Patient Comments: Root Canal - Procedures

How painful was your root canal procedure?

Comment from: Bonnieblue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have had several root canals and most of them were not successful. The best one was done at a local dental college. It was a procedure on a back upper molar. The tooth was first deadened then the canals were cleaned and a temporary filling put in. After that I had to have several more cleanings done without shots. It was a little painful but I have never had any trouble with that tooth. I think the main problem with a molar root canal is they don't get all of the nerve. I think that several maybe four or five treatments are necessary when you have three or four root canals in a large tooth. Go to the dental college. You will save your tooth.

Comment from: mimi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I just had my first root canl yesterday. I have a infection but I have the worst pain right now and The doctor prescribed me light pain killers and the pain is unbarriable.

Comment from: marilyn, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have had several root canals for bridge work. My last procedure was terrible. I had had an abcess previously and had to take medication for 2 weeks before the procedure. The procedure was very tense due to pressure dentist exerted in installing instruments necessary for root canal. From this extreme pressure, sinuses in the area were involved and I had 3 months of problems and more medication for infections plus sinus mri and scoping. That was three years ago and I have not been back to dentist but do floss and brush regularly...

Comment from: schnauzymomma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I only felt pain from the shots to administer the numbing medicine for my root canal. After that, I felt some pressure here and there, but no pain, even after returning home. It was really a piece of cake and much easier than a filling, I thought.

Comment from: sickandtired, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I went to the dentist for fillings, had my incisor drilled out only to find I needed a root canal or extraction. I chose root canal. So far I am regretting it. I was in tremendous pain in the 2 weeks that I waited for the root canal appointment. I called the dentist twice only to be given antibiotics, the second call led to loratab for pain which is useless! At the root canal appointment I was told he had drilled too far, and didn't know it. He was apologetic but said I would not be in this pain again. I have a temporary filling in now until the real one can be done in 4 weeks. Let me say - I am again in the same tremendous pain. Pain shooting across my head, my ear, my eyes, upper and lower jaws, cheeks and face. Having great difficulty sleeping and can't eat. So I am nauseous now since I am taking Tylenol with codeine given to me by someone who feels pity on me. That helps with the pain but taking it on an empty stomach has proven to be very sickening. The pain won't stop and now I remember why I never wanted to go to the dentist in the first place.

Comment from: jengeral2488, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had no pain at all and there wasn't even a Novocain shot or nitrous involved.

Comment from: Yin Yi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have just got a molar root canal done today. It was painless because of local anesthetic administered before the procedure. The only sore part is the inner wall of the mouth due to over-stretching for a long period of time (about an hour).

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

Having a root canal done was not painful at all other than when the local was administered (which was no worse than when one is numbed for a filling). I did not like "hearing" the work being done, but it did not hurt. All I felt was some pressure from time to time.

Root Canal - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with root canal.
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?