Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: rabeel, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I just had a root canal, this was a very old infection in front tooth. It cost me 2350 AED and 3 visits. The procedure was not painful but the infection was really bad and once it started swelling it was agony, and no pain killer worked at all. The antibiotic which I took was amoxicillin 1000. The first painkiller was Brufen which did not work at all, and the new one was diclofenac potassium which could control the pain for only 3 hours, and then again it became terrible. Dental pain is something you cannot do anything about; even local anesthesia will work for 4 hours and then the same again. The root was cleared, and then refilled again and tooth was restored but my dentist suggested to take a crown on the tooth. I will go back to Pakistan and then will see what I can afford.

Comment from: Chuck, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I had my first root canal in 06/2015. The procedure itself was not painful at all but after the Novocain wore off the pain started. I'm taking antibiotics for the infection I was told I had. I can't even close my mouth tooth to tooth and I don't know how long this pain is going to last.

Comment from: Cheryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a root canal done through my crown. They drilled a little bitty hole through crown and did the canal. I have had pain in that tooth since that day. Actually my tooth does not hurt but my gums and up to jaw bone are very sensitive. I went back and they say nothing is wrong with it. I know that I am going to lose this tooth. Like everybody says, I wish they would have pulled the tooth from the start, but of course the dentist discourages this because they would not make any money on a tooth that isn't there.

Comment from: Moggy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

To add to my opinion on this, I recently had a root canal done on a lower first molar. I chose my dentist carefully, he also works as a mouth surgeon. Experience is key. I was thoroughly anaesthetized (locally) and the entire procedure was carried out painlessly in 80 minutes. Three canals widened, cleaned, filled and then sealed with a permanent filling on top. I have a little bit of soreness (2nd day after) but it seems to be going.

Comment from: crosscheck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a root canal done 6 days ago. It was done on a Thursday. On Friday I had a little swelling. By Saturday the whole right side of my face had swelled up and the pain was unbearable. Since it was the weekend I went to the emergency room. They prescribed be some antibiotics and some pain medication. It is now Wednesday and I am still in pain. The swelling is limited to an area above the tooth and below the eye. It does not seem to be getting any better or worse. Hoping it gets better soon because the pain medications are not doing much.

Comment from: uchiro, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I had a root canal 4 years ago and I have just read that 97 percent diagnosed with cancer have had root canal. I don't know if this is true but last year, I felt the pain in my tooth with root canal, after a month I felt a numbness in my forehead, next to that I got tinnitus, arthritis, and I feel pain in my liver and strong blood flow in my kidney. I went to the doctor, everything is fine, but I could feel I have problems. I just keep my body active and am eating healthy foods to fight bacteria in my blood stream.

Comment from: atlbeachgal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I think the only people that post here had a negative experience. So I thought I would write a good one. Was it the most pleasant thing; no. Was it painful; no. I had my root canal yesterday 3/23/15. I took 3 mg of Xanax going in so I was very relaxed. The doctor took a lot of time numbing me and making super sure I was super numb. I had my earbuds in with music blaring so I wouldn't hear the drilling. I had no pain whatsoever. I went home and slept and when I woke up 6 hours later there was some tenderness around my gums, but no tooth pain. Please note I am terrified of dentists so this wasn't easy for me. I cried at the thought of it, I teared up while I was in the dentist's office, but I did it and I saved a tooth.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?