Patient Comments: Rosacea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your rosacea?

Published: May 12

My wife had what may have been rosacea or a weird acne breakout on her right mid to upper cheek only. It got to the point that without makeup on she looked scary. I told her to try a apple cider vinegar treatment that worked for our daughters warts, so she gave it a try after nothing else worked, what she did was every night before she went to sleep she took the tip of a q-tip and soaked it in organic apple cider vinegar then squeezed the excess out of it still leaving it wet though, she placed it over the area and covered it with a band aid and slept with it over night, she did this for a week straight without missing a day and it has improved to the point that if she's not wearing make up she doesn't look scary anymore. I would say that it has helped dramatically and I know it works for warts because we did it on our 8 year old daughter and after a week they were gone.

Comment from: tcam0678, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I suffered from rosacea for more than 10 years. Metrogel made my condition worse. Finally, I saw a dermatologist who prescribed Clindoxyl topical gel. It cleared up my rosacea after one to two months of use. After two years, my face is even better, and I seldom see any redness. I use it daily to keep my rosacea under control.

Comment from: ffirgp, 55-64 Male Published: February 17

I am 55. My rosacea appeared at 35. My dermatologist had me try several topical treatments to no avail. Tetracycline was the only treatment that provided relief. At 50, I was working away from home for an extended period, and my prescription expired. The rosacea did not flare-up within a week, which it had done in the past. No serious flare-ups have occurred since. My dermatologist had explained at the outset that rosacea mostly affects men between the ages of 30 to 50. Hopefully, I have outgrown rosacea.

Comment from: hopethishelps, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

For me I think it has a lot to do with the gut and yeast. I can not consume sugars or yeast. Processed food a big no..no! (this really makes sense alcohol, is yeast and sugar). I truly believe using a premium strain of acidophilus with bifidus is very helpful.(a pro biotic) I have an allergist that is trying to rid me of Candida yeast.(using nystatin and yeast allergy needles) This yeast and my face flair up bad in the fall every year. I may not have dry eye either after reading this. Good to know. I also have a process called Accent done, it is for acne. All of this combined is starting to clear my face up considerably.

Comment from: Jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have suffered from rosacea off and on for over 20 years, and I have been on antibiotics about 3 times. Each time, I found it was not all that effective, and I didn't like having to take antibiotics for 3 months plus. Then, I had a huge flare-up when I was getting chemotherapy for breast cancer and the dermatologist at the teaching hospital in Geneva where I was being treated put me on a combination of antibiotics plus Rozex, a metronidazole gel. The simple combination was much more effective and now, whenever it starts to flare up again, I just use the Rozex again and it controls it. She also recommended a greenish cream made by a french company, Avene, which I use under make-up if it gets bad. They do a thick one called Diroseal and a quite nice moisturizer. (Other things I'd tried were a bit cloggy and made me look seasick). What a brilliant article, though. I might even try laser treatment now, after having read the comments.

Comment from: Besma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am a 48-year-old female and was recently diagnosed with rosacea. I have been using Metronidazole and Elidel creams with little success. Besides the blushing and pimples, I also experience a lot of itching, almost as if tiny bugs were crawling on my face. My eyes are also affected. They become swollen and very itchy.

Comment from: always hopeful, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 54 years old and have had rosacea for over 20 years. My condition has progressed to point that I am having difficulty with rhinophyma. I have tried every drug available and have undergone thousands of dollars of laser treatments, all to naught. While I do not suffer redness or telangiectasia (I hope that is spelled correctly), I do have cysts, papules and bumps and enlargement of my nose. I have found that simple milk of magnesia applied to the face at night has a beneficial effect and have been using it for some time. I read about this in a doctor's collum in our news paper. I wash with a sulpha cleanser and apply Duac gel during the day and stay out of the sun and heat.

Rosacea - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with rosacea?
Rosacea - Share Your Experience Question: How did the first signs of rosacea appear? Please share your experience.
Rosacea - Triggers and Diet Question: Have you noticed any triggers for your rosacea? Which foods do you avoid, and which foods help your skin?
Rosacea - Natural Remedies Question: Do you use any home or natural remedies for your rosacea? Please share tips.
Rosacea - Skin Care Question: Please provide tips and suggestions for taking care of rosacea and your sensitive skin.