Patient Comments: Roseola - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with roseola?

Comment from: Mom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 06

MY 8 month old had three days of fever which started with an emergency room (ER) visit for a fever of 104.3. I was sent home with an antibiotic and a diagnosis of ear infection/teething which may have been possible but I doubted. Doctor could not see in the ear canal due to wax and didn't seem 100 percent; it was infected but gave antibiotic anyway. The fever spiked to as high as 106.1, yes, 106.1 not 100.6 as the doctor said it must have been. The ER was slow to react when she was again admitted with a fever of 104.3. Within an hour it was 105.6 and they finally reacted. We were transferred to an awesome children's hospital who immediately noted swollen lymph nodes on the back of her skull (a classic symptom that I couldn't feel myself) and neck. They alternated Motrin and Tylenol until the fever broke after three days. I am waiting for the rash. Her fever spiked uncontrollably even 30 minutes after taking Motrin, she went from 104.8 to 105.8 within minutes. Check temperature rectally every 30 minutes and trust your instinct.

Comment from: Madkat1000, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My daughter was just diagnosed with roseola today. It started off like a cold, I took her to the doctor and they said she had double pneumonia and a mid-ear infection. I brought her back a couple of days later because of a prolonged consistent high fever of 102 to 103 F. As her fever went away, a rash started to break out, starting on her chest, and spread to her back and face.

Comment from: nolanmommy, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My son had roseola, and my immune system is bad so I got it too. My symptoms are a week-long low fever (so far), body aches, nausea, diarrhea, and extreme fatigue. My baby just broke the fever and got the telltale rash, and I"m really hoping that will happen for me soon.

Comment from: cutebah96, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 15

My experience with roseola was frightening. My grand baby's fever spiked to 105.9. I thought she would start seizures or her brain would cook. I have never seen anything like it. The doctors told me exactly how it would go and they were right. Fevers lasted 4 days, when they stop at 4 days the rash starts and last 4 days as of now we are on day 3 of the rash. On top of the fever I was scared of dehydration. I couldn't get her to eat or drink anything not even a popsicle. She is 17 months old and during all the tests they did on her we learned she has an enlarged heart. Now I have to take her to children's hospital cardiology tomorrow.

Comment from: mcbaker6, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

My 26 month old was just diagnosed today with Roseola. She'd had an ear infection and was on antibiotics so honestly my husband and I didn't think too much when she developed a fever of 103.9 we gave her a dose of Tylenol and it lowered some. A few hours later it kept rising, then set in the vomiting, fussiness, diarrhea, loss of appetite...we began to worry. We took her to the ER where they said it's the side effects of her antibiotics. Over the next 2 days things got much worse and our poor daughter hadn't slept or been eating. She walked up to her father and pointed at her arm and said "boo boo"... she had developed this horrible red and white blotchy rash. Instinct we dose up with benadryl and go back ER, where they claim it an allergic reaction and send us home with no meds nothing. Frustrated I Googled all the symptoms and called her DR. and said look I think my daughter has Roseola, she tells me there's no possible way because my daughter had the MMR vaccine when she was 15mos old. to bring her in first thing in the morning and we will get to the bottom of things....guess the vaccine isn't 100%.

Comment from: Mich, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My son had a febrile seizure for 20 minutes and we called an ambulance. He has had a history of a rare brain tumor and hydrocephalus, so we were afraid that something was going on again (even if it had been 2 years since then). When we got to the ER they told us that he had a fever of 102! We were so shocked! We didn't even know he was sick! He was eating normally and was in a good mood! He had had problems with teething off and on for the past few weeks, but no fever, but he was put on antibiotics 2 times for gum inflammation. However, a rash started on his neck after his second antibiotic, so we thought it was due to the antibiotic, but his doctor said it was heat rash. Unlike usual roseola, he got the neck rash about a week before the seizure and as the fever started finally lowering two days later. Now he has to get an EEG due to his prior brain history and has been put back on the same anti-seizure med he was put on after his first brain surgery. I can't believe it.

Roseola - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with roseola.
Roseola - Children and Seizures Question: Did your child have a roseola related-seizure? What did you do?
Roseola - Children and Rashes Question: Describe the appearance and timing of the rash when your child had roseola.
Roseola - Contacting a Doctor Question: What was it about your child's illness that prompted you to consult a doctor? Did you suspect roseola?