Patient Comments: Roseola - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with roseola.

Comment from: RogerPenna, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 15

My daughter out of nothing had this very sudden and high fever, starting on a Wednesday, 4 days after her first birthday party. In the first day of fever, it was a mild 37.5 C fever, and she seemed will enough. Except for the temperature, she did not seem to have a fever at all. In the 2nd day the fever got to near 40 C (39.7) and she was quite irritable, wanted to be carried around and was very sad. But she never lost appetite. So we called her doctor and he told us to keep an eye on her and call him again if she lost appetite, developed diarrhea or coughing and sneezing and also told us to give her some paracetamol. Saturday morning she woke up with her head cool and indeed, the fever was gone. A few hours later we noticed some rashes in her neck and chest. It's Sunday night as I write this. She was covered in rashes at her chest and back, as well as some on the sides of her face and side of the forehead. We called the doctor this morning and he already said it was roseola, which confirmed our suspicions based on the symptoms. We are not sure it itches but she has been irritated only when at home with mom and dad. We visited neighbors yesterday and my mother today and she was a perfect lady both times, just to arrive home, start crying and wanting to be carried around, not usual behavior.

Comment from: 3/20/14, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 10

My daughter is 10 months old and had diarrhea, fussiness, and a fever of 103.6 for 5 days. She started out with a small rash on her chest, which her doctor attributed to teething. By the fifth day her fever broke (cool cloth and Tylenol), and on the sixth day we woke up to a rash on her tummy, chest, neck and face. We took her to the doctor and they said it was roseola. The next day she had a rash on her entire body including palms of hands and bottoms of feet. We took her to the emergency room and they said she has an extreme case of roseola. The rash went away over the weekend with just remnants of the rash left. Then on Sunday the rash started to appear again, now it's Monday and it's back full force. I am trying to get her in to see her doctor. She does seem more tired than usual.

Comment from: me@35, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am a 35 year old female, who developed roseola as a child. I have had numerous episodes of it growing up and still to this day get it. As I have gotten older the rash is not bad at all, I just get it on my upper body. I never paid any mind to a fever, so I can't say if I had one beforehand or not. Other than this I must say I'm a pretty healthy adult, and the outbreak only happens every so many years. I hope this may help someone.

Comment from: Cinf35, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 20

My daughter had a fever that at times reached 103.7. On the third day, we took her to the doctor. He looked in her ears, in her throat, and took a urine and blood sample. Everything looked fine. He suggested Tylenol or Motrin to reduce the fever, but I prefer to let the fever run its course, as it is the body's way of fighting infection. Her fever broke on the third day without any intervention (of course, it happened after having spent 4 hours at the doctor's office!). The next evening I noticed a rash that began on her chest and has spread to her back and neck. This is day two of roseola.

Comment from: cheezeheadtn, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 25

My 2 1/2 year old started to get cold like symptoms for a few days, then we took her to her doctor on a Monday afternoon to try and get relief, nothing but a steroid was given to help her out. Tuesday morning, she woke up with a high fever (103 deg), and it got higher very fast. By 2 pm it was running at 105! We struggled with the high fever, not wanting to drink (or urinate) throughout the day and night, then it peaked at 104 on Wednesday early morning. She took a 4 hour nap Wednesday afternoon, woke up, and it was almost gone! The highest it got Wednesday night was 101.5! Thursday early evening, my husband and I noticed a bunch of light pink spots all over her back and front, and around her neck. She woke up Friday morning just the same. Doctor confirmed Friday that she definitely had roseola, and felt relieved to have a solid diagnosis! Whew... what a week. My suggestion to you is get a handle on the fever early with Tylenol and Motrin, let your child sleep, make sure they drink, and just hold your little one! It will pass before you know it and they will be running around again! (Still not much of an appetite, but she's drinking now.)

Roseola - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with roseola?
Roseola - Children and Seizures Question: Did your child have a roseola related-seizure? What did you do?
Roseola - Children and Rashes Question: Describe the appearance and timing of the rash when your child had roseola.
Roseola - Contacting a Doctor Question: What was it about your child's illness that prompted you to consult a doctor? Did you suspect roseola?