ago, I developed a foot problem (plantar) and kept playing tennis while trying to deal with the foot. This has led to hip problems and most recently with my left hip. I feel a burning sensation at the top of my left buttocks and my left groin feels strained although I understand that can be a symptom of the hip problem. I've done some PT for the hip and had one injection; neither has resolved the issue although the hip was feeling better while I was doing the PT. I am very fit, ideal weight and do the entire core exercises, etc. so fitness isn't the issue. I had an MRI this week and am getting the results in a couple of day. It isn't exactly painful now but feels like something that will get worse over time if not dealt with. Would love to hear of any similar cases and success stories.

Comment from: RNbackpain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I first felt pain in my left lower back next to the tailbone 7 years ago. The stabbing pain would start there and wrap around my thigh. It hurt so bad I could hardly get out of bed. I had to drag my left leg behind me to get around. I was then diagnosed with SI joint inflammation. NSAIDS were not doing the job for me. I decided to get the cortisone injection. The first injection worked for a couple of weeks for me then the pain came back. I had one more injection a month later and this time it worked. I then learned some good stretches from physical therapy. Since then, I would only get minor flare-ups if I wasn't taking care of myself.

Comment from: daria55, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have had SI joint issues for years following two head-on car accidents. The SI joint is hyper mobile and will easily go out of place. While I have had physical therapists pop it back into place relieving the intense nerve pain, they taught me how to have someone else do it. Lay on stomach and bend the knee on the side that hurts. Have a person put their hand on upper buttock area applying pressure to stabilize the area. Then with the other hand, have them put it under your knee and lift the knee a few inches off the bed. With the pressure on upper buttock area, push your knee down to the bed while the person holding your knee resists for count of 5. Relax. Repeat 2 or 3 times lifting the knee a little bit higher each time. Hope you find this helpful.

Comment from: TooYoungToBeBroken, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm 18 years old and have struggled with SI Pain since I was 15 after running cross country. Not until today actually was I diagnosed with "something being wrong" with my SI Joint. My physical therapist is encouraging me to try and be active but I can't. I play college basketball and train intensely but haven't been able to for over a month because of this pain. It hurts to do anything. Even walking for about ten minutes causes me pain.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).