Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience

Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).

Comment from: James Bond, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I've had left sacroiliac (SI)-joint issues for a year. It began as several years of on and off back pain. I worked out and stayed active but started having hip pain and trigger point pain in my left hip after running for a few weeks. After a series of injections I could not bear weight on my left leg and was on crutches for nearly three months. The doctor kept saying to push through and go to physical therapy. I did for some time only to find out I was making it worse. I was supposed to rest awhile after having these nerve blocks. I've been strong, healthy, and have worked out regularly for 20 years. You have to keep pushing to get the correct diagnosis.

Comment from: melissa, Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I am a 30-year-old who has arthritis in my right SI joint. This condition has been the most frustrating experience of my life and has made me feel like a crazy person. It started out as lower back pain and muscle tightening. The first doctor I saw gave me muscle relaxants, which never worked. As the years went by, I saw several doctors and specialists. It was very frustrating. My physiotherapist finally said that it was the SI joints and told me to get X-rays. These showed that I have arthritis. My family doctor sent me to a sports medicine doctor, who sent me to a pain management doctor. He told me my pain had nothing to do with the arthritis and it was nerve related. He then gave me multiple spinal nerve blocks, which did nothing. After telling me it's nerve related, I made him send me to a neurologist, who recommended an MRI, which was negative – except for the arthritis. Now I am currently waiting to see a rheumatologist. I've been in pain for almost six years, with no end in sight. Some days, I can barely walk or sleep. While sleeping, things seize up. Just the simple action of getting off the sofa is excruciating. The worst is that I can't exercise because I'm in pain. I've gained 20 pounds and can't work it off. My advice: if you have SI joint pain, don't let the doctors tell you it's nothing. Get X-rays and demand to see a specialist.

Published: July 29

I have had back problems for a few years, but I recently injured my back assisting a resident at work. I am an LPN and was helping one of my residents that was choking. I have been in a lot of pain for about 4 months now and my doctor is considering SI joint injection. I am currently in therapy, but it is so hard to exercise with all the pain I am in. It seems like I make a little progress and then I get set back again. I go back to the doctor today and I know he is going to want to schedule the injection. If anyone has any comments, please post it at this site so I can read it. I have tried so many different medications that it is upsetting my stomach and possibly even my liver. My family Dr. informed me that my liver enzymes are elevated and she's not sure why. What are my options at this point? Someone please give me some good advice. I am only 29 years old and I am so scared that this may cause long term complications. Thank you to anyone that is reading this. Please comment back.

Published: July 15

One year ago, I had a Morton's neuroma removed from my right foot. I thought this was the end of my problems, which was mostly just my foot. The surgery made a bad situation worse. My SI joint began to hurt as did down the side of my leg and my hip. Some places actually hurt to touch. I have taken dose packs of steroids, had an injection, have done six months of physical therapy, taken a medical leave from work (I teach and the tile floors made it even worse), tried all kinds of pain killers, muscle relaxers, water therapy. I've had an electrode attached to my SI joint with medicine on it that was put directly on the problem area, massage therapy, and so many other things I can't even recall them all. I am now trying a chiropractor and acupuncture. I still have no relief.

Comment from: Ssmccartney, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have suffered from sacroiliac joint pain for 3 years now. I have done physical therapy, 3 SI injections, I continuously see a chiropractor. And have had no relief my pain varies from an irritation to I can"t get out of bed.

Comment from: Shannmack, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had injections for my SI pain about 4 months ago. They have made a huge difference but every once in a while I have a flare up. I stretch and take a couple of Advil and apply ice and sometimes that works. Other days I just have to ride it out.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?