Patient Comments: Root Canal - Procedures

How painful was your root canal procedure?

Comment from: shaman, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had a root canal yesterday. The procedure was not painful as I had a local anesthetic, but when it wore off the pain was worse than before the procedure. On the second day today I have a constant dull ache. I was given an antibiotic which made me nauseated. I'm still in a lot of pain and I am wondering if the pain is from infection.

Comment from: Sorry I did it, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have had three root canals over my life time and so far have lost two of the "saved" teeth due to infection at the root of the tooth. The teeth are not ever fully sterilized from the infection and remnants can and most likely do remain. It can and will take years to reoccur. That is something the dentist's don't tell you. Patient beware.

Comment from: MamaBoxer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had a root canal three days ago after being on antibiotics for a month to get rid of the infection. As the dentist was drilling out the canal, he began to see a lot of drainage, so he put in a temporary filling and put me back on antibiotics and I go back in a week. I am in more pain now than I was originally. My tooth throbs with pain and the pain pills he gave me don't do a thing for it. Next time the dentist says I need a root canal, I think I'll have the tooth pulled first!

Comment from: Bonnieblue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have had several root canals and most of them were not successful. The best one was done at a local dental college. It was a procedure on a back upper molar. The tooth was first deadened then the canals were cleaned and a temporary filling put in. After that I had to have several more cleanings done without shots. It was a little painful but I have never had any trouble with that tooth. I think the main problem with a molar root canal is they don't get all of the nerve. I think that several maybe four or five treatments are necessary when you have three or four root canals in a large tooth. Go to the dental college. You will save your tooth.

Comment from: mimi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I just had my first root canl yesterday. I have a infection but I have the worst pain right now and The doctor prescribed me light pain killers and the pain is unbarriable.

Comment from: marilyn, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have had several root canals for bridge work. My last procedure was terrible. I had had an abcess previously and had to take medication for 2 weeks before the procedure. The procedure was very tense due to pressure dentist exerted in installing instruments necessary for root canal. From this extreme pressure, sinuses in the area were involved and I had 3 months of problems and more medication for infections plus sinus mri and scoping. That was three years ago and I have not been back to dentist but do floss and brush regularly...

Comment from: schnauzymomma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I only felt pain from the shots to administer the numbing medicine for my root canal. After that, I felt some pressure here and there, but no pain, even after returning home. It was really a piece of cake and much easier than a filling, I thought.

Comment from: sickandtired, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I went to the dentist for fillings, had my incisor drilled out only to find I needed a root canal or extraction. I chose root canal. So far I am regretting it. I was in tremendous pain in the 2 weeks that I waited for the root canal appointment. I called the dentist twice only to be given antibiotics, the second call led to loratab for pain which is useless! At the root canal appointment I was told he had drilled too far, and didn't know it. He was apologetic but said I would not be in this pain again. I have a temporary filling in now until the real one can be done in 4 weeks. Let me say - I am again in the same tremendous pain. Pain shooting across my head, my ear, my eyes, upper and lower jaws, cheeks and face. Having great difficulty sleeping and can't eat. So I am nauseous now since I am taking Tylenol with codeine given to me by someone who feels pity on me. That helps with the pain but taking it on an empty stomach has proven to be very sickening. The pain won't stop and now I remember why I never wanted to go to the dentist in the first place.

Root Canal - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with root canal.
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?