Patient Comments: Root Canal - Procedures

How painful was your root canal procedure?

Comment from: barley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I worked 2nd shift so I scheduled my appointment for 10 am. The root canal procedure lasted 2 hours and it was tiring with an open mouth and painful. I now have a crown but my bite is off and needs adjusting. It is still sore the following day and I eat only on the opposite side. I had to call in sick to work the day of the root canal procedure. My lesson is to do this when you have a day or two off to allow time to recover.

Comment from: sunshine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

It took 3 hours and 45 minutes, and I had to be numbed 4 times, tears streaming uncontrollably down my face. Then to make it even worse the dentist hits my vein under my tooth and I had to have laser to stop my bleeding; mouth full of blood. I had to ask for more numbing because I was afraid of what that pain would have been like. Pain pill made me puke, I'm not going back there again.

Comment from: aearnest17266, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I went in last Wednesday for my first root canal. I was so nervous I went through the surgery part really well. It didn't hurt at all the next day a little pain by the third day bad pain. It is Monday now called the dentist went in and had him look at it because I have a huge bump on the gum and in major pain. He said it was because there was a bad infection and that it didn't drain much when he was doing the root canal. I am now going to be on meds for 2 weeks and he gave me pain pills that doesn't seem to be helping much.

Comment from: Eric, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

Although I am the world's biggest baby there was no pain whatsoever. It was a root canal on my upper molar.

Comment from: NotScaredanyMore, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

My root canal experience was great. I was not nervous or stared because I knew I was in good hands. I have been seeing my dentist for nine years. He has been in practice for 40 years. I have never had a problem with him. He is very skilled and knowledgeable of what he provided. There's no surprises here. My last procedure is this week. At my first root canal visit he put numbing gel on gums and then gave me 2 shots of lidocaine in the gum where the procedure will be done. It felt like a bee sting. The drilling was the only thing i didn't like and the taste afterward in my mouth. After a couple of minutes I didn't feel any pain. The only side effect was my lips and mouth were puffy on that side and felt cold and numb. I couldn't eat on that side or drink until about 2 hours afterward. I did not want to bit my tongue or lip by accident. The first procedure took about one hour with waiting on the numbing gel medication to work. And 30 minutes for the second visit. I made sure I had taken once 400mg Ibuprofen afterwards. My doctor gave me antibiotic and Vicodin at the first visit. I didn't need the Vicodin at all (Very mild pain). The next following day, I was not in pain. Please make sure you ask questions and know the dentist experience when getting any dental work done and the cost. I hope this help!

Comment from: Hazel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I had trauma to my 2front upper teeth on the 13th July, had root canal the following week painful procedure! Felt the pain even after.....4 injections got 2 more days after the procedure i can still feel the pain worse than before procedure, cant bite or put my teeth together.....hopefully it will get better in time :(

Comment from: suzyq61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had a root canal one week ago. I found it to be a painful procedure. Just giving the novocaine is bad enough. I read the entire article from this site. My dentist did not do any X-rays during my procedure nor used any type of microscope. The endodontist charged $1000 for less than 40 minutes of work, and the temporary filling fell out in three days. Make sure to thoroughly check out your dentist and have insurance. Good luck!

Comment from: Polishprincess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a root canal done today on a tooth which already had a cap on it but was also abscessed. The dentist said he was unable to locate two of the canals .what does he mean by that? Tonight I am in extreme pain. He gave me a script for hydrocodone and I am also on Clindomycin...ugh..he is a DMD and I hope he knows what he is doing.

Root Canal - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with root canal.
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?