Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus.

Comment from: Holly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I caught rotavirus from the kids I work with. Day one was extreme fatigue, followed that evening by muscle aches and fever. No head symptoms (sore throat, congestion) whatsoever, which made me realize this wasn't the usual flu. Nausea started that evening and continued for several days. By that evening and the following day I couldn't even try to prepare food without almost vomiting from the sight of it. For the next few days I couldn't get out of bed, or eat. I couldn't move without horrendous stomach pain and have never felt so tired and weak. Watery diarrhea didn't set in until the last few days. I lost about 5 pounds from the experience.

Comment from: Dara, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 23

My daughter who is 2 years old was diagnosed with rotavirus 7 days ago. She vomited twice and had diarrhea three times, all in the course of two hours. I took her to the emergency room since she started to look pale and weak. They gave her IV and took blood samples whereby she was diagnosed with rotavirus. This stuff is no joke. She is still sick today and I'm taking her back to the doctor tomorrow since her medicine has run out. She had no fever and thankfully her diarrhea is only 4 times a day maximum. Even then she lost 2 pounds in the first 2 days of being sick. So if your kid starts to vomit and have diarrhea, better ask for blood or stool samples to be taken. Luckily, my daughter has had the rotavirus vaccine prior to this, so it's not as bad as some of the other cases. But still, it's worrying for a mom.

Comment from: Mommy1, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

My 2 years 4 months old got the rotavirus during our trip to Houston, Texas. Episodes of vomiting exhausted him more than the diarrhea. He couldn't keep anything, literally anything inside! Eventually sucking lollipop (very little) and sips of water with long interval helped but most helpful was yoghurt that contains probiotic! Yoghurt and vitamin C (lemon juice, orange) helped like magic!

Comment from: julie, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

My daughter picked up rotavirus from her cousin when she was 3. She had severe vomiting and diarrhea and was diagnosed by her pediatrician. The virus destroyed the healthy bacteria in her intestines, and she was lactose intolerant for a full six months after the infection. We had to very gradually reintroduce milk/dairy. It took a full year for her system to be back to normal and able to digest dairy.

Comment from: SinCGirlNY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I got this rotavirus from goodness knows where but it is the worst. I was feeling ok, then at 4:30 AM I couldn't stop throwing up and the runs were the worst. I had to get 2 IV bags of fluid and I'm still not great. I can keep food down but I still have the runs and my tummy is grumbling so loud. I don't wish this on anyone. I wash my hands all the time but I work with small children and I have a feeling I caught it from them. All I can say is go to the doctor and get fluids. It is a must, without those 2 IV bags I would be in the hospital for sure. I'm 44 years old and this is just a kid thing.

Comment from: Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am a transplant patient and on immunosuppressant drugs. I got rotavirus and just spent 3 days in the hospital getting rehydrated. No idea where I picked it up but it was the worst diarrhea I have ever had. They gave me 4 liters IV to get me rehydrated. This stuff is awful!

Comment from: samfry30, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I'm in Vietnam at the moment and I have rotavirus and bacterial gastroenteritis. I've had no vomiting, but I've suffered from extreme dehydration brought on by diarrhea. I had to go to the toilet every twenty minutes last night so I went to the emergency ward of an international clinic. They tested a stool sample and confirmed the diagnosis. I'm taking antibiotics for the bacterial infection and the diarrhea has been cleaned up by a product called Smecta. I'm feeling a bit better now, but I'm still incredibly run down. I'm drinking electrolytes and also taking a probiotic called Enterogermina. This all seems to be working, but I'm worried about my girlfriend contracting it given that she had an emergency cholecystectomy last week. This is a terrible virus.

Rotavirus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.
Rotavirus - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) did you receive for your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Vaccine Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the rotavirus vaccine?