Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your rotavirus?

Comment from: the best gma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I"ve had the rotavirus for a week now. I was up, I kid you not, every 5 minutes at night with watery diarrhea. As soon as my exhausted body would start relaxing to sleep I was up running to the bathroom again. I was dehydrated. The only food I could keep in my body was the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and dry toast) but being diabetic that was bad for my sugar due to all the starch. My blood pressure was extremely low also. I also had horrible stomach pains and it gurgled all the time. I tell you, a couple of days there I really felt like I wasn"t going to make it. Thank goodness I did. I just went back to work today and am tired but feel okay. There is nothing the doctor can do because it"s a virus.

Comment from: lily5, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I just ended 7 days of having the rotavirus. In the midst of it, it seemed like there was no end in sight, my diarrhea did not improve or let up until it finally stopped. Day 1 and 2 I had stomach pain, constant watery diarrhea (every 10-30 minutes), nausea, and vomiting. Day 3 to 7 I had constant watery diarrhea and stomach pain (gas and gurgling in my intestines constantly, even after only having a bit of liquid to drink). I was wiped out the whole time; couldn"t work, sleeping all day. I had no idea this virus even existed, let alone that there were vaccines for it! Ugh, hope to never have it again. Thank goodness for electrolyte drinks (they kept me out of the hospital), I would cut them with 1/2 water to keep things down.

Comment from: Mari, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I caught rotavirus from a young visitor to my home who had refused vaccinations. First came severe diarrhea then nonstop vomiting, I was in hospital for over 2 weeks and 4 times after that. It can be a killer from dehydration and is more serious for some than others.

Comment from: cpmusic92, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I got this horrible virus when I was seven. I couldn't stop throwing up and became dehydrated. I also had severe diarrhea. My dad took me to the doctor and the doctor sent me to a nearby emergency medical center. I had to have an IV and a tube down my nose. I was then taken to the hospital by ambulance and stayed there the next four days.

Comment from: virusfromhell2012, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had diarrhea so badly, it was hard not to stay hydrated with the frequency of bathroom visits. And I am talking about 10 visits to the toilet in a day. No throwing up just door number 2. My potassium was depleted and had to take supplements. I felt so weak and tired; I thought I was going to die. I could kill the person who gave this to me. I have not been resting as I should and it has prolonged my wonderful experience with this virus, now 2 weeks almost 3. I am single and live alone so I have to keep walking to the store for Gatorade and PowerAde, bananas and what not. It sucks. I have been hydrating like crazy and have even made my own rice milk drink. It is still in my system because I have a high white blood cell count. This rotavirus is a nightmare. And you can do very little about it because it is a virus. Just hydrate like crazy and call your doctor to get lab tests for potassium levels. This scared me to death. Sheesh!!!!!

Comment from: vixennls, Published: April 08

My daughter has a feeding tube and does not take much oral consumption. When she started out with a cold and then started drinking a lot, I knew something was not right. She was going through about three 32-ounce bottles of Pedialyte within two hours. Her electrolyte levels were way below normal, her color was not right, and she was very irritable – nothing consoled her.

Comment from: Jing B, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 26

My 2 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed with rotavirus 3 days ago after suffering from all the symptoms, vomiting, fever and severe diarrhea. She might have acquired it from playing a lot and too long in kids play area inside the malls. She became so weak and could barely move for 3 days. She will vomit right after drinking her milk. The worst part was, she's having a reaction with a certain rehydration fluid. She was admitted for 2 hours and was given an IV fluid; unfortunately she again had a reaction. Her face was all red and red spots on her chest and arms. After she was diagnosed with rotavirus, we were advised to stop giving her usual milk instead fed her lactose free milk. The virus reacts to any dairy products taken in by the infected kid/person. To all parents, please be very careful especially with our little ones. Always be cautious and alert! Washing of hands right after playing or using the toilet is a big MUST!

Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rotavirus.
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.