Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus.

Comment from: dmom07, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 06

My son is 22 months old and has had diarrhea since Monday. By Tuesday he was having 5+ watery stools a day! He hasn't wanted to eat, but wanted to drink everything in sight! We are now at Friday and last night he vomited the small amount of water he drank and then did the same this morning. When I went to get him out of his chair he held his hand up to grab mine and his hand was shaking. His legs were wobbly and he just hasn't looked well for a couple days. I did take him to urgent care Tuesday evening and they said that it was probably just a viral thing and he should get past it. But with his episode this morning I took him back and they had to do IV fluids because he was so dehydrated, which for us moms is probably one of the scariest things to watch! If I had known anything about this I would have asked them to test him on Tuesday but I had no clue. I never even heard of it! So tell all your friends that have kids if they have these symptoms to go to the doctor and ask about rotavirus! It is not the virus that's life threatening. It is the dehydration that comes with it! And my son's doctor said no Gatorade it has too much sugar. Pedialyte is best in small amounts!

Comment from: mommy22, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

My daughter is 2, and she had rotavirus. It started with just vomiting and severe watery poop. I -- being the over-protective parent -- took her to the hospital because she became very sleepy and couldn't stop vomiting and pooping. They kept her in the hospital in isolation for four days with IV fluids. It was horrible. I have a 4-month old who I hope doesn't get it. She is doing a lot better. She's eating and doesn't have a fever anymore. Now all we are dealing with is the watery poop!

Comment from: stacela, Published: March 25

My son was diagnosed with rotavirus today. His symptoms include fever, stomach cramping, watery diarrhea, and vomiting. If he eats or drinks anything, it does not stay down. We have been told he's not dehydrated even though he has dry lips, veins are not showing in his wrists as usual, and when you push on his skin, the color does not come back. We were told to look under his tongue for saliva. Also, we were told that symptoms would last five to 10 days.

Comment from: newbaby52008, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My 9month old son has just came out of hospital, he started off with the runs then being sick every time he ate, one night he woke screaming and vomited all over then caught his breath and couldn't get it back so we had to phone an ambulance that took him straight to hospital and was told he had a virus. On the day we were told he could go home he started to vomit severely, so doctors kept him in to keep eye on him. He lost 2 months worth of weight; it was distressing to watch him go through it. Oh and he had watery poo all the time. He had x-rays done, blood tests and poo tests then at night he was weak so doctors put him on a drip, but he still continued to vomit and have the runs so docs came round and said to take him home to see how he progresses at home as he could be picking more infections up in the hospital and today he is getting better, having solid poo's and no sick for 24hrs, so looks like he on the mend. Got all tests back fine appart from his poo they found the rotavirus infection so that was a relief to know what it actualy was.

Comment from: mattysmom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My 4yr old son got this horrible virus on a Sunday morning, starting with diarrhea. I have never in my life smelled anything so bad. About 2 hours later he was vomiting and running a fever. We are now on day 6 and still having bouts of either throwing up or diarrhea. After 5 days I took him to the Doctor only to find out there is nothing to do but let it run it's course. He is very lethargic and sleeping all the time, which is very unusual. I hope and pray that he never gets it again! Thankfully he really was listening to Miss Claire when she told him that he needed to drink or he would have to go to the hospital for IV fluids. Any mom reading this if you child is getting it or has it, keep them away from dairy products they only make the virus worse.

Comment from: cmriz83, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 16

My 19 month old son is currently in the hospital with this diagnosis. He was unable to keep any liquids or solids down for three days and became severely dehydrated. I took him to the emergency room and they immediately placed him on an IV. This will be his second night there and they will release him tomorrow. It's amazing to me how fast he declined in three days. His symptoms started on Tuesday and I took him to the hospital Thursday night. The doctors said that it was great that brought him in because of the condition he was in. The pediatrician saw him on Tuesday and I was going to bring him back on Friday, but just looking at him I knew it couldn't wait. To the moms out there, you know your children, and you know if something is wrong. Trust your instinct. I knew he wouldn't make the night and I'm glad I trusted myself.

Rotavirus - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your rotavirus?
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.