Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus.

Comment from: mattysmom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My 4yr old son got this horrible virus on a Sunday morning, starting with diarrhea. I have never in my life smelled anything so bad. About 2 hours later he was vomiting and running a fever. We are now on day 6 and still having bouts of either throwing up or diarrhea. After 5 days I took him to the Doctor only to find out there is nothing to do but let it run it's course. He is very lethargic and sleeping all the time, which is very unusual. I hope and pray that he never gets it again! Thankfully he really was listening to Miss Claire when she told him that he needed to drink or he would have to go to the hospital for IV fluids. Any mom reading this if you child is getting it or has it, keep them away from dairy products they only make the virus worse.

Comment from: cmriz83, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My 19 month old son is currently in the hospital with this diagnosis. He was unable to keep any liquids or solids down for three days and became severely dehydrated. I took him to the emergency room and they immediately placed him on an IV. This will be his second night there and they will release him tomorrow. It's amazing to me how fast he declined in three days. His symptoms started on Tuesday and I took him to the hospital Thursday night. The doctors said that it was great that brought him in because of the condition he was in. The pediatrician saw him on Tuesday and I was going to bring him back on Friday, but just looking at him I knew it couldn't wait. To the moms out there, you know your children, and you know if something is wrong. Trust your instinct. I knew he wouldn't make the night and I'm glad I trusted myself.

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My daughter had rotavirus around the age of 11ish months. It was horrible. I also got it from her. She was sick for a couple weeks and lost 5 pounds. Thankfully I am what my friends call a paranoid mom and the second she got diarrhea I called the doctor and got her in the next day. Good thing I did, I started to rehydrate her and it's what saved her life! Now at 18.5 months, we think she might have it again! Thankfully, not as severe as last time. Honestly the best thing to do is listen to their cues. Keep them cool, hydrated with lots of fluids. Be patient. It's hard, both times now I myself have gotten it from my daughter, the first time the pain was to the point that I couldn't even move without screaming, so hard with an 11 month old. If your child is showing ANY symptoms get them into the doctor IMMEDIATELY.

Comment from: terrified, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My daughter is getting over rotavirus right now. She has been sick for two weeks. She was hospitalized during the mist of this, the second time taking her into the ER. They never told us what it might be the first time we were there. They did tell us adults do not get it, which is absolutely not true! Her father, two grand parents, and I all got this! Our only lasted for 24-48 hours though. Her diarrhea was yellow and smell like nothing I had ever experienced. It was coming out of her diaper and was extremely runny. She would often have 7 diapers like this in one hour! She was throwing up after every bottle or feeding. I stay home with her, and she is rarely around other children so this is so contagious that she caught it from another child she was barely around.

Comment from: tuckerkathyl, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My 2 1/2 year old son was released from the hospital yesterday with Rotavirus. It started at Midnight 2 days before with vomiting. The vomit was very thick with very little fluids. He vomited until about 2:30 am then finally went to sleep. The next morning we were wakened by very severe diarrhea. When I went to change his diaper it was still pouring out like water. It was green. He was still vomiting so we took him to the Emergency Room. He had 10 diarrhea filled diapers in the span we were in the ER and vomited while they were giving him IV fluids. They had already confirmed it was the Rotavirus, but was hoping that he would be able to keep foods down orally. We was then admitted and given IV Phenergan to stop the vomiting. He started a severe fever about 8:00 pm that night around 105 degrees. It improved with Tylenol then started back 3 hours later. It went up to 103 degrees. Motrin was then given and it stayed down until the morning. His diarrhea persisted throughout the night. Now a green mucous like diarrhea. The next morning was still questionable. He was given Motrin again and was continued on IV fluids. 3 hours later he was like a new child. He is at home and still having diarrhea. We are having difficulty getting him to drink fluids. He did not have a wet diaper this morning when he woke up. He is drinking his lactose free milk however, and some hydration replenishing fluids. His diaper rash is horrendous and we have used everything on the market as well as prescription. We are checking him every 15 to 30 minutes. The diarrhea is till watery and green. The doctor said it would last up to 1 - 2weeks.

Rotavirus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.
Rotavirus - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) did you receive for your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Vaccine Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the rotavirus vaccine?