Patient Comments: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Experience

Please describe your experience with sacroiliac joint dysfunction (si joint pain).

Comment from: Gail, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I hurt my back 12 years ago lifting a wheelchair student. I had injections for 2 years, and finally had L4/L5 fused. This helped a lot but caused RLS (restless leg syndrome), terrible to say the least. Now the doctor says T11/T12 are herniated/bulging. Two other doctors say I have bursitis. I went to pain management today and this doctor says it's the sacroiliac (SI) joint dysfunction. I had injections in the SI joint today. The neurologist also says I have fibromyalgia.

Comment from: Alice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I've been having lower back pain for 3 years now. I've been on the strongest pain medications and I still have a lot of pain. The doctor told me I have a touch of arthritis and a lot of wear and tear. I've been to a lot of doctors and can't seem to get any relief. Maybe it is my sacroiliac joint and not arthritis how do I find this out!

Comment from: Tim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

My background - power lifter from the age of 18 to 35. Over that time I injured my back several times however it always healed. In 2009 I injured it lifting a heavy object. It never recovered. Since then I have had a discectomy, a spinal cord stimulator and a L4/L5 fusion done. Beginning in 2010 I started having both the sciatic lumbar related pain and an incredible, horrifying, mind numbing pain in my left hip/pelvic area. From 2010 until this past May (2014) doctors overlooked the hip pain and believed it was tied into the lumbar issues. Finally the surgeon literally jammed his thumb into my sacroiliac (SI) joint and I nearly jumped across the room it hurt so badly. A CT scan later indicated I had sacroiliitis. I later had a spinal injection to both sides of my SI joint. The injections gave me 48 hours of pain free existence for the first time in 4.5 years. Next step is minimally invasive SI fusion. Hoping that it works and I can get my life back!

Comment from: truepits, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I had no sacroiliac (SI) joint pain until after two back surgeries, the second being a low back fusion. After the second surgery I had hamstring weakness and drop foot. I can only push down with my left leg and not pick it up. So when I walk I drag my leg. This is constantly twisting my hip and puts a strain on my SI joint with every step. So I do not want to walk now if that's what you want to call it. So I traded the electric shock wave pain down my leg for SI joint pain. Both are equally bad. And since I had back fusions they say I am not eligible for SI joint fusion. If you can avoid it, I mean all surgeries have their risk. That's why they make you sign the paper.

Comment from: Dfoody, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

To Kathy, after eight years of bad pain I finally had sacroiliac (SI) joint fusion and six months later I have my life back. Check into this, the procedure came from Europe and was approved in the US in 2010. There are not many doctors trained in this procedure but you can contact iFuse and they will send a list of qualified doctors in your area. I walk every day, kayak and now shop.

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

After 5 years trying so many different things and wasting tons of money, nothing has worked. I am hoping for surgical fusion intervention for sacroiliac (SI) joint dysfunction and a trapped sciatic nerve. My right side from the hip started with a slight dull ache and has progressed to total weakness, needing a walker 100% of the time. I had to research myself all these years and thanks to finally being able to get insurance, I will demand a specialist trained in these areas. Hope this helps someone!

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

For many years I have had low back pain. I have been told that my sacroiliac joint gets stuck in, I guess you would say the "open position"; it rolls out of the joint and gets stuck. I have been to physical therapists, doctors, and chiropractors. I visit them two to three times a week with some relief. It still is painful when I stand more than a few minutes. My quality of life has been truly hindered by this.

Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your SI joint pain?