Patient Comments: Root Canal - Procedures

How painful was your root canal procedure?

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had a root canal through a crown. This is the worst pain I have ever had with any dental procedure. It's the 3rd day and it is excruciating. I cannot take much more.

Comment from: CaptArt, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

First root canal was actually 2, one in tooth 6 and one in 7. Both teeth needed posts. Entire procedure took about 90 minutes including drilling tooth 6 for 5 minutes and tooth 7 had calcified root which took 20 minutes to remove. Numbness wore off as I was leaving the dentist's office. I took 4 Advil followed 6 hours later by 2 more Advil. Two days later there's no pain, but gums were a little sore. This procedure was easier and less painful than a crown fitting.

Comment from: sweepea, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have had 3 root canals. The first was with a very elderly general dentist. I didn't feel anything but slight pressure. The second was with a resident endodontist at the local dental school. The nerve testing was extremely painful, but she immediately numbed the area. I didn't feel anything put pressure. After the tooth was finished she gave me ibuprofen. The third was with a student dentist at the same dental school. Again the nerve testing was very painful, but was numbed right away. I only felt pressure. The dental school procedures lasted about 3 hours each. The general dentist visit took about 1 hour.

Comment from: Frustrated, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

During the root canal, all was going fine, no pain, till the dentist stuck in rods with notches to measure tooth root length, which caused great pain and I had to be given more anesthesia. I'm guessing he pushed it in too far.

Comment from: barley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I worked 2nd shift so I scheduled my appointment for 10 am. The root canal procedure lasted 2 hours and it was tiring with an open mouth and painful. I now have a crown but my bite is off and needs adjusting. It is still sore the following day and I eat only on the opposite side. I had to call in sick to work the day of the root canal procedure. My lesson is to do this when you have a day or two off to allow time to recover.

Comment from: sunshine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

It took 3 hours and 45 minutes, and I had to be numbed 4 times, tears streaming uncontrollably down my face. Then to make it even worse the dentist hits my vein under my tooth and I had to have laser to stop my bleeding; mouth full of blood. I had to ask for more numbing because I was afraid of what that pain would have been like. Pain pill made me puke, I'm not going back there again.

Comment from: aearnest17266, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I went in last Wednesday for my first root canal. I was so nervous I went through the surgery part really well. It didn't hurt at all the next day a little pain by the third day bad pain. It is Monday now called the dentist went in and had him look at it because I have a huge bump on the gum and in major pain. He said it was because there was a bad infection and that it didn't drain much when he was doing the root canal. I am now going to be on meds for 2 weeks and he gave me pain pills that doesn't seem to be helping much.

Comment from: mountaingeezer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I"d had a root canal 30 years ago, silver point, which was uneventful, but that caused an infection just recently. I went to an endodontist who did a thorough evaluation, and did the procedure of extraction and re-packing 2 days ago. He was quite aggressive in needling the Novocain on the lower gum line in front (#23). The procedure went well, but the post-op pain has increased constantly despite being on penicillin, and taking Vicodin which can bring the pain score down from an 8.5 to a 5. Makes me wonder if some damage was done to a nerve. I will try for a follow up consult first thing tomorrow morning.

Root Canal - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with root canal.
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?