Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus.

Comment from: megnicpar, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My daughter is 9 months old. It started with her being clingy and cranky, both of which are very different for her. As well as eating half the amount she normally did for both lunch and dinner. The following morning she surprised me with a very full diarrhea diaper, also not normal for her. That was the beginning. She proceeded to throw up once and have 13 diarrhea diapers before my sister and I took her to the E.R. as per the Pediatricians recommendation. She had 2 more diarrhea diapers in the 3 1/2 hours we were there and would not drink the Pedialyte she was given by the nurse. We were discharged due to her having 3 wet diapers in the past 8 hours. The next morning she threw up again and was still having diarrhea so we went to see the Pediatrician as per the E.R. recommendation. My daughter had 2 diarrhea diapers while at the Pediatrician's office, and she threw up on the doctor's shoes as well as all over the floor. Throughout the day she was exhausted and wanted to be held unless she was sleeping. I followed the Pediatrician's strict instructions to get and keep fluids in her. The 3rd morning she woke me when she threw up while on her back, and soon had another diarrhea diaper approx. 6 diapers the entire day. She was very lethargic that day. Trying to push fluids as much as we could. She just wanted to be held and sleep. We are on our fourth day now, she throws up in the morning, approx. 30 min or so after her morning feeding.

Comment from: scared, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 10

My son had rotavirus at 11 months in 2006. It started with him vomiting four times within three hours in the middle of the night. Then he had light green, very noxious smelling diarrhea after every bottle of milk. We were very scared and had to take him to the emergency room. He wasn't dehydrated, fortunately, but he was weak and lethargic, and it lasted for about two weeks. We brought him to urgent care a week later because he still had diarrhea five to six times a day.

Comment from: Quilter, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Children are not the only ones who get this rotavirus. I am 70 years young, and I have had this terrible thing going on for the past two months. I became terribly dehydrated and my blood pressure dropped 62 points. I also missed quite a bit of work. I slept a lot between bouts in the bathroom. I was very weak. Now I'm on the mend and back to work. I'm slowly gaining my strength back but still sleeping a lot. My personal interests are still on hold. This was not a fun thing to get.

Comment from: patricia, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 20

My five-year-old daughter was just diagnosed with this. It has been horrible for her and the family to watch her go through this. She has had severe watery diarrhea and an on again off again fever for six days now. I took her to the ER last night, because she has hardly eaten this week because her stomach hurts so bad, plus I suspected dehydration. I gave her Immodium for a day because her bottom was so raw from going to the bathroom so much, but then the doctor later told me not to give it to her, because the body's was of expelling this virus is through vomiting or pooping it out. This virus is no joke.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

I caught the rotavirus from a baby. Thank goodness all i had was diaherra for 7 days. Then my special needs sister got it horribly. 9 hours of vomiting and along came the diarrhea. She caught it on a Wednesday and now it is Sunday and still has diarrhea. It is a horrible virus

Comment from: 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 15

My 3-year-old had rotavirus. She was in the hospital for four days on IV fluids. She was very sick. Her temperature went up to 105.2. She couldn't keep down anything. She slept all day until the nurse would come in, and even then sometimes she wouldn't wake up.

Comment from: Niehle, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 30

My little one year old is going through rotavirus right now. It came on while she was also battling strep throat so we weren't sure what were symptoms of strep and what was not, until one nasty diaper that caused her bottom and genitalia to become cardinal red and blister in one hour. I did notice white, tiny round things in her stool and I guess that's the "wheel" they were referring to in the article. We are on our third day and she is doing much better. Some helpful hints: Lotrimin cream on any red, bumpy areas (can be yeast) and Milk of Magnesia lightly tapped onto the red area. Lastly, a bath with baking soda really helps take the burn (acid) out of the skin. Hope this helps someone who, like me, had no idea what to do.

Rotavirus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.
Rotavirus - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) did you receive for your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Vaccine Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the rotavirus vaccine?