Patient Comments: Roseola - Symptoms

What were the symptoms you experienced with roseola?

Comment from: nolanmommy, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My son had roseola, and my immune system is bad so I got it too. My symptoms are a week-long low fever (so far), body aches, nausea, diarrhea, and extreme fatigue. My baby just broke the fever and got the telltale rash, and I"m really hoping that will happen for me soon.

Comment from: Buttercup2010, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My 1-year-old daughter currently is suffering from roseola. She had been diagnosed with double ear infections just last week at her 1-year checkup and was placed on amoxicillin. She has not had a fever but did not want to eat. She drank lots of fluids and never acted as if she was ill. She did want to be held all the time and would only sleep if she was in my bed. I am not a believer in kids sleeping with the parents, but she was sick, so I allowed her to sleep with me until she was out cold. I noticed that she had three small bumps on her tummy, and then they went away that night. But the next morning, she had a huge rash all over her back. I freaked out, talked to my sister who is nurse practitioner, and she said that it sounded like roseola. I was OK until the next morning when it was on her tummy, neck, parts of her arms and legs and face. Then I really lost it. Took her to urgent care and the nurse had no idea what it was. So I took her back to see my sister, and she told me to calm down: She said it was, in fact, roseola. I have started using Witch Hazel to clean the rash and put Cortisone on it. That seems to calm her down and make her feel a little better.

Comment from: cutebah96, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 15

My experience with roseola was frightening. My grand baby's fever spiked to 105.9. I thought she would start seizures or her brain would cook. I have never seen anything like it. The doctors told me exactly how it would go and they were right. Fevers lasted 4 days, when they stop at 4 days the rash starts and last 4 days as of now we are on day 3 of the rash. On top of the fever I was scared of dehydration. I couldn't get her to eat or drink anything not even a popsicle. She is 17 months old and during all the tests they did on her we learned she has an enlarged heart. Now I have to take her to children's hospital cardiology tomorrow.

Comment from: mcbaker6, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

My 26 month old was just diagnosed today with Roseola. She'd had an ear infection and was on antibiotics so honestly my husband and I didn't think too much when she developed a fever of 103.9 we gave her a dose of Tylenol and it lowered some. A few hours later it kept rising, then set in the vomiting, fussiness, diarrhea, loss of appetite...we began to worry. We took her to the ER where they said it's the side effects of her antibiotics. Over the next 2 days things got much worse and our poor daughter hadn't slept or been eating. She walked up to her father and pointed at her arm and said "boo boo"... she had developed this horrible red and white blotchy rash. Instinct we dose up with benadryl and go back ER, where they claim it an allergic reaction and send us home with no meds nothing. Frustrated I Googled all the symptoms and called her DR. and said look I think my daughter has Roseola, she tells me there's no possible way because my daughter had the MMR vaccine when she was 15mos old. to bring her in first thing in the morning and we will get to the bottom of things....guess the vaccine isn't 100%.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 14

My son is about 19 months. He had a fever for about 3 days that we thought was from teething. He was given Motrin as needed then fever broke. About 24 hours later he started showing rash and lesions all over his body. Doctor quickly diagnosed it as Roseola and said he would get better in about 3-4 more days. He is doing rather well. Still has rash on day 4 and little appetite, but is drinking lots. Good to know it's nothing serious.

Comment from: Mich, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My son had a febrile seizure for 20 minutes and we called an ambulance. He has had a history of a rare brain tumor and hydrocephalus, so we were afraid that something was going on again (even if it had been 2 years since then). When we got to the ER they told us that he had a fever of 102! We were so shocked! We didn't even know he was sick! He was eating normally and was in a good mood! He had had problems with teething off and on for the past few weeks, but no fever, but he was put on antibiotics 2 times for gum inflammation. However, a rash started on his neck after his second antibiotic, so we thought it was due to the antibiotic, but his doctor said it was heat rash. Unlike usual roseola, he got the neck rash about a week before the seizure and as the fever started finally lowering two days later. Now he has to get an EEG due to his prior brain history and has been put back on the same anti-seizure med he was put on after his first brain surgery. I can't believe it.

Roseola - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with roseola.
Roseola - Children and Seizures Question: If your child had a seizure with roseola, how did you react? Describe your experience.
Roseola - Children and Rashes Question: Describe the appearance and timing of the rash when your child had roseola.
Roseola - Contacting a Doctor Question: What was it about your child's illness that prompted you to consult a doctor? Did you suspect roseola?