Patient Comments: Roseola - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with roseola.

Comment from: michele11112005, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My son had roseola. It started off with a very high fever getting up to about 104 degrees F. I took him to the doctor and they looked at him and seemed confused because he seemed fine and did not even look like he had a high fever. They gave me Tylenol and Motrin (both children's kind) and said to give Motrin and then in the next 6-8 hours give Tylenol, and so on. After the fever finally went down, which was about 3 or 4 days later, he broke out in a rash. It started on his face, neck and stomach and had spread all over his body by the time we got to the doctor. The doctor said he had never seen a case like my sons because normally it just covers the stomach and the face. But this rash was everywhere. It took about 3 or 4 days to go away, but my son was fine. He had no complications.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My 11 month old daughter came down with a fever of 101.5-102.8 and just wanted to be held the whole time. Within 3 days the fever broke out of nowhere and started to develop a rash around her belly and back. The advice nurse said it was probably her teeth, but after reading all the symptoms, it sure sounds like she has Roseola. Thanks for all the comments! Made us feel a whole lot better.

Comment from: jneeds80, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Hi - my 15 month old had a high fever over 103 for 3 days and on the 4th day he broke out into a rash all over his body. My husband took him to the doctor and the doctor just said he has a viral infection and the rash is a result of his body fighting. My husband said the doctor never concluded that it was roseola. I am sure this is what he has because everything I have read about the sickness has happened. The only thing I am concerned about is I haven't heard anyone say whether the rash was all over the body. This is day 2 of the rash and I am not sure how long it takes before the rash goes away.

Comment from: chubbie, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 17

Baby was irritable for a few weeks and we assumed it was from teething. Dad got ill first. Mom had poison oak and was incapacitated for a few nights so dad had very little sleep. So dad was sick for a few days and then baby gets a super high temperature. He had no other symptoms of an infection (he wasn't rubbing his ears or face excessively) but I took him into the pediatrician and they looked in his ears. No problems. His fever reached 103.6 during the night and I gave him ibuprofen infant drops and then switched to the Tylenol infant drops in 3-4 hours, alternating between the 2 medicines. I also dipped a wash cloth in cool water while I held him in bed and made sure he didn't shiver while I pressed the cloth to his body. Two nights of fever. Today, the rash appeared and it seems that he is doing fine. I did give him a bath right away since I thought the rash was because he was peeing so much (from all the liquids he was getting) and he had sweated a lot too. I thought this rash was from the sweat but it seems typical of the roseola herpes virus, which i think he is recovering well from. He is down for a nap, but dad and mom are feeling pretty sick from no sleep at all...and all that worrying. This was our first fever with him.

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 30

My 14-month-old is just getting over roseola. She developed a fever about three days ago and just last night she broke out in a rash. we had visited the doctor when she was running a fever and was sent home with just a diagnoses of a cold. So when the rash came out it was very scary. I am glad to know that this childhood sickness is short lived. My baby had all of the symptoms that I have read here on this web site. Thank you so much for all of you that have posted your story it has brought me peace of mind.

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 23

My 4 month old son was just diagnosed with roseloa. He never had the tell-tale high fever though. His fever never went above 100.4. We just thought he was teething. I gave him some tylenol one night because he was irritable and didn't know what else was wrong. The next morning the rash came and day care sent him home to go to the doctor. He seems in much better spirits now.

Comment from: jsmith, (Caregiver) Published: October 09

My 3-year-old daughter had a very mild case of roseola. She had a very high fever for 24 hours, but she didn't seem sick. It was very scary because she had never had so much as a cold before. Immediately after the fever broke, she developed a mild rash on her stomach, back, and face. It didn't bother her at all and after two or three days, it went away. My 15-month-old son currently has roseola. The fever was not as bad with him, and it only lasted about a day. Now he has the rash on his entire body, but it doesn't seem to bother him. He is extremely sleepy though and tires easier than usual.

Roseola - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with roseola?
Roseola - Children and Seizures Question: Did your child have a roseola related-seizure? What did you do?
Roseola - Children and Rashes Question: Describe the appearance and timing of the rash when your child had roseola.
Roseola - Contacting a Doctor Question: What was it about your child's illness that prompted you to consult a doctor? Did you suspect roseola?