Patient Comments: Root Canal - Procedures

How painful was your root canal procedure?

Comment from: RN, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was visiting friends who were all coughing. And coughing into their hands instead of their arm. When you cough into your hands you are spreading the germs to door knobs and anything else you touch. Sure enough I came down with acute bronchitis. Coughing so hard you feel like you've done a thousand abdominal crunches. I was put on prednisone and albuterol Inhaler. One thing I find that helps is a fan on at night. It covers up that annoying wheezing lung sound. Found it helpful in sleeping.

Comment from: massive swelling, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a root canal yesterday morning. I've had a couple of these procedures in the past and they all went very well with very little pain. This time, not so lucky. The procedure itself was not so bad because I had been numbed up, but within a few hours of leaving the chair the left side of my face started to swell and the pain increased. Now, 36 hours after the procedure I'm badly swollen all along my jawline to my lips. It looks like I've got a ping pong ball inside my mouth. Throbbing pain is keeping me awake as I write this at midnight. The doctor has prescribed a powerful antibiotic, but nothing seems to be helping. I am hopeful that the pain and swelling will go down tomorrow as I can't work, sleep or even eat properly as it stands now.

Comment from: Me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I just had a root canal done and it was very painful whatever they did after taking the nerve out. It was very painful and even now after three days it hurts. I am taking painkillers every 6 to 8 hours, and antibiotics. I went to my dentist in pain at first thinking it was just that my filling needed to be done again and they said I needed a root canal. After starting the process they gave me the bill of about 1700 which doesn't include the post (475) and the crown 1100. I have insurance but they said they don't pay out that much. I'm up at 4 am now in pain. I feel like getting the tooth pulled. This was a bad experience for me. I cannot afford this bill and still in pain.

Comment from: Jmar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

After feeling pain in my back molar for about two days I immediately sought dental assistance. I had my first root canal done today. After three shots in my gums in the area where the tooth was, I was numb to the world. I put on my headphones and listened to music as instructed by the dental assistant. After about 1 hour of drilling and tugging I was done! I had no pain during the procedure whatsoever. Afterward the assistant gave me two 400 mg ibuprofen to take before the numbing wore off. I did feel a tad sore for maybe 20 minutes after the procedure. After that the ibuprofen had kicked in, the numbness wore off and I haven't taken any medicines since. I feel awesome! I went to an endodontist's office and the dentist told me it was a great call to not have waited around and I advise anyone with tooth problems to go fast! Save your tooth and avoid a painful experience. The doctor was also very pleasant, as well as his staff. Great experience!

Comment from: BOwens, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I had a root canal on one of my bottom front teeth. It was a very long but painless procedure. My tooth was a little irritated the next day but today is day three after the procedure and the pain is killing me. I hope the pain eases soon because it's only Saturday.

Comment from: ballroom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

My root canal procedure was lots of pain. I can't bite down on that tooth and the crown replacement has been postponed due to the pain/inflammation. This is my third root canal, and different endodontist. I won't have any other done in the future and will consider other options, i.e., implants.

Comment from: Mira, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was extremely nervous before the root canal procedure but it was 100% painless! Sure, all the tool noises weren't great but I felt no pain during the procedure and even better, no pain afterwards. The dentist said that ibuprofen will help with the expected pain which I was scared about, but I ended up needing no ibuprofen at all. Fantastic, really! I know it sounds crazy but it really did go great!

Root Canal - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with root canal.
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?