Patient Comments: Rotator Cuff - Injury

How did you injure your rotator cuff?

Comment from: nmurph, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I have both shoulders repaired. I think my right shoulder cuff was a repetitive use from years of racquetball. I can't identify what happened with the left shoulder. Both shoulders were done by the same OS. The R was done 5/07 and the left was done 12/09. The right shoulder was also operated on 12/10 for a rotator tear (my son hyper-extended it in the pool the labrum repair was far more painful but a quicker recovery to regular activities). I have two very good shoulders though the right gets sore if I throw the baseball hard for long. It doesn't trouble me enough to seek advice or treatment. The left doesn't give me any problems.

Comment from: liv2ryt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

Waterskiing, a year ago, the tremendous pull of the boat on an aging (60 year old) body! It seemed to heal, but in late December, I fell in slippery snow and landed on my upper spine and shoulders--and pain arrived shortly thereafter. I went to therapy, practiced the exercises given (about 6 weeks). Pain returned in the right shoulder, neck and arm. In June, I finally received 2 cortisone shots which helped for about 2-3 weeks. Pain has returned and sometimes extends to the right elbow and hand. Today I go back to my GP for suggestions as to how (or if?) to proceed.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

I injured my rotator cuff lifting a wardrobe going up a flight of stairs. I was at the top and had to lift the furniture using just my right arm. Have had pain for the past 9 months.

Rotator Cuff - Cause Question: Was the cause of your rotator cuff disease due to repetitive strains? Please share your experience.
Rotator Cuff Disease - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of rotator cuff disease?
Rotator Cuff Disease - Treatment and Exercise Question: What kinds of treatment were effective for your rotator cuff disease? Did you have physical therapy?