Patient Comments: Rotator Cuff - Cause

Was the cause of your rotator cuff disease due to repetitive strains? Please share your experience.

Comment from: 1montaftermedicare, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I tripped over the legs of a chair that was leaning against a wall. I fell sideways with my arm over my head. It popped out of the rotator cuff and I literally exploded with pain. I went to the hospital via ambulance. The emergency room physician reduced the dislocation (popped the bone back in place) and sent me home in a sling. Pain was worse than any I have ever experienced. Every time my arm was unsupported by the sling it would fall out of place, and more severe pain! It appeared that surgeons didn't know how to fix the problem. After six months I found a doctor who did a reverse shoulder replacement a week after my initial visit to see him. It has been over 2 years and although I have some use of my arm, the shoulder aches all the time, I have shooting pain up my neck into the top of my head and am not able to hold my arm up for the time it takes to fix my hair or put on makeup. The things that used to take me 10 minutes now take upwards, to an hour. Seat belts are a bear to fasten, groceries and lifting a suitcase are entirely impossible. I am grateful for the expertise of the doctor but do not feel that a reverse shoulder replacement is the way to go when your rotator cuff is severely damaged and impossible to fix. I would go with a biological replacement (cadaver parts).

Comment from: lugnut66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have worked as a server at a high volume restaurant for 2 years. I have to carry 10 to 20 lb. trays on my shoulder. I'm experiencing constant tingling in my left arm and gnawing ache in my shoulder (like a toothache). I believe the repetitive motion has caused my rotator cuff injury. No health insurance; not much I can do.

Comment from: littledaisy, Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My doctor prescribed an antibiotic for a urinary infection his office said I had. I picked up the prescription and took it because it was necessary before he would do a surgical removal of a cube pessary stuck behind my pelvic bone. I started experiencing gradually a frozen shoulder and arm pain down to my wrist. By the second day of medications, I experienced horrible pain that wouldn't let up and began taking ibuprofen around the clock. I remembered the contraindications that came with the prescription package that spoke of pain and injury to joints, muscle and tendon pain. So I called my pharmacist and he told me the medicine would not cause the pain I was having so I continued the medication. Well, about 1:30 am I called back in excruciating pain and whoever was on duty for the nightshift put me on hold. She came back with the startling, “stop immediately. Do not take another capsule and call your doctor!” My doctor's office that prescribed the medication (gynecologist) after hearing this, also told me to stop taking that medication. The medication was cephalexin. I am 69 years old and I have never in my life had a reaction to a drug until now. My doctor doesn't believe that the medicine has caused the problem. He just attributes it to old age and arthritis, which by the way was another injury that was listed that this medicine could cause. I now experience rotator cuff problems and still pain but not frozen excruciating pain. But, still pain that can be excruciating if I use my arm. I cannot raise my arm to wash when showering under my arm. This is not normal for me or anyone else in my family who may have arthritis. I happened to see a friend two nights ago and asked how this rotator cuff disease happened to her. She said after taking medicine but her doctor said it was probably old age.

Comment from: Siri, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

I twisted my left shoulder pulling a transport incubator that weighs over 40 stone and conveys babies between hospitals, about 18 months ago. I have been having back pain since then. Two weeks ago I went for conventional X-ray which showed rotator cuff syndrome, I am starting physiotherapy but do not know what this will mean for my employment as a nurse. I am 54 years old. I also have osteopenia in the spine for the last 5 years diagnosed on DEXA scan at menopause clinic, I am trying to continue with daily activities for the time being.

Comment from: bluesky7, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

My job of fourteen years was delivering appliances. We would take carry straps and place under the appliances and carry them where ever they needed to go which caused the repetitive strain.

Comment from: medicbutch, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I can't pinpoint a recent cause. The shoulder freezes, the arm gets weak throughout the day and it is very painful to lift my arm, especially if my hand is facing supine.

Rotator Cuff - Injury Question: How did you injure your rotator cuff?
Rotator Cuff Disease - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of rotator cuff disease?
Rotator Cuff Disease - Treatment and Exercise Question: What kinds of treatment were effective for your rotator cuff disease? Did you have physical therapy?