Patient Comments: Root Canal - Procedures

How painful was your root canal procedure?

Comment from: Polishprincess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a root canal done today on a tooth which already had a cap on it but was also abscessed. The dentist said he was unable to locate two of the canals .what does he mean by that? Tonight I am in extreme pain. He gave me a script for hydrocodone and I am also on Clindomycin...ugh..he is a DMD and I hope he knows what he is doing.

Comment from: Root Man, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I had an infected tooth on Memorial Day, and the pain was excruciating. I couldn't eat, sleep, or drink. I went to the dentist the next morning and had to have a root canal on a “hot” tooth. After six shots of novocaine, the dentist went to work. The only pain I felt was the last part of the internal tooth cleaning, only because the novocaine didn't fully work, due to the infection. Three hours after the procedure, I was fully pain-free and eating dinner that same night.

Comment from: schotime, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a horrible experience. I was in and out of the dentist's office for eight weeks and never did get the root canal. By the time they were done trying to save one tooth, I had to have three removed. I never experienced so much pain in my life (and I have given birth twice). I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, it changed the look of my face because I got so swollen that when my hubby took me to the ER they thought he had beaten me. (Sort of funny now, but not then.) I got a horrible infection and had to have stiches up and down the inside gum lines. What a mess. Never again – just pull the tooth!

Comment from: (Patient) Published: November 21

I had sensitivity in a back lower molar. I went to my dentist for a scheduled cleaning/exam, which was done. Two days later, the same molar was painful. I called and the dentist started a root canal on the molar. Very painful experience, 6 shots of Novocaine required. A few more days went by and it was evident that I had an infection, so I was put on an antibiotic series for 10 days. I developed TMJ from all the manipulation of the visits. My tongue was numb and painful. I was told to wait 3 weeks. I went back to have the root canal finished up, and was put on another kind of antibiotic since I had not gotten rid of the pain. I am now taking narcotic pain relievers or Advil for it. Now, after nearly 8 days on the new antibiotic I still have a painful tooth. I can't chew on the tooth and I have a sore jaw bone below the tooth. I wish I had just gotten the tooth pulled, but it is a large molar. I never had so much trouble with root canals in the past.

Comment from: weiz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had mine yesterday, I felt no pain during the procedure and afterwards was so surprised that I could eat only 2 hours after the procedure.

Comment from: cb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I just finished about an hour ago a root canal on my #18 lower, rear molar. The tooth had a vertical crack in it after several years of replacing fillings. It was very sensitive to hot/cold and pressure (biting down on a piece of bacon was like an electrical shock). The dentist said a RCT was inevitable. I knew the nerve was sensitive so he gave me two shots to start. All felt numb until he started drilling, then he hit that nerve - OUCH! He gave me another shot right in the canal itself. Same thing happened again when he tried drilling - so another shot. Waited ten minutes and then the remaining drilling of two other canals was fine. All the other cleaning and filling work was pain free. I think the first canal was infected so nerves were "hot." All in all, though, the previous two replacement fillings in the same tooth were a lot worse.

Comment from: ClaraP., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had my first root canal, I'm 29 and I never even had a cavity! The only experience I've had was orthodontics, regular cleaning and the ever painful wisdom teeth! One day I just started having severe pain in my lower jaw...chin area. I went to the dentist and they saw nothing out of the ordinary but sent me to Endodontist just to be sure. Well sure enough I had nerve damage to a tooth that probably happened as a child, the tooth had been dead awhile but no one ever had caught it and it had never bothered me. I had to get a root canal and I just thought of horror stories with root canals. But honestly the worst pain was the numbing medicine. I didn't feel anything after the medicine kicked in and once it wore off I think where the needle had gone into my gums hurt worse than where they had done the root canal. And my mouth was a little sore but nothing to be afraid off.

Root Canal - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with root canal.
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?