Patient Comments: Rosacea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your rosacea?

Comment from: Besma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am a 48-year-old female and was recently diagnosed with rosacea. I have been using Metronidazole and Elidel creams with little success. Besides the blushing and pimples, I also experience a lot of itching, almost as if tiny bugs were crawling on my face. My eyes are also affected. They become swollen and very itchy.

Comment from: always hopeful, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 54 years old and have had rosacea for over 20 years. My condition has progressed to point that I am having difficulty with rhinophyma. I have tried every drug available and have undergone thousands of dollars of laser treatments, all to naught. While I do not suffer redness or telangiectasia (I hope that is spelled correctly), I do have cysts, papules and bumps and enlargement of my nose. I have found that simple milk of magnesia applied to the face at night has a beneficial effect and have been using it for some time. I read about this in a doctor's collum in our news paper. I wash with a sulpha cleanser and apply Duac gel during the day and stay out of the sun and heat.

Comment from: c arole, Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I recently got diagnosed with severe rosacea, it is affecting my eyes, and burning my skin. Doctor gave me some cream but it is not helping.

Comment from: cookie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I am 70 years old and now at this late age I have rosacea! It is bad, it is always like a blowtorch has hit my face and it has hit my eyes. I can find nothing that helps and it is a nightmare. I have been to so many doctors and get no relief at all.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Pulsed dye laser got rid of the little red veins. Isolaz helped the background redness kind of like a "blanket" treatment ! I gave up using certain cleansers Boots No7 soft and soothed is OK. So is Avene the French brand Lush oatifix face mask is really nice and soothing too I don't drink alcohol and I NEVER do the sun.

Comment from: Mat, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I tried numerous things from laser treatments to different creams. The laser treatment worked for a few months at a time, but it was expensive and painful. Now I use a cream called Finacea. It is hands down the best treatment I have tried. This was about 7 or 8 years ago and I still swear by it. I have found that I need to wet shave twice a week (possibly helping exfoliate the skin), but this is a minor detail as far as I am concerned. Living in Perth, Australia, and working on the ocean, it is almost impossible to avoid sunlight, which is one of the worst triggers for the condition. The combination of the cream and shaving has worked well.

Comment from: Chris100, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I suffered from an outbreak of rosacea 2 years ago at the age of 45 and it has gotten worse than I could imagine at times. I've seen a dermatologist and took pills and creams and tried every anti-redding product out there-nothing worked-until now. For one week now I have been using pure Australian Tea Tree Oil on a cotton pad twice a day and my redness and bumps/acne has disappeared. The pure oil not the diluted spray etc. It hasn't been this clear for years. I bought it in the drug store for 19.00 and in a week have used about 25% of the bottle so very affordable. You have nothing to lose- try it!!!!!!!!

Comment from: Self cured, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I recently suffered from rosacea for three years before discovering what triggered it. I tried all kinds of treatments, and the only one that worked was a daily dose of 80 mg of Solodyn. That kept it in check, but I still had small flare ups once in a while. I did find out what was triggering it, though. Any food with wheat in it causes it for me. And the reaction is very bad. Maybe it's the gluten? To a lesser degree, lactose will cause it to flare. I cut out these two foods, and I am totally cured. I take no medicine any more. Any of you who suffer from this condition I truly have sympathy for you, but you might want to look into cutting out these two types of food.

Rosacea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with rosacea?
Rosacea - Share Your Experience Question: How did the first signs of rosacea appear? Please share your experience.
Rosacea - Triggers and Diet Question: Have you noticed any triggers for your rosacea? Which foods do you avoid, and which foods help your skin?
Rosacea - Natural Remedies Question: Do you use any home or natural remedies for your rosacea? Please share tips.
Rosacea - Skin Care Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for taking care of rosacea and your sensitive skin.