Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus.

Comment from: Lorraine Street, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Rotavirus just ran through my family. My 4-year-old daughter picked it up first while we were on our last day of vacation. She had to ride the three-hour flight back home with it, and it was the worst thing in the world. The entire night before we left, she either vomited or dry heaved at least every 15 minutes. It was uncontrollable. Then at the airport, she picked up the diarrhea along with the vomiting. It lasted two days with her. By the second day, she was taking liquids. Then I picked it up the next day. I ended up in the hospital because I felt the dehydration was going to make me pass out. All I can say is: Don't hesitate to check yourself in at the hospital. After four hours with IV fluids and anti-nausea meds, I was 90% better than when I walked into the place. My son is now fighting it. This stuff is no joke!

Comment from: RotaHater, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

Rotavirus is extremely horrible! It has gone through our family four or five times over the last seven years. I have it now. I'm on my third day with it. For us, it hits like a ton of bricks and puts you on the bathroom floor with watery vomit and diarrhea that doesn't seem as if it will ever end accompanied by the worst sick, flu-like feeling you could imagine. It's very traumatic. If this is your first time with it, the first eight to 12 hours are the worst, gradually getting better as the hours go by. The next day or two are just cramping, soreness, and fatigue, but not so much the flu-like feeling. This time I spent about 12 miserable hours on the bathroom floor. The kids usually get hospitalized for a day or two for dehydration. This stuff is extremely contagious. The white can of Lysol says on the back that it kills rotavirus. Good luck, it will pass. Stay hydrated, and go get an IV at a hospital if needed. I'm not a doctor, so this is not professional advice, just my experience; yours may be different.

Comment from: bayly'smom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 25

My 18-month-old son is still recovering from rotavirus. It started with vomiting during the night. He vomited more than 15 times in the course of only five hours. Then the diarrhea began. I took him to the emergency room as per our pediatrician, and they hooked him up to an IV for dehydration. After three hours, they sent us home. Once home, he was unable to keep anything down and the diarrhea only got worse. The next morning, he woke with a high fever, and we were back to the ER. He was extremely lethargic and wanted to sleep all the time. I held him in the ER for more than seven hours before they finally admitted him to the hospital. He was hooked up to an IV again. They tested his stool, and he was diagnosed with rotavirus by the next day. He was finally able to keep liquids down, and then we slowly started him on the BRAT diet. By the fourth day in the hospital, he finally had a firm stool and was permitted to go home. This was a very traumatic experience for me as a mother to watch my small child experience. We never had quite an experience like this with our older son who is 5. It has been two weeks since this all started, and he is still on a restricted diet. He has not tolerated milk. As I have researched more about this virus, I find it important to share with others to keep milk and apple juice out of their diet. I had no idea about the “no apple juice rule,” and I have been giving it to him since we have been home. This has been very frustrating trying to figure out what to feed him and let him drink without giving him a relapse of the diarrhea. I made homemade chicken soup and that has been good.

Comment from: Steven216, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I got up yesterday at 6 a.m. for work, and the rotavirus didn't hit me till I got there (40 minutes away). I carpooled so I was stuck for 10 hours. I couldn't hold down nearly anything, and threw up food from the night before; any water/drinks find their way back up. This virus has even messed with me holding down some ginger ale – I just vomit the whole drink an hour or so later. Don't even get me started on the diarrhea -- the only thing I'll say on that one is if I had some dry straw or something along those lines I could probably start a fire. I know this is not the best information, but this is just so others will know they're not alone. Then by the time I got home, I started to get the chills, followed by sweats. I've also been hit with lethargy, but can't stay asleep for more than a few hours/minutes at a time. I'm also not the type to get sick often, but when I do, watch out – it's usually something bad. It sucks, too, as this Memorial Day weekend I'm supposed to go out of town to visit some family and have a nice mini vacation, and it's also my niece's birthday on Saturday. Here's hoping I don't have it for a prolonged period. Heck, even a medical allergic reaction I had as a kid to an antibiotic, or nearly dying from another random allergic reaction didn't make me feel this bad, just itchy. I'm the only one in my household who has contracted this, even though I haven't gone to the doctor yet. My mother is a nurse with 40 years of experience, and she told me the rotavirus was going around the city. All of my symptoms point to this. If only I could slap whoever passed this to me, as I always wash my hands and such. Well I wouldn't wish this on anybody. This is the second day of the illness and I hope things don't get worse. Before today I'd never even heard of this virus.

Rotavirus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.
Rotavirus - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) did you receive for your rotavirus infection?
Rotavirus - Vaccine Question: Did your child experience any side effects from the rotavirus vaccine?