Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: Pfdteach1, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had felt as if something was starting to bother me in the upper left front part of my face, went to an oral surgeon and he sent me to dentist. He couldn"t find anything on x-rays, I waited 2 days and it worsened. I went back to the dentist, and part 1 of a root canal was done. Twenty four hours later I felt like my face was going to explode, I had deep pain and throbbing to no end. I wound up taking a Percocet that I had left over from a knee surgery, and I finally got to sleep. This is torture! I will be going back to the dentist tomorrow morning because today is Sunday, to get this fixed. I should have had the tooth pulled.

Comment from: hexxuss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Having had a root canal about 2 months ago, it"s very fresh in my memory. I had a very bad infection, and considering that I"ve only had 1 filling before (due to breaking a tooth in 1/2) this was all very new. I lost count after the 9th shot and they used every numbing agent in the office. I just toughed my way through the 1st part (pulpectomy) and antibiotic was put directly on to the infection and a temporary filling was put in. After the antibiotics were done, was the root canal. I had very painful shots, about 5 or 6. I didn"t feel a thing during the procedure. However, 12 hours later, and for the next 3 days, I felt like I got hit in the face with a sledgehammer. Never again! Bad tooth? Tough - tear it out, because that is never happening a second time.

Comment from: Dawgfan165, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had a crowned molar that had been crowned many years back. The crown came off due to some decay underneath. The dentist cleaned out the tooth and re-crowned it. Fast forward about 3 months. I started having pain in the molar, constant throbbing. Went to an oral surgeon who x-rayed it and saw an abscess at the bottom of the tooth. I went to an endodontist the next day. He drilled through the crown, did the root canal and put in a temporary filling. He told me to see my dentist to get it filled. About 3 days later, I ended up in the hospital with a raging infection in my jaw and face. I was in the hospital for 5 days, IVs of morphine, antibiotics, muscle relaxers and steroids because my jaw locked up. Part of my gum died which took about 2 months for my jaw to heal. I should be going next week to get the temporary tooth filled. What a pain!

Comment from: wyominboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I"ve had 2 root canals on both a primary and a secondary molar. It was not a pleasant experience by any means and if I had it to do over I probably would have simply had the teeth extracted. I had nothing but problems with both teeth after the root canal procedure and had to go back for more surgery. Both molars never felt normal again and both were very sensitive after the procedures. There was always a lingering pain when chewing on those teeth. The life of one molar after root canal was about 5 years and the other was about 2 years before they eventually became re-infected and had to be extracted. I"ll have to admit that I only brush my teeth once per day and hardly ever floss, so my dental hygiene is not the best. Anyway that was my experience for what it"s worth. At my age, I would never have another root canal (I"m 58), I would simply have the tooth extracted at that point.

Comment from: pm28486, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had a root canal done today; worst experience. I hate everything about going to the dentist and watching a video of how the procedure is done the night before probably wasn't a good idea as well. I had an anesthetic shot 7 times during my 3 hour procedure, because I kept on feeling the pain. Also seeing the tools my dentist was working with and the smell/sound had me going crazy. After taking 5 ibuprofens and 1pill of codeine I can say the pain is slowly getting better. Hope no one else experiences what I did.

Comment from: JennyLove, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

My root canal experience: felt like a filling. No pain, just a long and exhausting procedure. I just did it (4/9/14), and my second appointment is in 4 days.

Comment from: PHANSEN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have a bad taste in my mouth because of root canal, and puffy eye.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?