Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience

Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).

Comment from: tristin t, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I had SI joint pain for several years. I finally tried a chiropractor. It works really well and doesn't hurt to have it treated. The pain medications and the shots only seemed to mask the pain temporarily, the chiropractic therapy seemed to fix it. It seems to return slowly over a period of 2 months, so every few months I go back to the chiropractor and get another adjustment.

Comment from: Mel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I fell at my work place, broke my wrist and fell hard on my right side. I went through physiotherapy, received cortisone shots into my right hip which was very painful. After finding no improvement I had an MRI revealing an annular tear to my lower spine and some bulging discs. I received two injection sessions but no relief. Every doctor I've seen have mentioned S1 joint. I just had an IME (independent medical examination) and he was also mentioning the sacroiliac joint. I hope someone figures out something that will relieve this horrible pain!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have suffered from what is known as sacroiliac joint dysfunction for about 15 years and after an almost deadly accident it went away but now it has come back. However the difference from the other people's symptoms is that my pain doesn't go away unless I am moving or walking. I cannot sit or lie down for a long time. I do yoga and swimming and that helps a lot.

Comment from: Joanna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I started having sacroiliac joint pain 25 years ago when I was pregnant with my son. I was told I had a stretched ligament and was given some exercises, which I did for a while, and I guess they helped. I have the most trouble with sleeping. From time to time, I have had back spasms while trying to rise from a seated position. At those times, I cannot turn in bed without holding onto the bed to help me. Recently, I started having hip pain on the same side. I've also had pain down my leg for a long time. The other week, I had to have my daughter help me dress and use crutches to walk. I made an appointment with the orthopedic doctor. By the time I got in, I was doing much better. X-rays showed nothing. Today I had my first visit with the physiotherapist. She used ultrasound and electrical stimulation and gave me some exercises to do.

Comment from: Cheryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

It's been 31 days since I went to the ER, in excruciating pain. They X-rayed my hip and back and found nothing and sent me home with a prescription for pain pills. Second night, second day, went to ER again, still didn't find anything, I didn't want to leave the hospital because of the pain. Went to my primary and he checked me in the hospital. I was there three days and they ran MRI on my hip and lower back, still nothing. The second day in the hospital, the orthopedic doc gave me and injection for bursitis of the hip, said that should help. It didn't. Went back to primary and sent to a pain management doctor and he said I have a good looking spine and that the pain is caused by my SI joint. He still wondered why I was using a crutch though while I was in his office. It hurts to walk and my upper thigh is on fire! Went back to pain management doc today for a Cortizone injection into SI joint, it hurt like heck and he said that I was the only patient that reacted like that as far as me saying it really hurt! The injection will take one to five days to feel some relief, right now; I'm hurting and still have fire leg.

Comment from: goforit, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had my first battle with SI joint pain two weeks ago. I had severe pain in my left hip. I thought I had a kidney stone, but there were no other symptoms pointing to that. I explained to ER doctor that the pain was in the left hip area, and hurt all the way through the left side and down the front of the left leg. He did a CT of my abdomen. Then he sent me home with a prescription for Tylenol #3 with instructions for me to follow up with my primary care physician for "abdominal pain and vomiting." I had no abdominal pain other than that radiating from the hip, and I had no nausea or vomiting. After reading that so many of you have suffered with this for years, it makes me glad that I am an old lady!

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?