Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your rotavirus infection?

Comment from: Pipsta, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My 4 year old son caught rotavirus at daycare (diagnosed at the lab). He had vomiting all day on day 1 and a temperature for 2 days. Then he had diarrhea 3 to 4 times a day for 7 days. He lost a lot of weight but we managed to keep his fluids up with ice blocks. I was obsessive about cleanliness, separate towels/toothbrushes/cups, etc., and the rest of the family (6 year old) did not catch it. I cleaned the toilet/hand basin every time he used it. Yes, this was a horrible virus that took it out of us all but just wanted to say that we managed it with good hygiene. We kept visitors away from the house for a week and only let him back to day care 48 hours after his last episode of diarrhea.

Comment from: the best gma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I"ve had the rotavirus for a week now. I was up, I kid you not, every 5 minutes at night with watery diarrhea. As soon as my exhausted body would start relaxing to sleep I was up running to the bathroom again. I was dehydrated. The only food I could keep in my body was the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and dry toast) but being diabetic that was bad for my sugar due to all the starch. My blood pressure was extremely low also. I also had horrible stomach pains and it gurgled all the time. I tell you, a couple of days there I really felt like I wasn"t going to make it. Thank goodness I did. I just went back to work today and am tired but feel okay. There is nothing the doctor can do because it"s a virus.

Comment from: lily5, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I just ended 7 days of having the rotavirus. In the midst of it, it seemed like there was no end in sight, my diarrhea did not improve or let up until it finally stopped. Day 1 and 2 I had stomach pain, constant watery diarrhea (every 10-30 minutes), nausea, and vomiting. Day 3 to 7 I had constant watery diarrhea and stomach pain (gas and gurgling in my intestines constantly, even after only having a bit of liquid to drink). I was wiped out the whole time; couldn"t work, sleeping all day. I had no idea this virus even existed, let alone that there were vaccines for it! Ugh, hope to never have it again. Thank goodness for electrolyte drinks (they kept me out of the hospital), I would cut them with 1/2 water to keep things down.

Comment from: Mari, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I caught rotavirus from a young visitor to my home who had refused vaccinations. First came severe diarrhea then nonstop vomiting, I was in hospital for over 2 weeks and 4 times after that. It can be a killer from dehydration and is more serious for some than others.

Comment from: cpmusic92, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I got this horrible virus when I was seven. I couldn't stop throwing up and became dehydrated. I also had severe diarrhea. My dad took me to the doctor and the doctor sent me to a nearby emergency medical center. I had to have an IV and a tube down my nose. I was then taken to the hospital by ambulance and stayed there the next four days.

Comment from: virusfromhell2012, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had diarrhea so badly, it was hard not to stay hydrated with the frequency of bathroom visits. And I am talking about 10 visits to the toilet in a day. No throwing up just door number 2. My potassium was depleted and had to take supplements. I felt so weak and tired; I thought I was going to die. I could kill the person who gave this to me. I have not been resting as I should and it has prolonged my wonderful experience with this virus, now 2 weeks almost 3. I am single and live alone so I have to keep walking to the store for Gatorade and PowerAde, bananas and what not. It sucks. I have been hydrating like crazy and have even made my own rice milk drink. It is still in my system because I have a high white blood cell count. This rotavirus is a nightmare. And you can do very little about it because it is a virus. Just hydrate like crazy and call your doctor to get lab tests for potassium levels. This scared me to death. Sheesh!!!!!

Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rotavirus.
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.
Rotavirus - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) did you receive for your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Vaccine Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the rotavirus vaccine?