Patient Comments: Roseola - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with roseola?

Comment from: Surf56, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My granddaughter got this out of no where. My daughter did not believe me until I emailed her this article. So she left work and took her to the doctor. Bingo grandma is right. They say you can't pass it on. I beg to differ, I ended up in the doctor's office with all the symptoms. And got a fever sore to boot. Thank you for the good information. Don't we all look forward to a time where our kids well never be ill.

Comment from: RLB41610, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 13

Our daughter is 14 months old. She woke up in the middle of the night with a very high fever which we thought was due to teething. So we put cold rags on her and gave her some liquid Tylenol. Day 2 her fever had gone up so we took her to an urgent care walk in clinic as we were out of town on vacation. The dr said her fever was 102.5 and diagnosed her with an ear infection and prescribed amoxicillin. Day 3 she seemed even worse and was very lethargic like, whimpering, shaking from the fever and would not eat or drink much. Would also throw up her milk at times. So we rushed home to her pediatrician who told us right away that she had a virus called Roseola. She told us all of her symptoms and behavior are normal and sent us home with Ibuprofen. Our daughter did not want to do anything but sleep and be held and was very weak from the lack of food in her body. We constantly offered her water and milk to keep her hydrated. Sure enough, her fever broke on day 5 and the red rash started to appear on her face, Stomach and back. She started eating and drinking more and even smiling and crawling a bit! Today is day 6 and her rash came on a bit stronger but she is fever free and getting her strength back each day but does want to sleep a lot. We hope her rash will be gone in a couple of days and she will be her normal happy, energetic self again and can enjoy life!

Comment from: pattyfabio, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

My son is 14 months old, and has been diagnosed with roseola. He has had a rash all over, and he is very irritable. He won't sleep. He wakes up crying and won't eat or take his bottles. The doctor said that's normal, and it lasts about five days. I just try to keep him hydrated with Pedialyte. I was told it was contagious for younger babies but not my older kids.

Comment from: floridagirl74, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 03

My daughter just turned two a few weeks ago, and after a week long family vacation she started with a fever that night, it was 104, the next night it reached 104.4 and we did go to the ER as referred by our Dr. they said it was something viral. The next day she still had a fever but only 102. The 4th day the fever was pretty much gone but by the afternoon upon returning home from a follow up at our doctor the rash started. It was on her shoulder and neck and quickly spread all over her torso, her arm and even her face and scalp. We are now on day two of the rash. The fever is gone although she is still very clingy (not normal for her). Hoping this will end in the next day or two.

Comment from: lukesmom, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

My 9 month old son was just diagnosed with rosella today, after 3.5 days of high (101-103) fever. He has been very irritable, cries if he is not held, has little interest in playing. It is obvious he does not feel well. He does eat much & is not sleeping... at first we thought it was teething - but the fever kept climbing. After 3.5 days of high fever with NO other symptoms, I opened his pj's this morning to find a rash (tiny red bumps) covering most of his body (head, neck, trunk and back). Hoping the rash goes away quickly.

Published: April 13

My 11 month old daughter is on day 4 of Roseola. Her fever appeared very suddenly and reached over 104 on the second night. The thing that has surprised me most (before I knew that it was Roseola) was that five minutes after giving her Calpol/ibuprofen for the fever, she would seem in high spirits, playing and laughing. However, she has generally been quite irritable and has needed a lot of cuddling. She has not eaten much but has been very thirsty. She has also not been sleeping well (and she is usually an excellent sleeper). I am looking forward to seeing the rash and knowing that the illness is on its way out.

Roseola - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with roseola.
Roseola - Children and Seizures Question: Did your child have a roseola related-seizure? What did you do?
Roseola - Children and Rashes Question: Describe the appearance and timing of the rash when your child had roseola.
Roseola - Contacting a Doctor Question: What was it about your child's illness that prompted you to consult a doctor? Did you suspect roseola?