- Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow
- Take the Tummy Trouble Quiz
- Hepatitis C Pictures Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Roseola - Describe Your Experience
- Patient Comments: Roseola - Symptoms and Signs
- Patient Comments: Roseola - Children and Seizures
- Patient Comments: Roseola - Children and Rashes
- Patient Comments: Roseola - Contacting a Doctor
- Find a local Pediatrician in your town
- Roseola facts
- What is roseola? Is roseola contagious?
- What virus causes roseola?
- How is roseola spread? What is the incubation period for roseola?
- What are roseola symptoms and signs?
- How is the diagnosis of roseola established?
- How high can the fever go with roseola?
- What is the treatment for the fever of roseola?
- Can the fever cause a seizure?
- Is a seizure due to fever dangerous?
- What should one do if his or her child with roseola has a seizure?
- Is there a rash with roseola?
- What is most remarkable characteristic of roseola?
- How long does roseola last?
- Are there any complications of roseola?
- Should a child with roseola see a doctor?
- When can the child return to child care?
- Is it possible to prevent roseola?
- What is the prognosis for a child with roseola?
- Are there other names for roseola?
Quick GuideCommon Childhood Skin Disorders
Are there other names for roseola?
Roseola is referred to by a number of other names. It was formally called roseola infantum or roseola infantilis. Because the rash appears so suddenly (right after the fever dramatically departs), the disease is commonly called exanthem subitum.
To distinguish roseola from other childhood diseases featuring skin rashes, it was once dubbed "sixth disease" (because it was the sixth disease young children typically developed, and it lasted about six days). But that name has largely been forgotten.
American Academy of Pediatrics. Pickering, L.K., C.J. Baker, D.W. Kimberlin, and S.S. Long, eds. Red Book: 2009 Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases. 28th ed. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics, 2009.