Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: woodstockrags, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

After going to the dentist for over a month for 1 small cavity, I ended up going 9 times and calling many more. I had the first filling removed and refilled using a white filling instead of silver. They wanted to do the others and I said not if I don't have to. I was still in pain, so they tried to do a filling in the tooth in front of it. They noticed I felt pain where I shouldn't have. I was in even worse pain, so they did the tooth behind it. I disagreed with it and them, saying that that isn't where the pain was, but they said let's get the first of the 2 pains fixed first, so we refilled the 3rd filling. I came back after each having to have them filed down even more. I about shot across the room when they worked on the 2nd tooth. So I would have said something was wrong with that tooth. I went back in saying I was in even more pain so they went in after 3 plus weeks of pain and they told me I had to have a root canal and that they did a partial one on it that day. It was a Thursday. I asked if I needed an antibiotic and they said no, it is infected but it will be fine. Monday morning 4:00 am I was screaming in pain as I tried sitting up in bed. I called and they said they will get me some antibiotics and to continue on the ibuprofen and Tylenol regimen. Thursday I was to have my root canal. He gave me the Novocain and asked me if I could feel my lips and I could; asked if anything was tingly, nope. After 3 1/2 hours, blacking out from feeling all of the pain, and him going to help other patients, I was done and in severe pain. I asked for something, and he said Advil and Tylenol regimen will be just fine. After an un-prescribed pain killer that knocks out migraines, and 2 trips to the emergency room (ER) I could finally talk without bawling and begging for pain relief. Two days later I had to go to ER for pain again even though I was on oxycodone. Infection felt like it was going to the brain. I am sitting at 10 days after the procedure still on pain killers, and was on Advil up to today. My stomach couldn't handle almost 400 medicines in a little over a month's time. I have diarrhea, a bad stomach ache and I still hurt in the mouth. I can't chew on that side, and anything in the mouth hurts. I went in 1 time for it to fit the bite; they might have done a root canal on the wrong tooth!

Comment from: dede, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

My root canal was on tooth number 30, the right back lower molar. I was referred to an endodontist since I had a filing and a crown on top of a cracked tooth. My dentist felt like it was worth saving, but for about USD 2,000! The endodontist's nitrous oxygen machine was broke so I had 3 painful shots before the procedure and 2 during. I still felt a lot of pressure and pulling. Now I have to go back. I wish I had it pulled, against the advice of 2 dentists. It was too much pain and expense, and 12 hours later, it's still hurting even after taking double hydrocodone tablets for a knee replacement.

Comment from: ginny morris r., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had root canal on two front teeth a year ago that have not stopped hurting despite being opened and redone several times. Dental specialists (3 of them) say it is neuralgia and pain control is treatment plan, but after a year of believing this I still can't touch two teeth that are supposed to have dead nerves in them! The same thing happened to my first ever root canal and I had it pulled and all pain stopped. I will never have another root canal done, and almost everyone I have talked to who have had them eventually lose the tooth anyway. I know I need to have these 2 teeth pulled but with the 'experts' saying there is nothing wrong with the teeth it is so hard to do it. But my guy says the pain will go away once the teeth are gone. Root canals are just a money maker for dentists.

Comment from: rabeel, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I just had a root canal, this was a very old infection in front tooth. It cost me 2350 AED and 3 visits. The procedure was not painful but the infection was really bad and once it started swelling it was agony, and no pain killer worked at all. The antibiotic which I took was amoxicillin 1000. The first painkiller was Brufen which did not work at all, and the new one was diclofenac potassium which could control the pain for only 3 hours, and then again it became terrible. Dental pain is something you cannot do anything about; even local anesthesia will work for 4 hours and then the same again. The root was cleared, and then refilled again and tooth was restored but my dentist suggested to take a crown on the tooth. I will go back to Pakistan and then will see what I can afford.

Comment from: Chuck, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I had my first root canal in 06/2015. The procedure itself was not painful at all but after the Novocain wore off the pain started. I'm taking antibiotics for the infection I was told I had. I can't even close my mouth tooth to tooth and I don't know how long this pain is going to last.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?