Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your rotavirus infection?

Comment from: Laura, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I caught rotavirus about a week ago, and I couldn't resist even the first day with self-medication. I have taken Amoebriz, amoxicillin, albendazole and liters of Pedialyte. I have had to know what was going on, the pain was awful, and I barely made myself to the emergency room. They gave me more antibiotics, anti-diarrheic medicine, pain killers and more Pedialyte. I still have to deal with muscular pain and stomach sores. The doctor said no fast food, dairy products of sodas for 15 days.

Comment from: Pipsta, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My 4 year old son caught rotavirus at daycare (diagnosed at the lab). He had vomiting all day on day 1 and a temperature for 2 days. Then he had diarrhea 3 to 4 times a day for 7 days. He lost a lot of weight but we managed to keep his fluids up with ice blocks. I was obsessive about cleanliness, separate towels/toothbrushes/cups, etc., and the rest of the family (6 year old) did not catch it. I cleaned the toilet/hand basin every time he used it. Yes, this was a horrible virus that took it out of us all but just wanted to say that we managed it with good hygiene. We kept visitors away from the house for a week and only let him back to day care 48 hours after his last episode of diarrhea.

Comment from: the best gma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I"ve had the rotavirus for a week now. I was up, I kid you not, every 5 minutes at night with watery diarrhea. As soon as my exhausted body would start relaxing to sleep I was up running to the bathroom again. I was dehydrated. The only food I could keep in my body was the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and dry toast) but being diabetic that was bad for my sugar due to all the starch. My blood pressure was extremely low also. I also had horrible stomach pains and it gurgled all the time. I tell you, a couple of days there I really felt like I wasn"t going to make it. Thank goodness I did. I just went back to work today and am tired but feel okay. There is nothing the doctor can do because it"s a virus.

Comment from: lily5, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I just ended 7 days of having the rotavirus. In the midst of it, it seemed like there was no end in sight, my diarrhea did not improve or let up until it finally stopped. Day 1 and 2 I had stomach pain, constant watery diarrhea (every 10-30 minutes), nausea, and vomiting. Day 3 to 7 I had constant watery diarrhea and stomach pain (gas and gurgling in my intestines constantly, even after only having a bit of liquid to drink). I was wiped out the whole time; couldn"t work, sleeping all day. I had no idea this virus even existed, let alone that there were vaccines for it! Ugh, hope to never have it again. Thank goodness for electrolyte drinks (they kept me out of the hospital), I would cut them with 1/2 water to keep things down.

Comment from: Mari, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I caught rotavirus from a young visitor to my home who had refused vaccinations. First came severe diarrhea then nonstop vomiting, I was in hospital for over 2 weeks and 4 times after that. It can be a killer from dehydration and is more serious for some than others.

Comment from: Jan, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My daughter had the rotavirus when we lived in Canada 20 years ago and ended up in hospital for a week and from having it. She has not been having any milk products since.

Comment from: cpmusic92, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I got this horrible virus when I was seven. I couldn't stop throwing up and became dehydrated. I also had severe diarrhea. My dad took me to the doctor and the doctor sent me to a nearby emergency medical center. I had to have an IV and a tube down my nose. I was then taken to the hospital by ambulance and stayed there the next four days.

Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rotavirus.
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.
Rotavirus - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) did you receive for your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Vaccine Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the rotavirus vaccine?