Patient Comments: Rosacea - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with rosacea?

Comment from: Blankstate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I have seen numerous doctors for rosacea. Two years ago I was told that I had a possible staph infection on my face. After months it healed and left me with large scars on my cheek and nose. Then I broke out with cystic acne. I had my intrauterine device (IUD) Mirena removed and that went away. Last summer I was diagnosed with idiopathic hives. I still have them. Five months ago I was diagnosed with rosacea. My face continually gets worse. During my initial treatment for the hives I was on 80 mg a day of prednisone. I'm not sure that has anything to do with it, but my face burns/itches constantly. My eyelids swell and my eyes burn frequently. Doctors just keep moving me from doctor to doctor, all the while I feel like my skin is falling apart. I don't hang out with people anymore. I am a 32 year old single mother of an autistic son who is now afraid to leave the house except for work. Even there people treat me poorly because I look like I don't try to take care of myself with my pizza face skin. Antibiotics orally have minimally helped but my 'new' doctor has hesitated putting me on them. I'm also on enough antihistamine to drop an elephant. I'm tired frequently. I am going to try attempt number 3 at gluten/dairy free diet, with reduced sugars. Hopefully this will help. When I have tried it in the past it actually did have moderate results in relieving my symptoms. Good luck to all of you.

Comment from: AJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

Rosacea gave me red veins on the face and purple blisters (pustules), neither of which can really be disguised at all by any foundation cream. Also, if you stand under a UV light, you look like a horror show. Just really, really ugly skin and I must admit, it's depressing. Regardless of age, it's hard to pretend that this does not matter; it does matter!

Comment from: MARY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was diagnosed with rosacea when I was in my late 30s and struggling with it now more than ever in my 50s. It was sort of under control for a while because I was seeing a dermatologist, but now since I lost my job and have no health insurance my face looks like a big, old tomato. Every time I go for an interview I can't stop thinking about my face, and my own aunt said to me recently “how are you going to get a job with your face looking like that!” I can't go for another interview until I get this cleared up and really nothing over the counter works. We can send people up in space but we can't help people with this condition to make it easier on us, and make it easier to acquire medicines for this.

Comment from: Embarrassed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have recently developed Rosacea in the last 2-3 years. I am 47 years old and I am very embarrassed by it. Acne is one of my symptoms. I feel like I am 12. My adult children have looked at me and said Mom what is wrong with your face. I did see a dermatologist for the first time in my life. It seems it is trial and error and very expensive. I have an HSA and pay for it all. They will only prescribe for 3 months at a time so you have to keep paying office visits. Nothing is really working to clear it up. I was reading online one evening and read something about digestive enzymes. It triggered a thought in my head. I had my gallbladder out 3.5 years ago. Wow that was shortly before the rosacea started. My digestive system has certainly changed with having no Gallbladder now. I am going to seek the help of a Homeopath. I used to see a nature path who retired. My guess is it will be worth the money. Once again not covered by insurance.

Comment from: Grandma of 10, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have had rosacea for 15 years, and it's getting worse. I have used Metronidazole topical gel for years, and now it doesn't seem to be working at all. I was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago and take Metformin and now thyroid medication. I'm 60, and I look as if a have a bad case of acne and large veins on my cheeks. I look terrible.

Comment from: bhote, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I experienced burning, an oily face with dirt, headache, eye irritation, red-hot facial skin, and sometimes red bumps.

Rosacea - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your rosacea?
Rosacea - Share Your Experience Question: How did the first signs of rosacea appear? Please share your experience.
Rosacea - Triggers and Diet Question: Have you noticed any triggers for your rosacea? Which foods do you avoid, and which foods help your skin?
Rosacea - Natural Remedies Question: Do you use any home or natural remedies for your rosacea? Please share tips.
Rosacea - Skin Care Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for taking care of rosacea and your sensitive skin.