Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your rotavirus infection?

Comment from: Jing B, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 26

My 2 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed with rotavirus 3 days ago after suffering from all the symptoms, vomiting, fever and severe diarrhea. She might have acquired it from playing a lot and too long in kids play area inside the malls. She became so weak and could barely move for 3 days. She will vomit right after drinking her milk. The worst part was, she's having a reaction with a certain rehydration fluid. She was admitted for 2 hours and was given an IV fluid; unfortunately she again had a reaction. Her face was all red and red spots on her chest and arms. After she was diagnosed with rotavirus, we were advised to stop giving her usual milk instead fed her lactose free milk. The virus reacts to any dairy products taken in by the infected kid/person. To all parents, please be very careful especially with our little ones. Always be cautious and alert! Washing of hands right after playing or using the toilet is a big MUST!

Comment from: vixennls, Published: April 08

My daughter has a feeding tube and does not take much oral consumption. When she started out with a cold and then started drinking a lot, I knew something was not right. She was going through about three 32-ounce bottles of Pedialyte within two hours. Her electrolyte levels were way below normal, her color was not right, and she was very irritable – nothing consoled her.

Comment from: Julie, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 01

My 11 month old son was hospitalized with this nasty rotavirus. Vomiting, temperature, etc. He was severely dehydrated and his heart rate rose, so he had breathing problems. I had to call an ambulance, and he had IV fluids in him for 24 hours. I am glad there is a vaccine available in the UK, it surely needs eradicating.

Comment from: Travis, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I got the rotavirus from my son and it's been one of the worst weeks of my life. Constant nausea, weakness, headache, inability to eat anything that has flavor and just constant vomiting has really destroyed my health. This virus is almost as bad as when I was covered from head to toe in poison oak. It's been 7 days and I still see no signs of getting better. I went to the hospital three times in the last week and had IVs which made me feel better, but the next day I was still sick.

Comment from: Sarah A, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

ROTAVIRUS=DEVIL. This is awful. My 4 month old son contracted it from daycare and it took everyone out one by one. Seriously this is no joke. He had diarrhea for 5 days at least 4-5 a day and on the 6th day he did have some vomiting. He didn't get the fever, but he was better Friday and on Saturday I got it. Started vomiting and diarrhea every hour on the hour from 9am to 9pm. Only thing I could keep down was ice chips. Nothing else worked broth, water, flat soda, Gatorade, saltines. It all came up! This was the worst cold/virus I have ever gotten in my whole life. I am 29!! Ughghg. Lysol everything and clean, clean, wash, wash. The virus can stay around for 4-5 days!!

Comment from: kruggs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My symptoms of rotavirus were severe diarrhea, vomiting, headache and slight fever. The worst of the symptoms lasted approximately 24 hours, which included vomiting/dry heaving and watery diarrhea almost every half hour. To be honest, I don't believe I've ever been that sick. In fact, I told my husband that if it was possible to poop out the devil, then this was it, simply horrible.

Comment from: Marietta, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 15

My granddaughter, Tiffany who is 15 years old, had a colonoscopy January 28, 2011. Directly after the test on the 29th, she started with diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, night sweats, no appetite, and weight loss and couldn't sleep. We ended up back at the family doctor. They had taken multiple blood test, x rays, and sonograms. We are now back with the GI doctor and he ordered many tests with bowel movements. One test showed she has rotavirus. Now we are waiting on the other test. It's been over two months now and she is getting very irritable.

Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with rotavirus.
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.
Rotavirus - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) did you receive for your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Vaccine Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the rotavirus vaccine?