Patient Comments: Roseola - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with roseola.

Comment from: Nana, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

My son is 24 months old and was recently diagnosed with roseola. He had cold-like symptoms, such as a runny nose and sore throat for the first few days. The third day, he spiked a fever, and the next day, he broke out in a rash on his legs, stomach, arms, cheeks, and neck. The rash would go down and when he would go out to play, it seemed to come back. The doctor prescribed some medicine to help. Finally, the rash started to disappear.

Comment from: J's mommy, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 16

My 17-month-old son initially began showing symptoms of roseola with a fever that was fluctuating between 101 and 103 degrees for the first two days. The third day, it went as high as 105 degrees. He was irritable at times but very tired. His eyes looked puffy, and he was pale. He wanted to drink fluids a lot, but his appetite was poor. By the fifth day, his fever broke and a rash appeared around his ears, his abdomen, his back, and slightly on his face near his nose. The rash didn't seem to irritate him. His behavior was pleasant, but he was still more tired than usual. His appetite increased by the fifth day.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 16

My son just had roseola. It started with symptoms of a cold and then two days later he had a 102 degree fever in the evening. On the third and fourth evenings, his fever spiked up to 105.5 and 105.4. He was lethargic (when feverish) and not a great eater while he had it, but overall, he seemed OK (just not himself). The fever lasted about four nights, and then around the sixth day, the fever seemed to be totally gone and the rash appeared on the trunk of his body. I don't know yet how long the rash will last.

Comment from: mrkitty15, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

This is the second time I've had roseola. The first time was when I was 25, and now I am 28. I didn't notice a fever the first time, but this time I did notice it, along with the extreme fatigue. I broke out in the rash today. The last time I had roseola, I had the rash for three months. My doctor said then that I should never get it again, but I have it now. At least this time I know what it is. Nothing helps it except maybe anti-itch lotion, but that only helps for a second. I think it's actually worse the second time around.

Comment from: afoust01, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 25

My 8-month-old has had roseola for five days. It started with a fever of 102.7 all of a sudden in the middle of the day. He has been very cranky for five straight days. His fever is almost gone, but he is still clingy on me. He has barely eaten real food, just breast milk for five days. He has nursed so much I had to supplement with formula last night and tonight. He started to get a rash tonight just on his forehead.

Comment from: ORmommy, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 25

We experienced roseola with our 15-month-old daughter. She woke up from a nap with a 103 degree temperature and was very uncomfortable (nothing would soothe her). She had a fever around 101 to 103 for a couple of days. The third morning, she woke up with a rash that started on her scalp, and throughout the day, spread to her ears, face, neck, and trunk. She still feels awful; she has a loss of appetite, sleeps a lot, and is generally uncomfortable. She looks sick. She has tired, swollen eyes, she's pale. She looks exactly as if she had a cold. We used Ibuprofen and cool baths to help her. Her appetite has been very low, so we are giving her lots of liquids (water, juice, milk) whenever she'll drink them.

Comment from: Maec, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 25

I actually thought my daughter was teething when she had roseola. She was incredibly irritable and wouldn't eat anything. She was hot to the touch, but acted fine other than the crankiness. About a day after the fever went away, she broke out in a rash on her chest, which then moved to her back. The doctor said she presented "textbook" symptoms.

Comment from: Paskettio, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

My daughter was diagnosed with Roseola recently. She had a three-day fever of 103, on average. Other than having the high fever, she seemed fine. Her eating and drinking habits were normal; she ate well. After three days, the fever broke and in its place was a blotchy rash on her neck and chest. The next day it had spread up her neck around her ears and hairline. Her back and parts of her arm were also covered. Later that same day, the rash had faded to be almost nonexistent. It was amazing how feverish she was and still played and roamed about the house. I would have expected her to be listless and lethargic. She was pretty irritable and cranky throughout the five-to-six day ordeal, however. I was glad to see the rash go and have her back to her old self.

Roseola - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with roseola?
Roseola - Children and Seizures Question: Did your child have a roseola related-seizure? What did you do?
Roseola - Children and Rashes Question: Describe the appearance and timing of the rash when your child had roseola.
Roseola - Contacting a Doctor Question: What was it about your child's illness that prompted you to consult a doctor? Did you suspect roseola?