Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: cheekycub, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had my first ever root canal today and I can honestly say it will also be my last. I was warned by the dentist that I may feel pain for a second or two while she was pulling the nerve. Ok, felt that and she said the rest is boring procedure. So that was ok, until it came to packing the tooth. She used whatever instruments they use to push down into the tooth and I screamed every time even though she said it "shouldn't hurt"... yeah, easy for you to say, you aren't the one with it being done. Then when it came time for the cement, that was in one word excruciating, and every time she pushed cement down I was screaming with the pain shooting up through my gums into my face. Apparently I had lots of anesthetic and shouldn't have felt any pain during that part of the procedure but it was the most pain I have ever felt in my life. Needless to say I will never repeat that experience at a dentist office and the only way I'd get one done in the future is through an endodontic specialist and only if they put me to sleep. I might add this was not my regular dentist and I will not be getting anything else done by this doctor.

Comment from: Entropy666, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had my first root canal about two weeks ago. It was not infected but a very inflamed root. I had pain immediately after, while still numb. I took a Percocet and was fine the next day. The tooth remained sensitive and I just had the crown on today. I am already feeling pain while still numb and just took another Percocet. I don"t know how long it will take this tooth to settle down. The molar next to it also had pain but I opted to wait and pull it if it doesn"t settle down. I will never have another root canal. I will pull the tooth before going through this again.

Comment from: randy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I went in for a root canal and a crown, after about 3 hours into it, the doctor suggested I either extract the tooth or go to an oral surgeon. After being told it was $54 dollars to extract or 2K for the surgeon, I extracted the tooth, got infected and went through 3 rounds of antibiotics. For over a month I felt like a bus had hit me, was told to just take over-the-counter pain medicines, which did nothing. After a month and a half I went back for my bridge, spent another 3 hours on the chair, the dentist was grinding on my other teeth to try and make it fit, ended up not fitting and was told the adjacent tooth needed a root canal. After all the grinding to shape it for the bridge they hit the nerve. As of now I am going to get a second opinion before letting them do another root canal, I'm already out by about $800; my company pays with insurance.

Comment from: WOW!!, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had a root canal done on one tooth years ago. After the procedure I felt great and hardly had any pain. This time I had extreme pain on one of my molars and went to the dentist. I needed a root canal. Well, let me tell you after the root canal was done and the Novocain wore off I was in so much pain I almost went to the emergency room. Cannot even explain the pain it hurt so badly! My suggestion to someone who has sudden problems with teeth, get it fixed immediately! Do not wait! All of my pain was due to not getting my tooth fixed 2 years ago. I will never wait again! This has been more pain than giving birth to my 3 children, seriously!

Comment from: Pfdteach1, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had felt as if something was starting to bother me in the upper left front part of my face, went to an oral surgeon and he sent me to dentist. He couldn"t find anything on x-rays, I waited 2 days and it worsened. I went back to the dentist, and part 1 of a root canal was done. Twenty four hours later I felt like my face was going to explode, I had deep pain and throbbing to no end. I wound up taking a Percocet that I had left over from a knee surgery, and I finally got to sleep. This is torture! I will be going back to the dentist tomorrow morning because today is Sunday, to get this fixed. I should have had the tooth pulled.

Comment from: JennyLove, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

My root canal experience: felt like a filling. No pain, just a long and exhausting procedure. I just did it (4/9/14), and my second appointment is in 4 days.

Comment from: hexxuss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Having had a root canal about 2 months ago, it"s very fresh in my memory. I had a very bad infection, and considering that I"ve only had 1 filling before (due to breaking a tooth in 1/2) this was all very new. I lost count after the 9th shot and they used every numbing agent in the office. I just toughed my way through the 1st part (pulpectomy) and antibiotic was put directly on to the infection and a temporary filling was put in. After the antibiotics were done, was the root canal. I had very painful shots, about 5 or 6. I didn"t feel a thing during the procedure. However, 12 hours later, and for the next 3 days, I felt like I got hit in the face with a sledgehammer. Never again! Bad tooth? Tough - tear it out, because that is never happening a second time.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?