Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience

Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have suffered from what is known as sacroiliac joint dysfunction for about 15 years and after an almost deadly accident it went away but now it has come back. However the difference from the other people's symptoms is that my pain doesn't go away unless I am moving or walking. I cannot sit or lie down for a long time. I do yoga and swimming and that helps a lot.

Comment from: Cheryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

It's been 31 days since I went to the ER, in excruciating pain. They X-rayed my hip and back and found nothing and sent me home with a prescription for pain pills. Second night, second day, went to ER again, still didn't find anything, I didn't want to leave the hospital because of the pain. Went to my primary and he checked me in the hospital. I was there three days and they ran MRI on my hip and lower back, still nothing. The second day in the hospital, the orthopedic doc gave me and injection for bursitis of the hip, said that should help. It didn't. Went back to primary and sent to a pain management doctor and he said I have a good looking spine and that the pain is caused by my SI joint. He still wondered why I was using a crutch though while I was in his office. It hurts to walk and my upper thigh is on fire! Went back to pain management doc today for a Cortizone injection into SI joint, it hurt like heck and he said that I was the only patient that reacted like that as far as me saying it really hurt! The injection will take one to five days to feel some relief, right now; I'm hurting and still have fire leg.

Comment from: goforit, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had my first battle with SI joint pain two weeks ago. I had severe pain in my left hip. I thought I had a kidney stone, but there were no other symptoms pointing to that. I explained to ER doctor that the pain was in the left hip area, and hurt all the way through the left side and down the front of the left leg. He did a CT of my abdomen. Then he sent me home with a prescription for Tylenol #3 with instructions for me to follow up with my primary care physician for "abdominal pain and vomiting." I had no abdominal pain other than that radiating from the hip, and I had no nausea or vomiting. After reading that so many of you have suffered with this for years, it makes me glad that I am an old lady!

Comment from: James Bond, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I've had left sacroiliac (SI)-joint issues for a year. It began as several years of on and off back pain. I worked out and stayed active but started having hip pain and trigger point pain in my left hip after running for a few weeks. After a series of injections I could not bear weight on my left leg and was on crutches for nearly three months. The doctor kept saying to push through and go to physical therapy. I did for some time only to find out I was making it worse. I was supposed to rest awhile after having these nerve blocks. I've been strong, healthy, and have worked out regularly for 20 years. You have to keep pushing to get the correct diagnosis.

Comment from: melissa, Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I am a 30-year-old who has arthritis in my right SI joint. This condition has been the most frustrating experience of my life and has made me feel like a crazy person. It started out as lower back pain and muscle tightening. The first doctor I saw gave me muscle relaxants, which never worked. As the years went by, I saw several doctors and specialists. It was very frustrating. My physiotherapist finally said that it was the SI joints and told me to get X-rays. These showed that I have arthritis. My family doctor sent me to a sports medicine doctor, who sent me to a pain management doctor. He told me my pain had nothing to do with the arthritis and it was nerve related. He then gave me multiple spinal nerve blocks, which did nothing. After telling me it's nerve related, I made him send me to a neurologist, who recommended an MRI, which was negative – except for the arthritis. Now I am currently waiting to see a rheumatologist. I've been in pain for almost six years, with no end in sight. Some days, I can barely walk or sleep. While sleeping, things seize up. Just the simple action of getting off the sofa is excruciating. The worst is that I can't exercise because I'm in pain. I've gained 20 pounds and can't work it off. My advice: if you have SI joint pain, don't let the doctors tell you it's nothing. Get X-rays and demand to see a specialist.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?