Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience

Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).

Published: July 29

I have had back problems for a few years, but I recently injured my back assisting a resident at work. I am an LPN and was helping one of my residents that was choking. I have been in a lot of pain for about 4 months now and my doctor is considering SI joint injection. I am currently in therapy, but it is so hard to exercise with all the pain I am in. It seems like I make a little progress and then I get set back again. I go back to the doctor today and I know he is going to want to schedule the injection. If anyone has any comments, please post it at this site so I can read it. I have tried so many different medications that it is upsetting my stomach and possibly even my liver. My family Dr. informed me that my liver enzymes are elevated and she's not sure why. What are my options at this point? Someone please give me some good advice. I am only 29 years old and I am so scared that this may cause long term complications. Thank you to anyone that is reading this. Please comment back.

Published: July 15

One year ago, I had a Morton's neuroma removed from my right foot. I thought this was the end of my problems, which was mostly just my foot. The surgery made a bad situation worse. My SI joint began to hurt as did down the side of my leg and my hip. Some places actually hurt to touch. I have taken dose packs of steroids, had an injection, have done six months of physical therapy, taken a medical leave from work (I teach and the tile floors made it even worse), tried all kinds of pain killers, muscle relaxers, water therapy. I've had an electrode attached to my SI joint with medicine on it that was put directly on the problem area, massage therapy, and so many other things I can't even recall them all. I am now trying a chiropractor and acupuncture. I still have no relief.

Comment from: Paul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I note in your very helpful article that you do no reference hemochromatosis as a possible cause for sacroiliac (SI) joint pain. As a sufferer of hemochromatosis I believe from what I"ve read elsewhere that hemochromatosis is causing mine. Something I will take up with my doctor when I return from vacation.

Comment from: Ssmccartney, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have suffered from sacroiliac joint pain for 3 years now. I have done physical therapy, 3 SI injections, I continuously see a chiropractor. And have had no relief my pain varies from an irritation to I can"t get out of bed.

Comment from: Shannmack, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had injections for my SI pain about 4 months ago. They have made a huge difference but every once in a while I have a flare up. I stretch and take a couple of Advil and apply ice and sometimes that works. Other days I just have to ride it out.

Comment from: Cheryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I'm still having pain with walking and my left upper front thigh is burning and sore. I have four more days for my second injection into the SI joint. The doc says that this shot will make a 70% difference in the way I feel. My kitty wants me up and playing with her right now, and just bending down to get her ball hurts. I can't go back to work yet, because I can't walk without pain and a limp.

Comment from: thunder, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am having extreme pain in the hip that radiates across my back and down my leg. I have had this before from lifting numerous heavy objects at work. A good chiropractor solved the problem last time and I am currently seeing him again. I am already starting to feel relieve. I wear a belt in between visits to stabilize the hip joint while the ligaments heal.

Comment from: hayscynthia9, 25-34 (Patient) Published: August 07

For the 29 year old who posted on July 29th.... Were you able to find anything out?? I am 25 and just started LPN school. Got an MRI, have a "small" amount of arthritis in my SI joints, wait tables where I pull on the joints but the last specialist I saw gave me anti-inflammatory and physical therapy. It has been five days and is getting worse. I am about to call now and ask about getting an injection. Let me know if you have any new information or advice and I'll do that same.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?