Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience

Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).

Comment from: Dfoody, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

To Kathy, after eight years of bad pain I finally had sacroiliac (SI) joint fusion and six months later I have my life back. Check into this, the procedure came from Europe and was approved in the US in 2010. There are not many doctors trained in this procedure but you can contact iFuse and they will send a list of qualified doctors in your area. I walk every day, kayak and now shop.

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

After 5 years trying so many different things and wasting tons of money, nothing has worked. I am hoping for surgical fusion intervention for sacroiliac (SI) joint dysfunction and a trapped sciatic nerve. My right side from the hip started with a slight dull ache and has progressed to total weakness, needing a walker 100% of the time. I had to research myself all these years and thanks to finally being able to get insurance, I will demand a specialist trained in these areas. Hope this helps someone!

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

For many years I have had low back pain. I have been told that my sacroiliac joint gets stuck in, I guess you would say the "open position"; it rolls out of the joint and gets stuck. I have been to physical therapists, doctors, and chiropractors. I visit them two to three times a week with some relief. It still is painful when I stand more than a few minutes. My quality of life has been truly hindered by this.

Comment from: The Holtie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had a double level spinal fusion in 2012 on my L4-L5 and L5-S1 discs after dealing with the pain for 6 years. Ever since then it"s been hard to turn over in bed. About a month ago I turned to get out of the car and screamed in pain because I "got stuck". I went back to my orthopedic surgeon and he suggested physical therapy. Physical therapist ordered 3 times a week for a month. I went back in today and they suggested an injection in my sacroiliac joint to calm the inflammation. The doctor pretty much said it should work, but it"s also to confirm the diagnosis. I hope it works, because I really don"t want to go under the knife again. With that being said, my spinal fusion went great and was a success. This problem seems to stem from the years I went before having my surgery.

Comment from: NasteMasto, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am a registered nurse as I have read some of you are. I had an injury in "05 to C5 that soon progressed from C5 to C7 for which I had discectomy with fusions. This led to the diagnoses of degenerative joint disease (DJD) and osteoarthritis not long after. I believe I have sacroiliac joint disease; about every few weeks I get the worst sacral pain, even sitting down on my soft bed. My legs and thighs when I go to the restroom are so painful I cannot lower myself to the toilet. I will amp up the ibuprofen for a few weeks and then it starts all over! I can"t get in to see an orthopedic surgeon until May, I was referred in November. Meanwhile I suffer, I have not worked in two years, which kills me. I loved my job, I loved caring for my patients, and I hate being one! I am a physical and psychological mess!

Comment from: Paul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I note in your very helpful article that you do no reference hemochromatosis as a possible cause for sacroiliac (SI) joint pain. As a sufferer of hemochromatosis I believe from what I"ve read elsewhere that hemochromatosis is causing mine. Something I will take up with my doctor when I return from vacation.

Comment from: Jules, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had issues with my SI (sacroiliac) joint since I was 13 (more than 25 years). Some flare ups have had me immobilized for weeks at a time, and some are just little hiccups. My doctor told me when I was first diagnosed that medical science would drug me up enough to mask the symptoms, and not really do anything for the underlying cause. She suggested a chiropractor instead, with doses of massage therapy as needed. As recently as 2 years ago, I had to deal with emergency room staff when I had a flare up so bad that my husband called 911 because he thought something serious happened. The emergency room staff told me to suck it up and dosed me with morphine (after I expressly told them it makes me physically ill with nausea and shaky extremities and violent headaches that last a few days) Tylenol 3 or 4 or whatever they are and Percocet. After this lovely cocktail they sent me home win no instructions to my husband, except "don't call 911 over this again". My chiropractor was called and offered to do a house call if I was unable to sit in the vehicle for the time it took to drive there. Only reason I said no was because I live in the country and it's confusing to get here. Chiropractic treatment works. Massage therapy works. My doctor did tests, offered shots, and said that's all they can do. My chiropractor does tests, suggests certain types of stretches and exercises, ascertains what has changed recently, speaks with my doctor to make sure they're on the same page, and has suggested surgery more than once to my doctor, seeing as I have probably had as many as 7 serious flare ups in the last 3 years. I am totally open to more shots, if they work, but when they don't, it's hard to justify it. Surgery is a scary thought, but if it means I can actually live a somewhat normal existence count me in! (Weight has never been an issue, too much or too little, so that has never been in the equation).

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?