Patient Comments: Root Canal - Procedures

How painful was your root canal procedure?

Comment from: Me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I just had a root canal done and it was very painful whatever they did after taking the nerve out. It was very painful and even now after three days it hurts. I am taking painkillers every 6 to 8 hours, and antibiotics. I went to my dentist in pain at first thinking it was just that my filling needed to be done again and they said I needed a root canal. After starting the process they gave me the bill of about 1700 which doesn't include the post (475) and the crown 1100. I have insurance but they said they don't pay out that much. I'm up at 4 am now in pain. I feel like getting the tooth pulled. This was a bad experience for me. I cannot afford this bill and still in pain.

Comment from: Jmar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

After feeling pain in my back molar for about two days I immediately sought dental assistance. I had my first root canal done today. After three shots in my gums in the area where the tooth was, I was numb to the world. I put on my headphones and listened to music as instructed by the dental assistant. After about 1 hour of drilling and tugging I was done! I had no pain during the procedure whatsoever. Afterward the assistant gave me two 400 mg ibuprofen to take before the numbing wore off. I did feel a tad sore for maybe 20 minutes after the procedure. After that the ibuprofen had kicked in, the numbness wore off and I haven't taken any medicines since. I feel awesome! I went to an endodontist's office and the dentist told me it was a great call to not have waited around and I advise anyone with tooth problems to go fast! Save your tooth and avoid a painful experience. The doctor was also very pleasant, as well as his staff. Great experience!

Comment from: BOwens, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I had a root canal on one of my bottom front teeth. It was a very long but painless procedure. My tooth was a little irritated the next day but today is day three after the procedure and the pain is killing me. I hope the pain eases soon because it's only Saturday.

Comment from: ballroom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

My root canal procedure was lots of pain. I can't bite down on that tooth and the crown replacement has been postponed due to the pain/inflammation. This is my third root canal, and different endodontist. I won't have any other done in the future and will consider other options, i.e., implants.

Comment from: Mira, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was extremely nervous before the root canal procedure but it was 100% painless! Sure, all the tool noises weren't great but I felt no pain during the procedure and even better, no pain afterwards. The dentist said that ibuprofen will help with the expected pain which I was scared about, but I ended up needing no ibuprofen at all. Fantastic, really! I know it sounds crazy but it really did go great!

Comment from: kimber1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had two root canals done in October, they did not take so the dentist sent me to pain management. I just want the procedure to be done right the 2nd time around, but so far a brain scan is done and they still have not re-done the root canals. This is March and I am still wearing the temporary crowns.

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had a root canal through a crown. This is the worst pain I have ever had with any dental procedure. It's the 3rd day and it is excruciating. I cannot take much more.

Comment from: CaptArt, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

First root canal was actually 2, one in tooth 6 and one in 7. Both teeth needed posts. Entire procedure took about 90 minutes including drilling tooth 6 for 5 minutes and tooth 7 had calcified root which took 20 minutes to remove. Numbness wore off as I was leaving the dentist's office. I took 4 Advil followed 6 hours later by 2 more Advil. Two days later there's no pain, but gums were a little sore. This procedure was easier and less painful than a crown fitting.

Root Canal - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with root canal.
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?