Patient Comments: Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

I caught the rotavirus from a baby. Thank goodness all i had was diaherra for 7 days. Then my special needs sister got it horribly. 9 hours of vomiting and along came the diarrhea. She caught it on a Wednesday and now it is Sunday and still has diarrhea. It is a horrible virus

Comment from: bayly'smom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 25

My 18-month-old son is still recovering from rotavirus. It started with vomiting during the night. He vomited more than 15 times in the course of only five hours. Then the diarrhea began. I took him to the emergency room as per our pediatrician, and they hooked him up to an IV for dehydration. After three hours, they sent us home. Once home, he was unable to keep anything down and the diarrhea only got worse. The next morning, he woke with a high fever, and we were back to the ER. He was extremely lethargic and wanted to sleep all the time. I held him in the ER for more than seven hours before they finally admitted him to the hospital. He was hooked up to an IV again. They tested his stool, and he was diagnosed with rotavirus by the next day. He was finally able to keep liquids down, and then we slowly started him on the BRAT diet. By the fourth day in the hospital, he finally had a firm stool and was permitted to go home. This was a very traumatic experience for me as a mother to watch my small child experience. We never had quite an experience like this with our older son who is 5. It has been two weeks since this all started, and he is still on a restricted diet. He has not tolerated milk. As I have researched more about this virus, I find it important to share with others to keep milk and apple juice out of their diet. I had no idea about the “no apple juice rule,” and I have been giving it to him since we have been home. This has been very frustrating trying to figure out what to feed him and let him drink without giving him a relapse of the diarrhea. I made homemade chicken soup and that has been good.

Comment from: Steven216, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I got up yesterday at 6 a.m. for work, and the rotavirus didn't hit me till I got there (40 minutes away). I carpooled so I was stuck for 10 hours. I couldn't hold down nearly anything, and threw up food from the night before; any water/drinks find their way back up. This virus has even messed with me holding down some ginger ale – I just vomit the whole drink an hour or so later. Don't even get me started on the diarrhea -- the only thing I'll say on that one is if I had some dry straw or something along those lines I could probably start a fire. I know this is not the best information, but this is just so others will know they're not alone. Then by the time I got home, I started to get the chills, followed by sweats. I've also been hit with lethargy, but can't stay asleep for more than a few hours/minutes at a time. I'm also not the type to get sick often, but when I do, watch out – it's usually something bad. It sucks, too, as this Memorial Day weekend I'm supposed to go out of town to visit some family and have a nice mini vacation, and it's also my niece's birthday on Saturday. Here's hoping I don't have it for a prolonged period. Heck, even a medical allergic reaction I had as a kid to an antibiotic, or nearly dying from another random allergic reaction didn't make me feel this bad, just itchy. I'm the only one in my household who has contracted this, even though I haven't gone to the doctor yet. My mother is a nurse with 40 years of experience, and she told me the rotavirus was going around the city. All of my symptoms point to this. If only I could slap whoever passed this to me, as I always wash my hands and such. Well I wouldn't wish this on anybody. This is the second day of the illness and I hope things don't get worse. Before today I'd never even heard of this virus.

Comment from: Stormingaston, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

My 5-year-old daughter's symptoms began with a fever, then nausea, severe vomiting, and diarrhea for five days. During the first visit to the ER, she was diagnosed with pneumonia. After three ER visits in six days, she was finally admitted to the hospital with dehydration and tested positive for the rotavirus. I believe that sometime in between a doctor's follow-up visit or the first ER visit, she contracted the rotavirus. It took three days for her to regain her appetite and she lost four pounds in six days. My symptoms began just after returning home from the hospital with my daughter. I started with a low-grade fever; then progressed to extreme nausea and uncontrollable diarrhea. The diarrhea lasted two days. I felt very weak on the third day, but was able to eat and drink. The first 32 hours were difficult to keep down any drinks. I did, however, take an anti-nausea medication that helped so I did not vomit.

Comment from: Ohvultura, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 15

Rotavirus is highly contagious. Both of my children started vomiting in the night and then getting watery diarrhea whenever they drank anything (even just a sip of water). My 20-month-old's ended after three days (but we took her to the doctor who gave her anti-diarrheal meds), and she was weak for a few days after that. My 4-year-old is on day four now and still has that obnoxious smelly, watery diarrhea with the round white "wheels" in it. This is truly the virus from hell! I have never cleaned up such a mess nor seen kids suffer with a "stomach bug" as long as this. I'm just wondering why the vaccine was never given!

Rotavirus - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your rotavirus?
Rotavirus - Diagnosis Question: How was rotavirus diagnosed in you or your child? Please share your experience.