Patient Comments: Roseola - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with roseola.

Comment from: cartermomma3, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 25

My 10 1/2 month old son was taken to the ER for a severe congested cough on a Saturday, he had bronchitis and was put on amoxicillen. He had spiked a fever Tuesday (day 3) through Thursday(day 5) night, and I couldnt get it down past 100.3 Suddenly Thursday night (day 5) His temp/fever broke. Friday morning(day 6) we woke up and he was fine playing and beginning to get back to his normal self when a rash broke out on his back, neck tummy, head, legs and arms. We took him to urgent care, and the Dr said it was probably an allergic reaction to the ammoxicillen, (which didn't make sense to me since he had been taking it for 5 days) so I did some online research and found it could be roseola, all the symptoms fit. Now we wait for the rash to disappear!!

Comment from: trmmarie1, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

Our 9 month old had a low grade fever and was very irritable. We thought that it was because she might still be cutting teeth even though she had just gotten her bottom two a few weeks ago. We visited her doctor on Tuesday regarding a diaper rash, and a small rash that I noticed on her back. 4 days later we came home after shopping and I noticed a rash all over her neck and chin. I undressed her and noticed it on her back, abdomen and legs. Naturally we flipped out and I began checking her medication for her diaper rash and medication for a previous ear infection just in case there was an allergic reaction. I searched your website and compared her symptoms with those of roseola. We were relieved to rule out more serious diseases, but are still concerned about the roseola.

Comment from: michele11112005, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My son had roseola. It started off with a very high fever getting up to about 104 degrees F. I took him to the doctor and they looked at him and seemed confused because he seemed fine and did not even look like he had a high fever. They gave me Tylenol and Motrin (both children's kind) and said to give Motrin and then in the next 6-8 hours give Tylenol, and so on. After the fever finally went down, which was about 3 or 4 days later, he broke out in a rash. It started on his face, neck and stomach and had spread all over his body by the time we got to the doctor. The doctor said he had never seen a case like my sons because normally it just covers the stomach and the face. But this rash was everywhere. It took about 3 or 4 days to go away, but my son was fine. He had no complications.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My 11 month old daughter came down with a fever of 101.5-102.8 and just wanted to be held the whole time. Within 3 days the fever broke out of nowhere and started to develop a rash around her belly and back. The advice nurse said it was probably her teeth, but after reading all the symptoms, it sure sounds like she has Roseola. Thanks for all the comments! Made us feel a whole lot better.

Comment from: jneeds80, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Hi - my 15 month old had a high fever over 103 for 3 days and on the 4th day he broke out into a rash all over his body. My husband took him to the doctor and the doctor just said he has a viral infection and the rash is a result of his body fighting. My husband said the doctor never concluded that it was roseola. I am sure this is what he has because everything I have read about the sickness has happened. The only thing I am concerned about is I haven't heard anyone say whether the rash was all over the body. This is day 2 of the rash and I am not sure how long it takes before the rash goes away.

Comment from: chubbie, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 17

Baby was irritable for a few weeks and we assumed it was from teething. Dad got ill first. Mom had poison oak and was incapacitated for a few nights so dad had very little sleep. So dad was sick for a few days and then baby gets a super high temperature. He had no other symptoms of an infection (he wasn't rubbing his ears or face excessively) but I took him into the pediatrician and they looked in his ears. No problems. His fever reached 103.6 during the night and I gave him ibuprofen infant drops and then switched to the Tylenol infant drops in 3-4 hours, alternating between the 2 medicines. I also dipped a wash cloth in cool water while I held him in bed and made sure he didn't shiver while I pressed the cloth to his body. Two nights of fever. Today, the rash appeared and it seems that he is doing fine. I did give him a bath right away since I thought the rash was because he was peeing so much (from all the liquids he was getting) and he had sweated a lot too. I thought this rash was from the sweat but it seems typical of the roseola herpes virus, which i think he is recovering well from. He is down for a nap, but dad and mom are feeling pretty sick from no sleep at all...and all that worrying. This was our first fever with him.

Roseola - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with roseola?
Roseola - Children and Seizures Question: Did your child have a roseola related-seizure? What did you do?
Roseola - Children and Rashes Question: Describe the appearance and timing of the rash when your child had roseola.
Roseola - Contacting a Doctor Question: What was it about your child's illness that prompted you to consult a doctor? Did you suspect roseola?