Patient Comments: Rosacea - Triggers and Diet

Have you noticed any triggers for your rosacea? Which foods do you avoid, and which foods help your skin?

Comment from: (Patient) Published: November 30

For me anyway it is stress, sun exposure, and alcohol that causes rosacea. But number one is stress. Metrogel seems to keep things from getting out of control. But I do think that good healthy gut flora is important. I take probiotics, which have helped. To be honest, I believe that everybody has a threshold beyond which chemicals in the environment affect us negatively. And I have reached mine. I think that that is the trigger. It is all just a matter of time, exposure, etc. I find now that if I leave a bottle of bleach open overnight, that will trigger my rosacea.

Comment from: Connie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I haven't had a rosacea flare up in years. I have one now. Thinking back, I don't normally drink Cokes. I have been drinking one a day for the past couple of weeks. That's when the flare up occurred. No more Cokes for me!

Comment from: barbara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have found that dairy products, in particular cheese cause the itchy red spots to appear. Also, if eating citrus fruit, particularly oranges, and the juice splashes into my face, it causes burning, followed by extreme dryness to the skin and the appearance of tiny red pimples and yellow head spots. Avoiding these food groups helps to clear the rosacea up.

Comment from: Laura, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been struggling with acne rosacea for 30 years. I recently figured out (after being told for years that there wasn't really a dietary connection) that dairy causes it for me. I gave up anything having to do with cow's milk, including butter, cheese, sour cream and buttermilk, the results of which have been nothing short of dramatic. I am amazed. My face has cleared. I regret that I did not make this connection earlier because it would have saved me a lot of heart ache.

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I'm a professional mathematician. Certain foods trigger my rosacea: chocolate, vanilla, coffee, tea, garlic, chili peppers and their derivatives, peanut butter and almond butter. Other foods can trigger it, but only if I eat a large helping, for example, smoked wild salmon, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Comment from: WyoMama, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My skin has always gotten red with cold weather. I never thought of food, other than spicy ones, as triggers. I don't drink so have never found any triggers. I recently found that there was a yeast or fungus on the rosacea. With the use of medicated powder, I seem to be left with only the rosacea.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

Spicy food, any alcohol, chilies and cheese trigger my rosacea.

Rosacea - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your rosacea?
Rosacea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with rosacea?
Rosacea - Share Your Experience Question: How did the first signs of rosacea appear? Please share your experience.
Rosacea - Natural Remedies Question: Do you use any home or natural remedies for your rosacea? Please share tips.
Rosacea - Skin Care Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for taking care of rosacea and your sensitive skin.