Patient Comments: Root Canal - Procedures

How painful was your root canal procedure?

Comment from: Frustrated, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

During the root canal, all was going fine, no pain, till the dentist stuck in rods with notches to measure tooth root length, which caused great pain and I had to be given more anesthesia. I'm guessing he pushed it in too far.

Comment from: barley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I worked 2nd shift so I scheduled my appointment for 10 am. The root canal procedure lasted 2 hours and it was tiring with an open mouth and painful. I now have a crown but my bite is off and needs adjusting. It is still sore the following day and I eat only on the opposite side. I had to call in sick to work the day of the root canal procedure. My lesson is to do this when you have a day or two off to allow time to recover.

Comment from: sunshine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

It took 3 hours and 45 minutes, and I had to be numbed 4 times, tears streaming uncontrollably down my face. Then to make it even worse the dentist hits my vein under my tooth and I had to have laser to stop my bleeding; mouth full of blood. I had to ask for more numbing because I was afraid of what that pain would have been like. Pain pill made me puke, I'm not going back there again.

Comment from: aearnest17266, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I went in last Wednesday for my first root canal. I was so nervous I went through the surgery part really well. It didn't hurt at all the next day a little pain by the third day bad pain. It is Monday now called the dentist went in and had him look at it because I have a huge bump on the gum and in major pain. He said it was because there was a bad infection and that it didn't drain much when he was doing the root canal. I am now going to be on meds for 2 weeks and he gave me pain pills that doesn't seem to be helping much.

Comment from: mountaingeezer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I"d had a root canal 30 years ago, silver point, which was uneventful, but that caused an infection just recently. I went to an endodontist who did a thorough evaluation, and did the procedure of extraction and re-packing 2 days ago. He was quite aggressive in needling the Novocain on the lower gum line in front (#23). The procedure went well, but the post-op pain has increased constantly despite being on penicillin, and taking Vicodin which can bring the pain score down from an 8.5 to a 5. Makes me wonder if some damage was done to a nerve. I will try for a follow up consult first thing tomorrow morning.

Comment from: Eric, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

Although I am the world's biggest baby there was no pain whatsoever. It was a root canal on my upper molar.

Comment from: NotScaredanyMore, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

My root canal experience was great. I was not nervous or stared because I knew I was in good hands. I have been seeing my dentist for nine years. He has been in practice for 40 years. I have never had a problem with him. He is very skilled and knowledgeable of what he provided. There's no surprises here. My last procedure is this week. At my first root canal visit he put numbing gel on gums and then gave me 2 shots of lidocaine in the gum where the procedure will be done. It felt like a bee sting. The drilling was the only thing i didn't like and the taste afterward in my mouth. After a couple of minutes I didn't feel any pain. The only side effect was my lips and mouth were puffy on that side and felt cold and numb. I couldn't eat on that side or drink until about 2 hours afterward. I did not want to bit my tongue or lip by accident. The first procedure took about one hour with waiting on the numbing gel medication to work. And 30 minutes for the second visit. I made sure I had taken once 400mg Ibuprofen afterwards. My doctor gave me antibiotic and Vicodin at the first visit. I didn't need the Vicodin at all (Very mild pain). The next following day, I was not in pain. Please make sure you ask questions and know the dentist experience when getting any dental work done and the cost. I hope this help!

Root Canal - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with root canal.
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?