Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus.

Comment from: julie, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

My daughter picked up rotavirus from her cousin when she was 3. She had severe vomiting and diarrhea and was diagnosed by her pediatrician. The virus destroyed the healthy bacteria in her intestines, and she was lactose intolerant for a full six months after the infection. We had to very gradually reintroduce milk/dairy. It took a full year for her system to be back to normal and able to digest dairy.

Comment from: SinCGirlNY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I got this rotavirus from goodness knows where but it is the worst. I was feeling ok, then at 4:30 AM I couldn't stop throwing up and the runs were the worst. I had to get 2 IV bags of fluid and I'm still not great. I can keep food down but I still have the runs and my tummy is grumbling so loud. I don't wish this on anyone. I wash my hands all the time but I work with small children and I have a feeling I caught it from them. All I can say is go to the doctor and get fluids. It is a must, without those 2 IV bags I would be in the hospital for sure. I'm 44 years old and this is just a kid thing.

Comment from: samfry30, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I'm in Vietnam at the moment and I have rotavirus and bacterial gastroenteritis. I've had no vomiting, but I've suffered from extreme dehydration brought on by diarrhea. I had to go to the toilet every twenty minutes last night so I went to the emergency ward of an international clinic. They tested a stool sample and confirmed the diagnosis. I'm taking antibiotics for the bacterial infection and the diarrhea has been cleaned up by a product called Smecta. I'm feeling a bit better now, but I'm still incredibly run down. I'm drinking electrolytes and also taking a probiotic called Enterogermina. This all seems to be working, but I'm worried about my girlfriend contracting it given that she had an emergency cholecystectomy last week. This is a terrible virus.

Comment from: Lorraine Street, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Rotavirus just ran through my family. My 4-year-old daughter picked it up first while we were on our last day of vacation. She had to ride the three-hour flight back home with it, and it was the worst thing in the world. The entire night before we left, she either vomited or dry heaved at least every 15 minutes. It was uncontrollable. Then at the airport, she picked up the diarrhea along with the vomiting. It lasted two days with her. By the second day, she was taking liquids. Then I picked it up the next day. I ended up in the hospital because I felt the dehydration was going to make me pass out. All I can say is: Don't hesitate to check yourself in at the hospital. After four hours with IV fluids and anti-nausea meds, I was 90% better than when I walked into the place. My son is now fighting it. This stuff is no joke!

Comment from: RotaHater, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

Rotavirus is extremely horrible! It has gone through our family four or five times over the last seven years. I have it now. I'm on my third day with it. For us, it hits like a ton of bricks and puts you on the bathroom floor with watery vomit and diarrhea that doesn't seem as if it will ever end accompanied by the worst sick, flu-like feeling you could imagine. It's very traumatic. If this is your first time with it, the first eight to 12 hours are the worst, gradually getting better as the hours go by. The next day or two are just cramping, soreness, and fatigue, but not so much the flu-like feeling. This time I spent about 12 miserable hours on the bathroom floor. The kids usually get hospitalized for a day or two for dehydration. This stuff is extremely contagious. The white can of Lysol says on the back that it kills rotavirus. Good luck, it will pass. Stay hydrated, and go get an IV at a hospital if needed. I'm not a doctor, so this is not professional advice, just my experience; yours may be different.

Comment from: patricia, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My five-year-old daughter was just diagnosed with this. It has been horrible for her and the family to watch her go through this. She has had severe watery diarrhea and an on again off again fever for six days now. I took her to the ER last night, because she has hardly eaten this week because her stomach hurts so bad, plus I suspected dehydration. I gave her Immodium for a day because her bottom was so raw from going to the bathroom so much, but then the doctor later told me not to give it to her, because the body's was of expelling this virus is through vomiting or pooping it out. This virus is no joke.

Rotavirus - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your rotavirus?
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.