Patient Comments: Root Canal - Procedures

How painful was your root canal procedure?

Comment from: ClaraP., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had my first root canal, I'm 29 and I never even had a cavity! The only experience I've had was orthodontics, regular cleaning and the ever painful wisdom teeth! One day I just started having severe pain in my lower jaw...chin area. I went to the dentist and they saw nothing out of the ordinary but sent me to Endodontist just to be sure. Well sure enough I had nerve damage to a tooth that probably happened as a child, the tooth had been dead awhile but no one ever had caught it and it had never bothered me. I had to get a root canal and I just thought of horror stories with root canals. But honestly the worst pain was the numbing medicine. I didn't feel anything after the medicine kicked in and once it wore off I think where the needle had gone into my gums hurt worse than where they had done the root canal. And my mouth was a little sore but nothing to be afraid off.

Comment from: Kathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I had my first root canal today by an endodontist. I had been on antibiotics for 5 days from an excruciating abscess that had caused severe pain and cheek swelling. Was in extreme pain. My dentist had me scheduled for a root canal in 10 days. I took matters into my own hands, called my dentist and asked for a referral to an endodontist. They took me in one hour and the whole procedure took less than an hour, was painless, and I am feeling no pain at all now, 6 hours after the root canal (2 canals) I am to stay on antibiotics for a week and then will go back for the final "sealing" after the infection has subsided. I highly suggest going to a specialist who does these on a daily basis and knows what they are doing. I had read that the infection only goes away when the source of the infection is gone. Infection is too dangerous these days to have lurking around for 2 weeks! It's your life folks - be your own advocate. Ask around as to who is a good endodontist and don't stop until you have an appt.!

Comment from: shaman, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had a root canal yesterday. The procedure was not painful as I had a local anesthetic, but when it wore off the pain was worse than before the procedure. On the second day today I have a constant dull ache. I was given an antibiotic which made me nauseated. I'm still in a lot of pain and I am wondering if the pain is from infection.

Comment from: Sorry I did it, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have had three root canals over my life time and so far have lost two of the "saved" teeth due to infection at the root of the tooth. The teeth are not ever fully sterilized from the infection and remnants can and most likely do remain. It can and will take years to reoccur. That is something the dentist's don't tell you. Patient beware.

Comment from: MamaBoxer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had a root canal three days ago after being on antibiotics for a month to get rid of the infection. As the dentist was drilling out the canal, he began to see a lot of drainage, so he put in a temporary filling and put me back on antibiotics and I go back in a week. I am in more pain now than I was originally. My tooth throbs with pain and the pain pills he gave me don't do a thing for it. Next time the dentist says I need a root canal, I think I'll have the tooth pulled first!

Comment from: Bonnieblue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have had several root canals and most of them were not successful. The best one was done at a local dental college. It was a procedure on a back upper molar. The tooth was first deadened then the canals were cleaned and a temporary filling put in. After that I had to have several more cleanings done without shots. It was a little painful but I have never had any trouble with that tooth. I think the main problem with a molar root canal is they don't get all of the nerve. I think that several maybe four or five treatments are necessary when you have three or four root canals in a large tooth. Go to the dental college. You will save your tooth.

Comment from: mimi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I just had my first root canl yesterday. I have a infection but I have the worst pain right now and The doctor prescribed me light pain killers and the pain is unbarriable.

Root Canal - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with root canal.
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?