Patient Comments: Roseola - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with roseola.

Comment from: jill, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am an adult who contracted Roseola or Fifth Disease from a child. The other name I was told was Parvo disease. It is very rare for adults to contract it, but if you have a low immune system (we just came back from vacation from Mexico) you can get it. Symptoms were very high fever, chills and body aches. Next came the rash throughout the body. It actually took an Infectious Disease MD to diagnose this. As a result of this, I had arthritis for about 6 months following and have never been a healthy individual since. Prior I was in great shape and only got the common cold every now and then.

Comment from: 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My 15-month-old son is currently overcoming roseola. He was diagnosed yesterday, after having a high temperature for four days. His fever seems to have finally broken today, on the fifth day. Now, he is getting the rash all over his belly and back. His temperature came out of nowhere and went as high as 104.5. He had no other signs of illness other than the fever. I was concerned more by his behavior changes. He lost all interest in eating and playing. He preferred to have me holding him at all times and would whimper and cry when he is usually a very independent, happy little guy. We were winding up breastfeeding and were down to one feeding per day. Since being sick, he has reverted back to wanting to breastfeed all of the time. He also was very fatigued and slept much more than usual. His pediatrician said that once the rash appears, the illness is almost over. I am to bring him back if the fever spikes up again after the fifth day.

Comment from: Texas , 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 16

Our daughter is 23-months-old and recently caught roseola. We had no idea she was even sick. She developed a high fever and had a febrile seizure. She had strep tests and urinary tests done, and they came back negative. That scared us even more because we had no idea what was causing her high fever, seizure, sluggishness, loss of appetite, and sleepiness. The development of a rash was the sign that lead the doctor to conclude roseola. This entire event was very frightening to everyone. We caution parents to check their children frequently, as the spike in fever with this disease happens quickly.

Comment from: M, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My son had roseola when he was just a few months old. He had no fever and no rash. It took two spinal taps to figure out what was going on.

Comment from: cartermomma3, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 25

My 10 1/2 month old son was taken to the ER for a severe congested cough on a Saturday, he had bronchitis and was put on amoxicillen. He had spiked a fever Tuesday (day 3) through Thursday(day 5) night, and I couldnt get it down past 100.3 Suddenly Thursday night (day 5) His temp/fever broke. Friday morning(day 6) we woke up and he was fine playing and beginning to get back to his normal self when a rash broke out on his back, neck tummy, head, legs and arms. We took him to urgent care, and the Dr said it was probably an allergic reaction to the ammoxicillen, (which didn't make sense to me since he had been taking it for 5 days) so I did some online research and found it could be roseola, all the symptoms fit. Now we wait for the rash to disappear!!

Comment from: trmmarie1, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

Our 9 month old had a low grade fever and was very irritable. We thought that it was because she might still be cutting teeth even though she had just gotten her bottom two a few weeks ago. We visited her doctor on Tuesday regarding a diaper rash, and a small rash that I noticed on her back. 4 days later we came home after shopping and I noticed a rash all over her neck and chin. I undressed her and noticed it on her back, abdomen and legs. Naturally we flipped out and I began checking her medication for her diaper rash and medication for a previous ear infection just in case there was an allergic reaction. I searched your website and compared her symptoms with those of roseola. We were relieved to rule out more serious diseases, but are still concerned about the roseola.

Roseola - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms you experienced with roseola?
Roseola - Children and Seizures Question: Did your child have a roseola related-seizure? What did you do?
Roseola - Children and Rashes Question: Describe the appearance and timing of the rash when your child had roseola.
Roseola - Contacting a Doctor Question: What was it about your child's illness that prompted you to consult a doctor? Did you suspect roseola?