Patient Comments: Rosacea - Natural Remedies

Do you use any home or natural remedies for your rosacea? Please share tips.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was diagnosed with rosacea but the medicine prescribed was USD 115.00, so my doctor said to try coconut oil (Trader Joe's). It works great, the redness and flaking are gone and I smell like macaroons (only for a minute or so). It really worked well for me, it is greasy at first but then actually goes into the skin and just leaves a sheen.

Comment from: Mbosguru, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I use tea tree oil for rosacea after washing my face in the morning. I have dramatic change; little redness now. I have been on doxycycline (100 mg/day), and all the prescription gels, to no avail. I am interested in adding apple cider vinegar.

Comment from: NancyNurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I ignored my red cheeks for years, thinking it is just my Dutch heritage. Finally, I self-diagnosed and bought a tube of over-the-counter ointment for rosacea that made the redness worse. At a subsequent appointment with a dermatologist, I was prescribed Mirvaso for me and that aggravated the condition, making the redness extremely intense and even having a first time flare-up of tiny white heads in the reddened area. Additionally, the redness progressed while using Mirvaso, to my nose, my chin, and the triangle between my eyebrows. Stopping Mirvaso returned me to where I started. I read we rosacea suffers have sensitive skin. So, I started using Aveeno ultra-calming skin cleanser which contains a chamomile type ingredient, and it helps fade the red. I pat, don't rub the skin when washing, and I avoid spicy foods, carrots, and anything wheat. Eating the above, I have immediate flare-ups. I also avoid the sun, stress, and getting too over-heated. Goodbye Mexican food (my favorite) and hello listening to my body. It is best to eat one food item and then check your face. If it turned that ugly red shade, eliminate it from your body, it is basically toxic to you.

Comment from: stardust, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I've had rosacea for 20 plus years and have tried everything. I have red veins on my nose and cheeks. This week I started using rosehip cream and rosehip seed oil and Sibu pure sea buckthorn oil in the morning and before I go to bed, and my Rosacea is 80 percent gone! I cannot believe this really works! My face is like silk instead of scaly, rough and itchy. Unbelievable after all these years of awful prescriptions of Metrogel and expensive creams. Try it, it's inexpensive, it may work for you!

Comment from: M Mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I use good bacteria/probiotic every day, for a healthy digestive system. As well as, I no longer wash my face with soap or face wash, these are too harsh on the skin. I have a balanced diet. Sometimes I have outbreaks of rosacea, when this happens I use cold burdock root tea on my skin. Using the burdock has been very soothing/cooling on the skin. It takes the redness away. The tea is made by boiling up dried burdock root for about 10 minutes, letting it cool or placing it in the fridge overnight. I have been told that burdock root has anti bacteria properties. Not sure how true this is. But as a sufferer of rosacea I was willing to try anything for relief.

Comment from: Sandy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

My rosacea appeared about 20 years ago, when I was 40 to 45 years old. I used Metrogel for a while, which cleared it up. My dermatologist at the time told me to use nothing on my face except antibacterial soap. And as far as creams or sunscreens, to use nothing containing alcohol or oil. A big thing for me at the time was to keep away from steam and to drink hot liquids from a covered cup. In other words, keeping my nose out of a coffee cup and not standing over a pot of boiling soup on the stove helped. Now I have only a couple of barely noticeable residual pale red spots and have had no problem for years.

Comment from: melly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Rosehip oil and evening primrose oil applied topically are a big help for rosacea.

Rosacea - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your rosacea?
Rosacea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with rosacea?
Rosacea - Share Your Experience Question: How did the first signs of rosacea appear? Please share your experience.
Rosacea - Triggers and Diet Question: Have you noticed any triggers for your rosacea? Which foods do you avoid, and which foods help your skin?
Rosacea - Skin Care Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for taking care of rosacea and your sensitive skin.