Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus.

Published: July 10

My son had rotavirus when he was one knew and it came and left several times before a nurse could tell me what it was. She knew by the smell of his diaper. We had to feed him liquid every 30 minutes and just hold him and clean up the mess he was making. He lost a lot of weight. He now has it again, at age 2. I know this because he has the same RING around his swollen belly button. I cannot find anyone talking about this ring around the belly button. It itches, but it was a sign early on so we have been hydrating him with the vitamin water for toddlers and letting him go hog wild with bowls of chicken noodle soup. Personally, I crush up vitamin C and put in his soup. It has been 2 days and he is looking fine, still sleeping a lot but, hydrated and happy.

Comment from: Jokes, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I lost my son a year ago to rotavirus. There is very little awareness about this virus. Many doctors in Nigeria know little about it and this leads to the death of many children from this virus. If parents are properly educated about this virus, deaths will be prevented.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My one year old son is now just recovering from this horrible virus. He got it 4 days ago, and we have gone to the ER twice and his doctor twice! Nobody could tell me what it was they just said it was the stomach flu, well I just found out from his baby sitter that 5 of the kids that she watches were in the hospital because they all had Rotavirus, and it all started the same day as my son's case.

Comment from: 1mommy, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My daughter was extremely sick at nine and a half months old with Rotavirus. She got all three vaccines and still got it. It lasted 2 weeks and was terrifying as a parent to have to watch. Everyone in our household all got sick as well but ours only lasted for 24-48 hours. I quickly sterilized every inch of my entire house with baby safe products. She was hospitalized, but they sent her home still throwing up and with diarrhea because there isn't much they can do other than keeping her hydrated.

Comment from: semisebast, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My 4 year-old son currently, has the Rotavirus he began with symptoms saturday night with loose stools and on the 3rd day vomiting everything he would drink this is now Thursday and he still has loose stools and goes twice a day he has been eating, but he complains of stomach pain. I have been giving him Gatorade and Imodium Ad but I don't think the Imodium helped although he still has diarrhea I am sending him to school since I missed 3 days from work and he from school apparently, he is going to have this for the full 10 days hopefully, not.

Comment from: Sarah, 0-2 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

My daughter got the rotavirus vaccine at 2 months, but she ended up getting all the symptoms pretty bad within that week. After that the docs said to forgo the rest of the vaccines for it. She is now 2 and has had it about 4 times. It has such a distinct odor that you can tell what it is right away. Luckily with plenty of rest and fluids (and a whole lot of diapers, wipies and diaper rash ointment for all that wiping) she always feel better in less than a week.

Rotavirus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.
Rotavirus - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) did you receive for your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Vaccine Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the rotavirus vaccine?