Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus.

Comment from: Steven216, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I got up yesterday at 6 a.m. for work, and the rotavirus didn't hit me till I got there (40 minutes away). I carpooled so I was stuck for 10 hours. I couldn't hold down nearly anything, and threw up food from the night before; any water/drinks find their way back up. This virus has even messed with me holding down some ginger ale – I just vomit the whole drink an hour or so later. Don't even get me started on the diarrhea -- the only thing I'll say on that one is if I had some dry straw or something along those lines I could probably start a fire. I know this is not the best information, but this is just so others will know they're not alone. Then by the time I got home, I started to get the chills, followed by sweats. I've also been hit with lethargy, but can't stay asleep for more than a few hours/minutes at a time. I'm also not the type to get sick often, but when I do, watch out – it's usually something bad. It sucks, too, as this Memorial Day weekend I'm supposed to go out of town to visit some family and have a nice mini vacation, and it's also my niece's birthday on Saturday. Here's hoping I don't have it for a prolonged period. Heck, even a medical allergic reaction I had as a kid to an antibiotic, or nearly dying from another random allergic reaction didn't make me feel this bad, just itchy. I'm the only one in my household who has contracted this, even though I haven't gone to the doctor yet. My mother is a nurse with 40 years of experience, and she told me the rotavirus was going around the city. All of my symptoms point to this. If only I could slap whoever passed this to me, as I always wash my hands and such. Well I wouldn't wish this on anybody. This is the second day of the illness and I hope things don't get worse. Before today I'd never even heard of this virus.

Comment from: Stormingaston, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

My 5-year-old daughter's symptoms began with a fever, then nausea, severe vomiting, and diarrhea for five days. During the first visit to the ER, she was diagnosed with pneumonia. After three ER visits in six days, she was finally admitted to the hospital with dehydration and tested positive for the rotavirus. I believe that sometime in between a doctor's follow-up visit or the first ER visit, she contracted the rotavirus. It took three days for her to regain her appetite and she lost four pounds in six days. My symptoms began just after returning home from the hospital with my daughter. I started with a low-grade fever; then progressed to extreme nausea and uncontrollable diarrhea. The diarrhea lasted two days. I felt very weak on the third day, but was able to eat and drink. The first 32 hours were difficult to keep down any drinks. I did, however, take an anti-nausea medication that helped so I did not vomit.

Comment from: Ohvultura, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 15

Rotavirus is highly contagious. Both of my children started vomiting in the night and then getting watery diarrhea whenever they drank anything (even just a sip of water). My 20-month-old's ended after three days (but we took her to the doctor who gave her anti-diarrheal meds), and she was weak for a few days after that. My 4-year-old is on day four now and still has that obnoxious smelly, watery diarrhea with the round white "wheels" in it. This is truly the virus from hell! I have never cleaned up such a mess nor seen kids suffer with a "stomach bug" as long as this. I'm just wondering why the vaccine was never given!

Comment from: dmom07, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 06

My son is 22 months old and has had diarrhea since Monday. By Tuesday he was having 5+ watery stools a day! He hasn't wanted to eat, but wanted to drink everything in sight! We are now at Friday and last night he vomited the small amount of water he drank and then did the same this morning. When I went to get him out of his chair he held his hand up to grab mine and his hand was shaking. His legs were wobbly and he just hasn't looked well for a couple days. I did take him to urgent care Tuesday evening and they said that it was probably just a viral thing and he should get past it. But with his episode this morning I took him back and they had to do IV fluids because he was so dehydrated, which for us moms is probably one of the scariest things to watch! If I had known anything about this I would have asked them to test him on Tuesday but I had no clue. I never even heard of it! So tell all your friends that have kids if they have these symptoms to go to the doctor and ask about rotavirus! It is not the virus that's life threatening. It is the dehydration that comes with it! And my son's doctor said no Gatorade it has too much sugar. Pedialyte is best in small amounts!

Comment from: mommy22, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

My daughter is 2, and she had rotavirus. It started with just vomiting and severe watery poop. I -- being the over-protective parent -- took her to the hospital because she became very sleepy and couldn't stop vomiting and pooping. They kept her in the hospital in isolation for four days with IV fluids. It was horrible. I have a 4-month old who I hope doesn't get it. She is doing a lot better. She's eating and doesn't have a fever anymore. Now all we are dealing with is the watery poop!

Rotavirus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.
Rotavirus - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) did you receive for your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Vaccine Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the rotavirus vaccine?