Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus.

Comment from: Diane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I saw my general physician today and he thinks I had/have rotavirus. It began 2 weeks ago. I was out to dinner (before eating) and began to feel extremely fatigued. I rushed dinner to get home to go to rest. I ran a low grade fever, but in the morning felt better and proceeded to work. I lasted about 7, not 8 hours, came home and went to bed. The next day, I felt worse, ran a fever of almost 103, stayed home and eventually went to the minor emergency room (ER) where they tested me for a UTI (urinary tract infection), which was negative. They thought it was probably a virus. I suffered at home another 4 days, unable to go to work, with a roller coaster fever between 101 and normal on alternate days. The muscle aches were terrible, and I had frequent watery diarrhea. I vomited only 1 day, and maintained my appetite for the most part, the rest of the time. I was losing the hydration battle, so I admitted myself to the ER. They noted extreme dehydration, low potassium and some loss of kidney function resulting from the dehydration. But they also noted an elevated heart enzyme (troponin) which is secreted when you have a myocardial infarction, or when your body is under stress. From then on, I was classified as a cardiac patient consuming a cardiac diet. A chest x-ray, EKG, CT scan, ultra-sound, (after which they were going to surgically remove my gall bladder, but did not!) blood cultures, a telemetry pack, 3 stool samples and urinalysis, as well as an echocardiogram and nuclear stress test were all negative, but not before they nearly scared me to death from all the speculation! I was treated with potassium chloride IVS, as well as infusions of antibiotics, though I never had an elevated white count. What a nightmare! I was discharged after 4 awful days in the hospital, with the insight that I had a gastroenterological virus! I still had watery diarrhea and a low-grade fever upon discharge. I came home, invoked the BRAT diet, took potassium supplements, and did not work for another 2 days, and then resumed 1/2 day before working one full day. The next day (today) I had the follow-up with my doctor, who had a lot to say about my general overall great health, but felt I had contracted the rotavirus at the school where I counsel military students. He said I was doing well, but probably would not be 100 percent for another week or two. Can you believe it! I am 70 years old, have beat cancer, walk 7 miles a day, take only medicines for high blood pressure, and have been sick 2 times in the last 15 years. This bug almost did me in! I do not wish it on my worst enemy.

Comment from: Holly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I caught rotavirus from the kids I work with. Day one was extreme fatigue, followed that evening by muscle aches and fever. No head symptoms (sore throat, congestion) whatsoever, which made me realize this wasn't the usual flu. Nausea started that evening and continued for several days. By that evening and the following day I couldn't even try to prepare food without almost vomiting from the sight of it. For the next few days I couldn't get out of bed, or eat. I couldn't move without horrendous stomach pain and have never felt so tired and weak. Watery diarrhea didn't set in until the last few days. I lost about 5 pounds from the experience.

Comment from: Dara, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 23

My daughter who is 2 years old was diagnosed with rotavirus 7 days ago. She vomited twice and had diarrhea three times, all in the course of two hours. I took her to the emergency room since she started to look pale and weak. They gave her IV and took blood samples whereby she was diagnosed with rotavirus. This stuff is no joke. She is still sick today and I'm taking her back to the doctor tomorrow since her medicine has run out. She had no fever and thankfully her diarrhea is only 4 times a day maximum. Even then she lost 2 pounds in the first 2 days of being sick. So if your kid starts to vomit and have diarrhea, better ask for blood or stool samples to be taken. Luckily, my daughter has had the rotavirus vaccine prior to this, so it's not as bad as some of the other cases. But still, it's worrying for a mom.

Comment from: Mommy1, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

My 2 years 4 months old got the rotavirus during our trip to Houston, Texas. Episodes of vomiting exhausted him more than the diarrhea. He couldn't keep anything, literally anything inside! Eventually sucking lollipop (very little) and sips of water with long interval helped but most helpful was yoghurt that contains probiotic! Yoghurt and vitamin C (lemon juice, orange) helped like magic!

Rotavirus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.
Rotavirus - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) did you receive for your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Vaccine Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the rotavirus vaccine?