Patient Comments: Roseola - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with roseola.

Comment from: ARCKingston, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 16

My son had 4 days of fever ranging from 100 to 103 F. He is 4 years old. Yesterday he did not have a fever but today a red rash of roseola has appeared on his chest and upper torso.

Comment from: nashwa1970, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 07

My 15 months girl suddenly developed a rising fever with loss of appetite and mild diarrhea for 2 days. The fever decreased by paracetamol suppository for only 2 hours after which it started to rise again. I kept using cold foments and dressed her in a light cotton shirt with lukewarm bath when necessary. She was fuzzy only when temperature was so high at 39.7, otherwise she was surprisingly ok despite fever; only clinging to me. After 1 1/2 days fever started to settle down and a pink reddish rash appeared on trunk, abdomen, back, neck, and limbs; no itching. She was okay and even playing but still refusing food and only taking breast milk. Of note: she was exposed to infected children with same disease 3 days before her roseola started.

Comment from: confused mommy, 7-12 (Caregiver) Published: July 05

Wow, this roseola must be new I had never heard anything about it. But my 9 month old daughter got a sudden fever Thursday at daycare, 103. I took her to acute care immediately to rule out ear infection or strep. She continued running fever for 4 days. Then suddenly it stopped but she woke up with rash on face, neck, and on back. She was sleepier than normal and just wanted to be held. My main focus was to keep her eating or drinking when she had the fever and ibuprofen kept fever down.

Comment from: joannezz, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My 19 month girl developed fever 5 days ago suddenly, about 39.4 degree. She looked fine and was energetic, didn't seems to be sick at all but we went to see doctor as her fever was constantly high. The urine test came back normal and the doctor gave us some medication and instructed us to feed her every 4 hours and go back again if the fever still remained high 3 to 4 days later. Her fever went down to 37 to 38 degree, sometimes normal during the day time, but the fever went up to 38 during night but we didn't bring her back to doctor, thinking that it was not threatening. Today is day 5 and she developed rashes and my mum suspected it to be fake measles aka roseola in which the rashes will eventually go off after a couple of days. Today she is still having slight fever at about 37.6 degree. We brought her to the doctor again and the doctor diagnosed it to be roseola due to the rashes, which was all over her body and face but it doesnt irritate her at all. Doctor says that it is okay and should be gone after couple of days. If her fever still didn't subside 2 days later, we should bring her to the hospital for a check again as usually the fever would have subsided after a couple of days but today is the 5th. She lost her appetite 2 days after the fever breakout and is having mild diarrhea. I hope she will get well by tomorrow!

Comment from: Sara, Female (Caregiver) Published: March 19

My 11 months old son had roseola, he first had high fever for 3days. After one day gap rashes appeared on his head, tummy and back and very next day the same rash appeared on his arms and legs. He is active and eating well but sleeping more then he normally does. It is the second day of the rash and I m waiting for the rash to go away.

Comment from: BabyMD, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 04

I was surprised that my 14 year old has roseola. He had the typical 3 days of fever followed by the characteristic rash. He is my oldest “patient” ever to have roseola (I am a pediatrician). I would mention that most patients have the rash for 3 to 6 days, not just 2 days.

Comment from: Macy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

My 11 month old had rash roseola, then fever spikes within couple hours. In 24 hours exactly, he went into febrile seizure. Fever is gone and the rash appeared again.

Roseola - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced with roseola?
Roseola - Children and Seizures Question: Did your child have a roseola related-seizure? What did you do?
Roseola - Children and Rashes Question: Describe the appearance and timing of the rash when your child had roseola.
Roseola - Contacting a Doctor Question: What was it about your child's illness that prompted you to consult a doctor? Did you suspect roseola?