Patient Comments: Root Canal - Procedures

How painful was your root canal procedure?

Comment from: Hazel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I had trauma to my 2front upper teeth on the 13th July, had root canal the following week painful procedure! Felt the pain even after.....4 injections got 2 more days after the procedure i can still feel the pain worse than before procedure, cant bite or put my teeth together.....hopefully it will get better in time :(

Comment from: suzyq61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had a root canal one week ago. I found it to be a painful procedure. Just giving the novocaine is bad enough. I read the entire article from this site. My dentist did not do any X-rays during my procedure nor used any type of microscope. The endodontist charged $1000 for less than 40 minutes of work, and the temporary filling fell out in three days. Make sure to thoroughly check out your dentist and have insurance. Good luck!

Comment from: Polishprincess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a root canal done today on a tooth which already had a cap on it but was also abscessed. The dentist said he was unable to locate two of the canals .what does he mean by that? Tonight I am in extreme pain. He gave me a script for hydrocodone and I am also on Clindomycin...ugh..he is a DMD and I hope he knows what he is doing.

Comment from: Root Man, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I had an infected tooth on Memorial Day, and the pain was excruciating. I couldn't eat, sleep, or drink. I went to the dentist the next morning and had to have a root canal on a “hot” tooth. After six shots of novocaine, the dentist went to work. The only pain I felt was the last part of the internal tooth cleaning, only because the novocaine didn't fully work, due to the infection. Three hours after the procedure, I was fully pain-free and eating dinner that same night.

Comment from: schotime, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a horrible experience. I was in and out of the dentist's office for eight weeks and never did get the root canal. By the time they were done trying to save one tooth, I had to have three removed. I never experienced so much pain in my life (and I have given birth twice). I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, it changed the look of my face because I got so swollen that when my hubby took me to the ER they thought he had beaten me. (Sort of funny now, but not then.) I got a horrible infection and had to have stiches up and down the inside gum lines. What a mess. Never again – just pull the tooth!

Comment from: (Patient) Published: November 21

I had sensitivity in a back lower molar. I went to my dentist for a scheduled cleaning/exam, which was done. Two days later, the same molar was painful. I called and the dentist started a root canal on the molar. Very painful experience, 6 shots of Novocaine required. A few more days went by and it was evident that I had an infection, so I was put on an antibiotic series for 10 days. I developed TMJ from all the manipulation of the visits. My tongue was numb and painful. I was told to wait 3 weeks. I went back to have the root canal finished up, and was put on another kind of antibiotic since I had not gotten rid of the pain. I am now taking narcotic pain relievers or Advil for it. Now, after nearly 8 days on the new antibiotic I still have a painful tooth. I can't chew on the tooth and I have a sore jaw bone below the tooth. I wish I had just gotten the tooth pulled, but it is a large molar. I never had so much trouble with root canals in the past.

Comment from: weiz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I had mine yesterday, I felt no pain during the procedure and afterwards was so surprised that I could eat only 2 hours after the procedure.

Comment from: cb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I just finished about an hour ago a root canal on my #18 lower, rear molar. The tooth had a vertical crack in it after several years of replacing fillings. It was very sensitive to hot/cold and pressure (biting down on a piece of bacon was like an electrical shock). The dentist said a RCT was inevitable. I knew the nerve was sensitive so he gave me two shots to start. All felt numb until he started drilling, then he hit that nerve - OUCH! He gave me another shot right in the canal itself. Same thing happened again when he tried drilling - so another shot. Waited ten minutes and then the remaining drilling of two other canals was fine. All the other cleaning and filling work was pain free. I think the first canal was infected so nerves were "hot." All in all, though, the previous two replacement fillings in the same tooth were a lot worse.

Root Canal - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with root canal.
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?