Patient Comments: Roseola - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with roseola.

Comment from: joannezz, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My 19 month girl developed fever 5 days ago suddenly, about 39.4 degree. She looked fine and was energetic, didn't seems to be sick at all but we went to see doctor as her fever was constantly high. The urine test came back normal and the doctor gave us some medication and instructed us to feed her every 4 hours and go back again if the fever still remained high 3 to 4 days later. Her fever went down to 37 to 38 degree, sometimes normal during the day time, but the fever went up to 38 during night but we didn't bring her back to doctor, thinking that it was not threatening. Today is day 5 and she developed rashes and my mum suspected it to be fake measles aka roseola in which the rashes will eventually go off after a couple of days. Today she is still having slight fever at about 37.6 degree. We brought her to the doctor again and the doctor diagnosed it to be roseola due to the rashes, which was all over her body and face but it doesnt irritate her at all. Doctor says that it is okay and should be gone after couple of days. If her fever still didn't subside 2 days later, we should bring her to the hospital for a check again as usually the fever would have subsided after a couple of days but today is the 5th. She lost her appetite 2 days after the fever breakout and is having mild diarrhea. I hope she will get well by tomorrow!

Comment from: Sara, Female (Caregiver) Published: March 19

My 11 months old son had roseola, he first had high fever for 3days. After one day gap rashes appeared on his head, tummy and back and very next day the same rash appeared on his arms and legs. He is active and eating well but sleeping more then he normally does. It is the second day of the rash and I m waiting for the rash to go away.

Comment from: BabyMD, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 04

I was surprised that my 14 year old has roseola. He had the typical 3 days of fever followed by the characteristic rash. He is my oldest “patient” ever to have roseola (I am a pediatrician). I would mention that most patients have the rash for 3 to 6 days, not just 2 days.

Comment from: Macy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My 11 month old had rash roseola, then fever spikes within couple hours. In 24 hours exactly, he went into febrile seizure. Fever is gone and the rash appeared again.

Comment from: mom of two, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My 22 month old currently has roseola. He had 3 days of fevers, the highest reaching 102. The rash appeared 2 days after the fever was gone. My doctor told me it was going around after checking his ears and throat on day 1 of the fever. We are on day 4 of the rash now and he has a little left on his face.

Comment from: marge, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am a grandma. I watched my grandchildren and a week later I had a fever and rash. I found out that one of the children came down with roseola. I didn't think adults could catch it, but I did.

Comment from: Mama, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My 7 month old son is now getting over roseola. I had no idea that's what it was, nor had I even heard of it, but it was diagnosed at the urgent care clinic when the rash appeared and I took him there. He has had several of the symptoms described, and some additional ones, though not the seizures. His fever was between 101 and 103 and spiked to 104 before the rash came (he had the fever for about 4 total days). But he also had lots of vomiting and diarrhea, which I understand is not always associated with this disease. However, I had a serious stomach flu the day before he got sick, so I think maybe he had both at the same time - poor guy. He did show a loss of appetite, and like another baby, wanted to be held all the time and whimpered or cried if I tried to put him down (even to sleep). But now the rash is gone (after 3 total days) and he's sleeping better and eating better, even though he's not quite yet completely back to his active, happy self.

Roseola - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with roseola?
Roseola - Children and Seizures Question: If your child had a seizure with roseola, how did you react? Describe your experience.
Roseola - Children and Rashes Question: Describe the appearance and timing of the rash when your child had roseola.
Roseola - Contacting a Doctor Question: What was it about your child's illness that prompted you to consult a doctor? Did you suspect roseola?