Patient Comments: Rosacea - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with rosacea?

Comment from: Sonja, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 13

I started having symptoms of unusually high levels of bloating, and unable to put my rings on. I also noticed right-sided pain at times in my gallbladder area. I have been tired, and lately have been waking up at night with numbness and tingling in my arms. I have been taking multi-vitamins and vitamin D3 supplements, so I had no idea that I was potassium deficient. I finally went to the doctor after I was gaining weight rapidly, and my stomach looked like I was 5 months pregnant. I also noticed that my heart rate was much higher than normal throughout the day. I wear an Apple watch, and it monitors it frequently. After I went to the doctor, he thought my symptoms were due to irritable bowel syndrome. I got my blood work done, and it showed that my potassium was low and I had hypokalemia. I am still waiting to see how he will manage that, but I did find potassium supplements to take, and I will drink Smart water. Hopefully my doctor will find out what is causing the low potassium.

Comment from: ABJ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed with rosacea 9 years ago. I have seen 3 different dermatologists in my quest to keep my skin clear, and still see two of those. Here are some therapies that have worked for me: Metrogel and Metrocream work for me to reduce papules and pustules. It's not so great for the background redness. Intense pulsed light (IPL) administered by the knowledgeable aesthetician at my dermatologist's office is very good at clearing rosacea for a month or two, but repeats are needed. Low dose Claravis (Accutane) 10 milligram capsule twice a week for a month or two has a very good clearance of itching, papules and pustule, and redness for me. If you have oily skin along with the rosacea, it will help with that also. Just got a couple of samples of Soolantra, the new topical ivermectin cream from my dermatologist. It is doing a super job clearing the acne-like lesions and the itching at the jawbone and on the face near my ears. Cliradex eyelid wipes containing the active ingredient in tea tree oil, 4-Terpineol, have worked wonders on my itchy blepharitis and meibomian gland dysfunction. I get them at my ophthalmologist's office. The wipes can also can folded over and used on the face. I've been using these on my eyelids and on my face before bed. Sodium sulfacetamide (10 percent) and sulfur (5 percent) facial wash for acne, rosacea, and/or seborrheic dermatitis works to clear your skin, without being too harsh. I use Calming Zinc cleansing bar when my skin gets too sensitive, I really like it. Naturally, I don't currently use all these products together! Currently, I use the Cliradex wipes about every other day at bedtime and the Soolantra applied sparingly during the day.

Comment from: catwomman, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 09

I was just recently diagnosed with rosacea. I have never in my life had skin problems and my parents do not have this problem. Two days ago, the day of my dermatologist's appointment, I noticed my eye lid was slightly swollen and then the next day swollen worse! Three days later so swollen it was hard to see out of it. I am just wondering if anyone else with this rosacea has experimented this happening to them.

Comment from: Spenser Amadeus, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed just today by my dermatologist. While I was there for something else, I mentioned that a woman my age (56) should not be getting acne. The doctor said I'm at the beginning stages of rosacea and prescribed metronidazole cream twice a day. Evidently, this could also explain the problems I've been having with my contact lenses lately. My eyes have been so dry I can't wear them most days. Wish me luck.

Comment from: Blankstate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I have seen numerous doctors for rosacea. Two years ago I was told that I had a possible staph infection on my face. After months it healed and left me with large scars on my cheek and nose. Then I broke out with cystic acne. I had my intrauterine device (IUD) Mirena removed and that went away. Last summer I was diagnosed with idiopathic hives. I still have them. Five months ago I was diagnosed with rosacea. My face continually gets worse. During my initial treatment for the hives I was on 80 mg a day of prednisone. I'm not sure that has anything to do with it, but my face burns/itches constantly. My eyelids swell and my eyes burn frequently. Doctors just keep moving me from doctor to doctor, all the while I feel like my skin is falling apart. I don't hang out with people anymore. I am a 32 year old single mother of an autistic son who is now afraid to leave the house except for work. Even there people treat me poorly because I look like I don't try to take care of myself with my pizza face skin. Antibiotics orally have minimally helped but my 'new' doctor has hesitated putting me on them. I'm also on enough antihistamine to drop an elephant. I'm tired frequently. I am going to try attempt number 3 at gluten/dairy free diet, with reduced sugars. Hopefully this will help. When I have tried it in the past it actually did have moderate results in relieving my symptoms. Good luck to all of you.

Rosacea - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your rosacea?
Rosacea - Share Your Experience Question: How did the first signs of rosacea appear? Please share your experience.
Rosacea - Triggers and Diet Question: Have you noticed any triggers for your rosacea? Which foods do you avoid, and which foods help your skin?
Rosacea - Natural Remedies Question: Do you use any home or natural remedies for your rosacea? Please share tips.
Rosacea - Skin Care Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for taking care of rosacea and your sensitive skin.