Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience

Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).

Comment from: Cheryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I'm still having pain with walking and my left upper front thigh is burning and sore. I have four more days for my second injection into the SI joint. The doc says that this shot will make a 70% difference in the way I feel. My kitty wants me up and playing with her right now, and just bending down to get her ball hurts. I can't go back to work yet, because I can't walk without pain and a limp.

Comment from: thunder, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am having extreme pain in the hip that radiates across my back and down my leg. I have had this before from lifting numerous heavy objects at work. A good chiropractor solved the problem last time and I am currently seeing him again. I am already starting to feel relieve. I wear a belt in between visits to stabilize the hip joint while the ligaments heal.

Comment from: hayscynthia9, 25-34 (Patient) Published: August 07

For the 29 year old who posted on July 29th.... Were you able to find anything out?? I am 25 and just started LPN school. Got an MRI, have a "small" amount of arthritis in my SI joints, wait tables where I pull on the joints but the last specialist I saw gave me anti-inflammatory and physical therapy. It has been five days and is getting worse. I am about to call now and ask about getting an injection. Let me know if you have any new information or advice and I'll do that same.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I have injured my sacrum three times. once, whiledancing, I over extended my hip, and wow, the most painful moment of my life. The second and third times, both bending to the side leaning over and lifting something heavy and bulky. I am hypermobile, it is too easy for me to over extend myself. Since understanding what causes this to happen to me, I am now very careful to tighten my stomach muscles, and keep my torso straight, vs. twisted, when lifting. additionally, i am sure to get the item iam lifting as close to my body as possible .

Comment from: Barber21221, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I have had SI joint pain on and off for a few years now. When I have a flare-up, I see a chiropractor and treat with ice. That, along with some gentle strengthening exercises has meant all the difference. Light stretching has also been beneficial. I find as I age - if I exercise and stay strong, less things seem to ache. Good luck!

Comment from: courier, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

Get the injection and don't do any motions that irritate the SI joint, like bending, twisting, squatting, lifting, carrying, kicking doors or moving items with your legs. Stop the job that is causing the pain. Stretch daily and do yoga – keep walking on level ground.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I started having pain in my SI joint in October of 2007 and have since had four injections and numerous rounds of physical therapy. I believe that this treatment has helped tremendously, and I would recommend it. I am 27 and this has been a very frustrating experience for me, especially after the first injection only gave relief for a short time. I am glad that my pain specialist talked me into having further injections because it has made a big difference. I am not completely cured, but I am glad to be a functioning member of society again. I would recommend the injection and go from there. A really helpful physical therapist would be a really great investment as well.

Published: August 01

I injured my back in February of 2007, and last month, I finally got diagnosed with SI dysfunction. The doctor won't listen when I tell him that the medications Hydrocodone and Gabapentin don't help. I hurt all the time from my lower back radiating down to my toes. The leg pain started three months ago from the X-ray guided injection.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?