Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus.

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My daughter had rotavirus around the age of 11ish months. It was horrible. I also got it from her. She was sick for a couple weeks and lost 5 pounds. Thankfully I am what my friends call a paranoid mom and the second she got diarrhea I called the doctor and got her in the next day. Good thing I did, I started to rehydrate her and it's what saved her life! Now at 18.5 months, we think she might have it again! Thankfully, not as severe as last time. Honestly the best thing to do is listen to their cues. Keep them cool, hydrated with lots of fluids. Be patient. It's hard, both times now I myself have gotten it from my daughter, the first time the pain was to the point that I couldn't even move without screaming, so hard with an 11 month old. If your child is showing ANY symptoms get them into the doctor IMMEDIATELY.

Comment from: terrified, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My daughter is getting over rotavirus right now. She has been sick for two weeks. She was hospitalized during the mist of this, the second time taking her into the ER. They never told us what it might be the first time we were there. They did tell us adults do not get it, which is absolutely not true! Her father, two grand parents, and I all got this! Our only lasted for 24-48 hours though. Her diarrhea was yellow and smell like nothing I had ever experienced. It was coming out of her diaper and was extremely runny. She would often have 7 diapers like this in one hour! She was throwing up after every bottle or feeding. I stay home with her, and she is rarely around other children so this is so contagious that she caught it from another child she was barely around.

Comment from: tuckerkathyl, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My 2 1/2 year old son was released from the hospital yesterday with Rotavirus. It started at Midnight 2 days before with vomiting. The vomit was very thick with very little fluids. He vomited until about 2:30 am then finally went to sleep. The next morning we were wakened by very severe diarrhea. When I went to change his diaper it was still pouring out like water. It was green. He was still vomiting so we took him to the Emergency Room. He had 10 diarrhea filled diapers in the span we were in the ER and vomited while they were giving him IV fluids. They had already confirmed it was the Rotavirus, but was hoping that he would be able to keep foods down orally. We was then admitted and given IV Phenergan to stop the vomiting. He started a severe fever about 8:00 pm that night around 105 degrees. It improved with Tylenol then started back 3 hours later. It went up to 103 degrees. Motrin was then given and it stayed down until the morning. His diarrhea persisted throughout the night. Now a green mucous like diarrhea. The next morning was still questionable. He was given Motrin again and was continued on IV fluids. 3 hours later he was like a new child. He is at home and still having diarrhea. We are having difficulty getting him to drink fluids. He did not have a wet diaper this morning when he woke up. He is drinking his lactose free milk however, and some hydration replenishing fluids. His diaper rash is horrendous and we have used everything on the market as well as prescription. We are checking him every 15 to 30 minutes. The diarrhea is till watery and green. The doctor said it would last up to 1 - 2weeks.

Comment from: megnicpar, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My daughter is 9 months old. It started with her being clingy and cranky, both of which are very different for her. As well as eating half the amount she normally did for both lunch and dinner. The following morning she surprised me with a very full diarrhea diaper, also not normal for her. That was the beginning. She proceeded to throw up once and have 13 diarrhea diapers before my sister and I took her to the E.R. as per the Pediatricians recommendation. She had 2 more diarrhea diapers in the 3 1/2 hours we were there and would not drink the Pedialyte she was given by the nurse. We were discharged due to her having 3 wet diapers in the past 8 hours. The next morning she threw up again and was still having diarrhea so we went to see the Pediatrician as per the E.R. recommendation. My daughter had 2 diarrhea diapers while at the Pediatrician's office, and she threw up on the doctor's shoes as well as all over the floor. Throughout the day she was exhausted and wanted to be held unless she was sleeping. I followed the Pediatrician's strict instructions to get and keep fluids in her. The 3rd morning she woke me when she threw up while on her back, and soon had another diarrhea diaper approx. 6 diapers the entire day. She was very lethargic that day. Trying to push fluids as much as we could. She just wanted to be held and sleep. We are on our fourth day now, she throws up in the morning, approx. 30 min or so after her morning feeding.

Comment from: scared, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 10

My son had rotavirus at 11 months in 2006. It started with him vomiting four times within three hours in the middle of the night. Then he had light green, very noxious smelling diarrhea after every bottle of milk. We were very scared and had to take him to the emergency room. He wasn't dehydrated, fortunately, but he was weak and lethargic, and it lasted for about two weeks. We brought him to urgent care a week later because he still had diarrhea five to six times a day.

Rotavirus - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your rotavirus?
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.