Patient Comments: Rosacea - Natural Remedies

Do you use any home or natural remedies for your rosacea? Please share tips.

Comment from: Vonnie, (Patient) Published: June 09

I have found that taking an antacid such as an over the counter Rennie helps to settle my burning face and pimples from rosacea, as strange as it may seem. I need to take about 6 per day usually in the mornings before breakfast.

Comment from: Tammy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have suffered from rosacea for over 40 years. I have avoided makeup, and typical skin routines because of flare ups. Dove soap, tea tree oil, and moisturizers all made the condition worse. I recently discovered that a solution of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar and purified water sprayed on my face and just left there worked and my skin looks almost normal now after 6 weeks. Even the spidery veins have gone. I also wash my face with liquid soft soap in the shower and use the vinegar solution when I visit the wash room. It is made up in a little spray bottle and I just spray it on. 1 teaspoon to 12 oz water. A cure at last!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was diagnosed with rosacea but the medicine prescribed was USD 115.00, so my doctor said to try coconut oil (Trader Joe's). It works great, the redness and flaking are gone and I smell like macaroons (only for a minute or so). It really worked well for me, it is greasy at first but then actually goes into the skin and just leaves a sheen.

Comment from: Mbosguru, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I use tea tree oil for rosacea after washing my face in the morning. I have dramatic change; little redness now. I have been on doxycycline (100 mg/day), and all the prescription gels, to no avail. I am interested in adding apple cider vinegar.

Comment from: NancyNurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I ignored my red cheeks for years, thinking it is just my Dutch heritage. Finally, I self-diagnosed and bought a tube of over-the-counter ointment for rosacea that made the redness worse. At a subsequent appointment with a dermatologist, I was prescribed Mirvaso for me and that aggravated the condition, making the redness extremely intense and even having a first time flare-up of tiny white heads in the reddened area. Additionally, the redness progressed while using Mirvaso, to my nose, my chin, and the triangle between my eyebrows. Stopping Mirvaso returned me to where I started. I read we rosacea suffers have sensitive skin. So, I started using Aveeno ultra-calming skin cleanser which contains a chamomile type ingredient, and it helps fade the red. I pat, don't rub the skin when washing, and I avoid spicy foods, carrots, and anything wheat. Eating the above, I have immediate flare-ups. I also avoid the sun, stress, and getting too over-heated. Goodbye Mexican food (my favorite) and hello listening to my body. It is best to eat one food item and then check your face. If it turned that ugly red shade, eliminate it from your body, it is basically toxic to you.

Comment from: stardust, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I've had rosacea for 20 plus years and have tried everything. I have red veins on my nose and cheeks. This week I started using rosehip cream and rosehip seed oil and Sibu pure sea buckthorn oil in the morning and before I go to bed, and my Rosacea is 80 percent gone! I cannot believe this really works! My face is like silk instead of scaly, rough and itchy. Unbelievable after all these years of awful prescriptions of Metrogel and expensive creams. Try it, it's inexpensive, it may work for you!

Comment from: M Mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I use good bacteria/probiotic every day, for a healthy digestive system. As well as, I no longer wash my face with soap or face wash, these are too harsh on the skin. I have a balanced diet. Sometimes I have outbreaks of rosacea, when this happens I use cold burdock root tea on my skin. Using the burdock has been very soothing/cooling on the skin. It takes the redness away. The tea is made by boiling up dried burdock root for about 10 minutes, letting it cool or placing it in the fridge overnight. I have been told that burdock root has anti bacteria properties. Not sure how true this is. But as a sufferer of rosacea I was willing to try anything for relief.

Rosacea - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your rosacea?
Rosacea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with rosacea?
Rosacea - Share Your Experience Question: How did the first signs of rosacea appear? Please share your experience.
Rosacea - Triggers and Diet Question: Have you noticed any triggers for your rosacea? Which foods do you avoid, and which foods help your skin?
Rosacea - Skin Care Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for taking care of rosacea and your sensitive skin.