Patient Comments: Rosacea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your rosacea?

Comment from: Migron R., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have been using DermalMD rosacea serum for a few weeks and am pleased so far. I have mild rosacea from time to time and my skin is extremely sensitive and reactive so that I cannot use many products. This serum is pleasant to use and seems to have calmed my skin. It has no discernible odor and has a nice feel on the skin.

Comment from: Cole, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have found that washing my face with warm water and then applying generic supermarket hydrocortisone to my face before bedtime has dramatically reduced my rosacea. I am not sure if there are any ill side effects to doing so, please do your own research. I think it works because we are subconsciously scratching our faces without really thinking about it, especially in our sleep. Or perhaps it's simply something bacteria don't like; I have no idea.

Comment from: DottyM, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 12

My husband has had rosacea around his nose for years and used topical antibiotics to try, unsuccessfully, to control it. After reading about fecal transplants to re-establish proper bacteria in the colon (which cures many diseases) we got an idea. My skin is healthy. I scraped skin cells from my face using a clean tool meant for pushing back nail cuticles. I even express my pores to supply more cells. He then uses the tool to rub those cells onto the identical location on his face. Don't worry if you can't see many cells on the tool you use, the microscopic bacteria are there. We read bacteria are mostly similar from person to person in the same body part area. We speculated that long term antibiotic use killed the good bacteria and disrupted the balance needed to fight infections, just like what happens in a colon. So far, success! It's been a month and he has had no break out, and the painful under-the-surface bumps that were there are gone. He stopped using the antibiotic cream before starting this experiment. Maybe someone else wants to try this also.

Comment from: RIX, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I have had rosacea for 8 years, tried many lotions and sun blocks that made it worse. But I tried Vanicream lotion that has worked great. I always keep my face moisturized 2 or 3 times a day and wash with Dove bar soap, green and white box. My triggers are cold winds, hot humid days, and hot showers. Probably helps if one is hydrated. I feel like the lotion insulates my face from heat and cold because it is thick and not many chemicals in it that might irritate, but it won't last all day and is better if applied a couple of times a day, and at bedtime and in morning.

Comment from: proffy22, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I have now found a cure for rosacea which works for me where products like Rozex only attenuated the problem over many years. I believe the form I had was caused by a virus and I discovered some time ago I could get rid of a wart within a few days by pressing very cold ice cube on it. So I tried the same, holding ice on the sides of my nose which were affected. The rosacea disappeared within a few days and I have been clear for months now. I use very cold ice cubes from the freezer, which must be at about 15 degrees, and hold this on till it begins to ache.

Comment from: Susie.., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

My outbreak of rosacea is mainly triggered by stress and even more when I use face moisturizer. Most often I have a breakout within days of wearing face cream so it is just a dab of foundation and nothing else. The condition started when I was 38 due to my husband and his girlfriends. I was treated with cortisone creams that caused it to increase, the best treatment is minomycin tablet.

Comment from: diamond, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Rosacea needs daily attention to keep it under control. There are some easy things that I do and they help my face stay mostly clear. Before I tried this regime, my face was full of sores and very red. Now I use Dove soap and only Dove. I also use a soft puff to exfoliate every night when I wash my face. In the morning I use Neutrogena Stress Control wipes. At night I use tea tree oil wipes. I also use makeup or skin cream during the day with a lot of sunscreen for protection and conditioning. For me, stress is my biggest enemy. It really causes my rosacea to flare up.

Rosacea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with rosacea?
Rosacea - Share Your Experience Question: How did the first signs of rosacea appear? Please share your experience.
Rosacea - Triggers and Diet Question: Have you noticed any triggers for your rosacea? Which foods do you avoid, and which foods help your skin?
Rosacea - Natural Remedies Question: Do you use any home or natural remedies for your rosacea? Please share tips.
Rosacea - Skin Care Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for taking care of rosacea and your sensitive skin.