Patient Comments: Rotator Cuff - Injury

How did you injure your rotator cuff?

Comment from: kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I woke up (morning before 51th birthday) with sharp searing pain down left arm. I was first checked for heart attack, then follow-up with doctor, and MRI which showed partial tear and possible bicep tear. I was involved in exercise class 3 times per week, interval training with cardio and weights. I may have aggravated the rotator cuff area to the point of now having surgery.

Comment from: Fibi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I went to a chiropractor for my back and he tried to sell me 10 sessions of treatments which I said no to. I also insisted I didn't want any manipulation. After 2 sessions I mentioned I had a bit of a tendonitis and he did manipulation on my shoulder. The next day I was paralyzed from neck down to my shoulder and fingers. Three months later I am still in pain and cannot use my left arm. I have had MRI scan and I have been told I have a rotator cuff injury and bursitis. I am suffering every day and my life has changed because of my injury.

Comment from: jhc1115, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I had an auto accident where a car spun out of control in a snow storm and struck the tow hitch on my SUV. The next morning while getting into the car, I could not adjust the seat belt which was loose and I also noticed difficulty bending my right knee to get into the car. I saw an orthopedic surgeon about the knee and had one surgery and then a month later still another to clean an infection which lingered. I was assigned two crutches to use by the hospital physiotherapist and my left shoulder hurt badly although it was not the weak side weighing down on the crutch. After a few fumbles in getting this checked out, a pain management doctor ordered three MRIs which were done a full year after the accident and then another doctor told me I had a "full tear of the rotator cuff". It should be known that if the pain is dull or slight or, as in my case a secondary injury, it does not follow that a minor injury is being felt. I am now waiting on the auto insurer's decision on coverage for the surgery my doctor said is needed.

Comment from: Roberto, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I entered a hospital for back surgery. A day later, at home, I experienced terrible pain in my left shoulder. I went to my doctor and an x-ray revealed that I had a torn rotator cuff. While in the hospital, the nurses kept giving me pain medications even when I told them I didn't need them. I feel I was somehow injured in the hospital. It took me about 9 months to recover.

Comment from: Gracie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I fell off one of my horses, landing on the point of my right shoulder. Rest and gradual resumption of use seemed to take care of things. I was re-injured 18 months later when taking a kayak down from overhead storage straps and a buckle snapped. Both the injuries hurt now.

Comment from: Quillinan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I had a massive rotator cuff repaired using 4 anchors. The doctor was surprised that it was repaired. I was not allowed therapy for 8 weeks to avoid damage. On the 9th week when I started therapy my usual therapist with 15 years on the job was off and I got a very young inexperienced therapist. She moved my arm up almost to the top of my head and I yelled out in excruciating pain and she proceeded again. The shoulder and upper arm were swollen and bruising was extensive past my elbow. A repeat MRI revealed a tear worse than the initial tear and I was advised no surgery would help. Now I am experiencing tremors and shakes in hand severe after I do anything that requires some strength in the shoulder.

Comment from: bluesky7, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

About sixteen years ago I was wrestling around with friends when i was thrown down on my right shoulder. I went to the hospital after not being able to sleep all night and was told that my tendons had been overextended and I would need to wear my arm in a sling for a week.

Rotator Cuff - Cause Question: Was the cause of your rotator cuff disease due to repetitive strains? Please share your experience.
Rotator Cuff Disease - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of rotator cuff disease?
Rotator Cuff Disease - Treatment and Exercise Question: What kinds of treatment were effective for your rotator cuff disease? Did you have physical therapy?