Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your rotavirus?

Comment from: Julie, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 01

My 11 month old son was hospitalized with this nasty rotavirus. Vomiting, temperature, etc. He was severely dehydrated and his heart rate rose, so he had breathing problems. I had to call an ambulance, and he had IV fluids in him for 24 hours. I am glad there is a vaccine available in the UK, it surely needs eradicating.

Comment from: Travis, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I got the rotavirus from my son and it's been one of the worst weeks of my life. Constant nausea, weakness, headache, inability to eat anything that has flavor and just constant vomiting has really destroyed my health. This virus is almost as bad as when I was covered from head to toe in poison oak. It's been 7 days and I still see no signs of getting better. I went to the hospital three times in the last week and had IVs which made me feel better, but the next day I was still sick.

Comment from: Sarah A, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

ROTAVIRUS=DEVIL. This is awful. My 4 month old son contracted it from daycare and it took everyone out one by one. Seriously this is no joke. He had diarrhea for 5 days at least 4-5 a day and on the 6th day he did have some vomiting. He didn't get the fever, but he was better Friday and on Saturday I got it. Started vomiting and diarrhea every hour on the hour from 9am to 9pm. Only thing I could keep down was ice chips. Nothing else worked broth, water, flat soda, Gatorade, saltines. It all came up! This was the worst cold/virus I have ever gotten in my whole life. I am 29!! Ughghg. Lysol everything and clean, clean, wash, wash. The virus can stay around for 4-5 days!!

Comment from: kruggs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My symptoms of rotavirus were severe diarrhea, vomiting, headache and slight fever. The worst of the symptoms lasted approximately 24 hours, which included vomiting/dry heaving and watery diarrhea almost every half hour. To be honest, I don't believe I've ever been that sick. In fact, I told my husband that if it was possible to poop out the devil, then this was it, simply horrible.

Comment from: Marietta, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 15

My granddaughter, Tiffany who is 15 years old, had a colonoscopy January 28, 2011. Directly after the test on the 29th, she started with diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, night sweats, no appetite, and weight loss and couldn't sleep. We ended up back at the family doctor. They had taken multiple blood test, x rays, and sonograms. We are now back with the GI doctor and he ordered many tests with bowel movements. One test showed she has rotavirus. Now we are waiting on the other test. It's been over two months now and she is getting very irritable.

Comment from: Xaes Mama, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My son is 11 months old and this thing is horrendous! He started with vomiting (all night) and now it's been 3 days of diarrhea with clammy skin (feels hot at times but has no temp.). The lethargy is hardest for me, though, since he's always been active to the point of driving me MAD. Of course I have it now as well. No vomiting for me, but sooo much nausea and diarrhea. My friend caught it, but got lucky and was sick for only about 2 days.

Comment from: kate, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 10

My 2 year old has it now, with mostly the green nappies. He also had fits at the beginning, it's been hell, he was sick the first two days and his skin is always hot, but now on the 5th day, after a lot of medicines, he appears to be getting there. Though my 11 year old daughter (after staying with nan) is now in the hospital too. It's been a nightmare.

Comment from: jamier29, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

Extreme, watery diarrhea, some vomiting but not much, fever for the first two days and then switching to cold, dry skin to touch. Very lethargic, weak, dehydrated. Each family member that it got passed down to got lesser symptoms. I also had extreme abdominal pain for almost 4 days.

Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rotavirus.
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.