Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your rotavirus?

Comment from: cpmusic92, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I got this horrible virus when I was seven. I couldn't stop throwing up and became dehydrated. I also had severe diarrhea. My dad took me to the doctor and the doctor sent me to a nearby emergency medical center. I had to have an IV and a tube down my nose. I was then taken to the hospital by ambulance and stayed there the next four days.

Comment from: virusfromhell2012, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had diarrhea so badly, it was hard not to stay hydrated with the frequency of bathroom visits. And I am talking about 10 visits to the toilet in a day. No throwing up just door number 2. My potassium was depleted and had to take supplements. I felt so weak and tired; I thought I was going to die. I could kill the person who gave this to me. I have not been resting as I should and it has prolonged my wonderful experience with this virus, now 2 weeks almost 3. I am single and live alone so I have to keep walking to the store for Gatorade and PowerAde, bananas and what not. It sucks. I have been hydrating like crazy and have even made my own rice milk drink. It is still in my system because I have a high white blood cell count. This rotavirus is a nightmare. And you can do very little about it because it is a virus. Just hydrate like crazy and call your doctor to get lab tests for potassium levels. This scared me to death. Sheesh!!!!!

Comment from: Jing B, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 26

My 2 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed with rotavirus 3 days ago after suffering from all the symptoms, vomiting, fever and severe diarrhea. She might have acquired it from playing a lot and too long in kids play area inside the malls. She became so weak and could barely move for 3 days. She will vomit right after drinking her milk. The worst part was, she's having a reaction with a certain rehydration fluid. She was admitted for 2 hours and was given an IV fluid; unfortunately she again had a reaction. Her face was all red and red spots on her chest and arms. After she was diagnosed with rotavirus, we were advised to stop giving her usual milk instead fed her lactose free milk. The virus reacts to any dairy products taken in by the infected kid/person. To all parents, please be very careful especially with our little ones. Always be cautious and alert! Washing of hands right after playing or using the toilet is a big MUST!

Comment from: vixennls, Published: April 08

My daughter has a feeding tube and does not take much oral consumption. When she started out with a cold and then started drinking a lot, I knew something was not right. She was going through about three 32-ounce bottles of Pedialyte within two hours. Her electrolyte levels were way below normal, her color was not right, and she was very irritable – nothing consoled her.

Comment from: Julie, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 01

My 11 month old son was hospitalized with this nasty rotavirus. Vomiting, temperature, etc. He was severely dehydrated and his heart rate rose, so he had breathing problems. I had to call an ambulance, and he had IV fluids in him for 24 hours. I am glad there is a vaccine available in the UK, it surely needs eradicating.

Comment from: Travis, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I got the rotavirus from my son and it's been one of the worst weeks of my life. Constant nausea, weakness, headache, inability to eat anything that has flavor and just constant vomiting has really destroyed my health. This virus is almost as bad as when I was covered from head to toe in poison oak. It's been 7 days and I still see no signs of getting better. I went to the hospital three times in the last week and had IVs which made me feel better, but the next day I was still sick.

Comment from: Sarah A, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

ROTAVIRUS=DEVIL. This is awful. My 4 month old son contracted it from daycare and it took everyone out one by one. Seriously this is no joke. He had diarrhea for 5 days at least 4-5 a day and on the 6th day he did have some vomiting. He didn't get the fever, but he was better Friday and on Saturday I got it. Started vomiting and diarrhea every hour on the hour from 9am to 9pm. Only thing I could keep down was ice chips. Nothing else worked broth, water, flat soda, Gatorade, saltines. It all came up! This was the worst cold/virus I have ever gotten in my whole life. I am 29!! Ughghg. Lysol everything and clean, clean, wash, wash. The virus can stay around for 4-5 days!!

Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rotavirus.
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.