Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience

Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).

Published: July 15

After leaning over for several minutes, I was unable to stand upright due to severe pain from the left to right of my lumbar region. Next, I sat down for a lunch break and was not able to stand up. I went to an urgent care facility where they diagnosed me as having severe lumbar strain. After my first week of physical therapy, I have been told that I have an SI problem. After the first week, I felt as though I was 90% healthy and then later that evening after physical therapy, I was in severe pain for the entire weekend and resorted to my medications. I am performing core strengthening exercises now this week and have physical therapy three times per week.

Published: July 11

I have suffered with low back pain for more than four years when we found out is was my sacroiliac joints. I soon went and had SI joint injections that hurt so bad and only made the problem worse. It got to the point to where I could not walk. My doctor said surgery was my only hope. SI joint dysfunction is a bigger problem than most people know. My joints would not stay in place anymore. Only for a few hours then they would be out again, it had my hips out of line. The pain was so bad, sometimes I would cry and scream. Now I'm three months post-surgery. I have four screws placed holding my SI joints together and I cannot get over how good I feel, how I can walk with no problem. I still have a small amount of pain though. Injections are working at the moment.

Published: July 07

I am a 36 year old mother of two. I started experiencing severe SI joint pain during my second pregnancy last year. The pain lessened after the birth of my son one year ago but has gradually returned and increased in frequency and severity. I wear a stabilizing belt and am trying to do lower abdominal and pelvic floor exercises with a physiotherapist, although there is not much time for this with two young children. The biggest stressor on the joint is from carrying my son who is 1 year old and 28 pounds, while I am only 110 pounds and not very strong.

Published: July 07

I was hurt on the job, lifting a patient (I am an RN), and I have been in a terrible amount of pain since then (it has now been about eight months). I had an MRI done of the lumbar spine and have mildly bulging discs at L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1. My pain starts at the middle of my back and goes down to my hips. I have sharp pain starting at my right lower back and down into my right leg. It does soon the left also, but never as severe. The bottoms of my feet go tingly when I sit for any amount of time, especially when driving, as well as my big toes, part of the second toe and sometimes up around the outside of my calves. The right leg feels as if it is going to give out many times when I walk. My doctor believes it is from my SI joint, so I underwent an SI joint injection under fluoroscopy. I would say that I got about a 50% relief for about the last five weeks; now it seems to have worn off. I am frustrated and in pain most of the time, and they just keep offering me trigger point injections which aren't helping anymore, and pain pills/muscle relaxers.

Published: July 07

I was told I had arthritis of the right hip, but I kept telling the doctor that it was more in my groin than in my hip...especially when I sit in the car or in the chair at my desk at work. Even if I am having a somewhat "normal" day, those two things will send me into a tizzy. I also have a bad left knee, so I don't have a good leg to stand on! Then I went to a chiropractor and after she watched me walk the first time, said she didn't think I had a hip problem so much as an SI problem, and then she worked on me. She gave me exercises to do and now, before I get out of the car or up from my chair, I bend the right knee and I can get up with less pain. I also get massages on a regular basis and these two things usually work. I am unable to get the injection in the SI area as my doctor suggested because I do not have insurance at the moment. I think my chiropractor and masseuse will be my saviors this coming winter.

Published: July 07

I've been experiencing back pain for about 18 years and had back surgery eight years ago. However, since then, I have been having this excruciating pain in my low back on right side. I have been to see numerous doctors and can't seem to find why I am having this pain. Finally, a pain management specialist diagnosed SI joint dysfunction. The symptoms were obvious but no one ever diagnosed it until now. I am ecstatic just to know finally what problem is instead of it being a mystery. But now going to physical therapy and doing exercises doesn't seem to do much.

Published: July 07

I've had SI dysfunction since my son was born. It is mainly on my right side (pelvis and sacrum). It also radiates to the left side and affects my legs and knees. It hurts where I bend over. By the end of the day or sooner, I feel like collapsing. My legs get weak and achy. I also have lumbar scoliosis, which is probably caused by this disease. My right hip is tilted and higher than the left hip which is causing all kinds of radiating pain. Everyday, the pain is somewhere different. Other days, it is everywhere at the same time. That's when I will take Vicodin or Aleve. I find resting my back by lying on a firm surface (carpet) and putting a rolled up pillow under my head helps my neck, back and pelvic problems. Sometimes my tailbone acts like it is being strained. The pain is a strained, pulling and painful sensation. It causes me to walk funny, if I can walk at all. My hips including my pubic bone will "freeze" up. It's all so weird and there is no MRI scan that will prove SI dysfunction.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?