Patient Comments: Roseola - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with roseola.

Comment from: mom of two, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My 22 month old currently has roseola. He had 3 days of fevers, the highest reaching 102. The rash appeared 2 days after the fever was gone. My doctor told me it was going around after checking his ears and throat on day 1 of the fever. We are on day 4 of the rash now and he has a little left on his face.

Comment from: Mama, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My 7 month old son is now getting over roseola. I had no idea that's what it was, nor had I even heard of it, but it was diagnosed at the urgent care clinic when the rash appeared and I took him there. He has had several of the symptoms described, and some additional ones, though not the seizures. His fever was between 101 and 103 and spiked to 104 before the rash came (he had the fever for about 4 total days). But he also had lots of vomiting and diarrhea, which I understand is not always associated with this disease. However, I had a serious stomach flu the day before he got sick, so I think maybe he had both at the same time - poor guy. He did show a loss of appetite, and like another baby, wanted to be held all the time and whimpered or cried if I tried to put him down (even to sleep). But now the rash is gone (after 3 total days) and he's sleeping better and eating better, even though he's not quite yet completely back to his active, happy self.

Comment from: jill, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am an adult who contracted Roseola or Fifth Disease from a child. The other name I was told was Parvo disease. It is very rare for adults to contract it, but if you have a low immune system (we just came back from vacation from Mexico) you can get it. Symptoms were very high fever, chills and body aches. Next came the rash throughout the body. It actually took an Infectious Disease MD to diagnose this. As a result of this, I had arthritis for about 6 months following and have never been a healthy individual since. Prior I was in great shape and only got the common cold every now and then.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My 15-month-old son is currently overcoming roseola. He was diagnosed yesterday, after having a high temperature for four days. His fever seems to have finally broken today, on the fifth day. Now, he is getting the rash all over his belly and back. His temperature came out of nowhere and went as high as 104.5. He had no other signs of illness other than the fever. I was concerned more by his behavior changes. He lost all interest in eating and playing. He preferred to have me holding him at all times and would whimper and cry when he is usually a very independent, happy little guy. We were winding up breastfeeding and were down to one feeding per day. Since being sick, he has reverted back to wanting to breastfeed all of the time. He also was very fatigued and slept much more than usual. His pediatrician said that once the rash appears, the illness is almost over. I am to bring him back if the fever spikes up again after the fifth day.

Comment from: Texas , 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 16

Our daughter is 23-months-old and recently caught roseola. We had no idea she was even sick. She developed a high fever and had a febrile seizure. She had strep tests and urinary tests done, and they came back negative. That scared us even more because we had no idea what was causing her high fever, seizure, sluggishness, loss of appetite, and sleepiness. The development of a rash was the sign that lead the doctor to conclude roseola. This entire event was very frightening to everyone. We caution parents to check their children frequently, as the spike in fever with this disease happens quickly.

Comment from: marge, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am a grandma. I watched my grandchildren and a week later I had a fever and rash. I found out that one of the children came down with roseola. I didn't think adults could catch it, but I did.

Comment from: M, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My son had roseola when he was just a few months old. He had no fever and no rash. It took two spinal taps to figure out what was going on.

Roseola - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with roseola?
Roseola - Children and Seizures Question: Did your child have a roseola related-seizure? What did you do?
Roseola - Children and Rashes Question: Describe the appearance and timing of the rash when your child had roseola.
Roseola - Contacting a Doctor Question: What was it about your child's illness that prompted you to consult a doctor? Did you suspect roseola?