Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus.

Comment from: stacela, Published: March 25

My son was diagnosed with rotavirus today. His symptoms include fever, stomach cramping, watery diarrhea, and vomiting. If he eats or drinks anything, it does not stay down. We have been told he's not dehydrated even though he has dry lips, veins are not showing in his wrists as usual, and when you push on his skin, the color does not come back. We were told to look under his tongue for saliva. Also, we were told that symptoms would last five to 10 days.

Comment from: newbaby52008, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My 9month old son has just came out of hospital, he started off with the runs then being sick every time he ate, one night he woke screaming and vomited all over then caught his breath and couldn't get it back so we had to phone an ambulance that took him straight to hospital and was told he had a virus. On the day we were told he could go home he started to vomit severely, so doctors kept him in to keep eye on him. He lost 2 months worth of weight; it was distressing to watch him go through it. Oh and he had watery poo all the time. He had x-rays done, blood tests and poo tests then at night he was weak so doctors put him on a drip, but he still continued to vomit and have the runs so docs came round and said to take him home to see how he progresses at home as he could be picking more infections up in the hospital and today he is getting better, having solid poo's and no sick for 24hrs, so looks like he on the mend. Got all tests back fine appart from his poo they found the rotavirus infection so that was a relief to know what it actualy was.

Comment from: mattysmom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My 4yr old son got this horrible virus on a Sunday morning, starting with diarrhea. I have never in my life smelled anything so bad. About 2 hours later he was vomiting and running a fever. We are now on day 6 and still having bouts of either throwing up or diarrhea. After 5 days I took him to the Doctor only to find out there is nothing to do but let it run it's course. He is very lethargic and sleeping all the time, which is very unusual. I hope and pray that he never gets it again! Thankfully he really was listening to Miss Claire when she told him that he needed to drink or he would have to go to the hospital for IV fluids. Any mom reading this if you child is getting it or has it, keep them away from dairy products they only make the virus worse.

Comment from: cmriz83, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My 19 month old son is currently in the hospital with this diagnosis. He was unable to keep any liquids or solids down for three days and became severely dehydrated. I took him to the emergency room and they immediately placed him on an IV. This will be his second night there and they will release him tomorrow. It's amazing to me how fast he declined in three days. His symptoms started on Tuesday and I took him to the hospital Thursday night. The doctors said that it was great that brought him in because of the condition he was in. The pediatrician saw him on Tuesday and I was going to bring him back on Friday, but just looking at him I knew it couldn't wait. To the moms out there, you know your children, and you know if something is wrong. Trust your instinct. I knew he wouldn't make the night and I'm glad I trusted myself.

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My daughter had rotavirus around the age of 11ish months. It was horrible. I also got it from her. She was sick for a couple weeks and lost 5 pounds. Thankfully I am what my friends call a paranoid mom and the second she got diarrhea I called the doctor and got her in the next day. Good thing I did, I started to rehydrate her and it's what saved her life! Now at 18.5 months, we think she might have it again! Thankfully, not as severe as last time. Honestly the best thing to do is listen to their cues. Keep them cool, hydrated with lots of fluids. Be patient. It's hard, both times now I myself have gotten it from my daughter, the first time the pain was to the point that I couldn't even move without screaming, so hard with an 11 month old. If your child is showing ANY symptoms get them into the doctor IMMEDIATELY.

Comment from: terrified, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My daughter is getting over rotavirus right now. She has been sick for two weeks. She was hospitalized during the mist of this, the second time taking her into the ER. They never told us what it might be the first time we were there. They did tell us adults do not get it, which is absolutely not true! Her father, two grand parents, and I all got this! Our only lasted for 24-48 hours though. Her diarrhea was yellow and smell like nothing I had ever experienced. It was coming out of her diaper and was extremely runny. She would often have 7 diapers like this in one hour! She was throwing up after every bottle or feeding. I stay home with her, and she is rarely around other children so this is so contagious that she caught it from another child she was barely around.

Rotavirus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.
Rotavirus - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) did you receive for your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Vaccine Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the rotavirus vaccine?