Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: Susan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

This root canal procedure is extremely painful. Don't let anyone tell you it is not. Novocain does not stop the pain. I have had two children with no drugs and one bone that remained unset for two days. Root canal is far worse.

Comment from: Good experience, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had a root canal just yesterday and I have minimal pain. I take Tylenol 3 twice a day and another medicine, every 8 hours for pain before it hurts, and an antibiotic. It has been good so far but I got it done in Mexico. I did not feel a thing, for just $200 dollars. Guess I was just lucky.

Comment from: TickedNHighlyConned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

All I wanted was an extraction ($400). I was pushed into a root canal ($2200) on one tooth. I had severe pain, long wait, and confusion. I'll be glad to get all my teeth out. Whether mini-implants or dentures, it seems as if anything would be better than a root canal again. And I still have to go back for 2 more appointments before the whole process is done!

Comment from: Kask, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

Prior to my date with the dentist, I was very apprehensive as I had read many root canal horror stories on this site. The first procedure however was not a big deal, 30 minutes and I was done. I was stunned. I thought it would take long. I've been booked for two more appointments so not sure what the future holds.

Comment from: JennyLove, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

My root canal experience: felt like a filling. No pain, just a long and exhausting procedure. I just did it (4/9/14), and my second appointment is in 4 days.

Comment from: Martin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I had my 1st root canal 3 days ago, and I still have pain, and I'm still taking Vicodin, naproxen, and now ibuprofen for the pain. Friend recently had one, he says he had pain for maybe 2 days, and all he took was ibuprofen, that's it. I'm to the point of just having the tooth pulled.

Comment from: Espamarina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Whilst in Spain for three months, I had such painful toothache along my upper and lower left jaw that I had to find a dentist. He took an x-ray which revealed an infected nerve. He gave me antibiotics and I returned five days later for root canal treatment. He was very careful and there was little pain which he controlled with anesthesia. I returned again five days later for a permanent filling. Two days from then, everything feels fine.

Comment from: chidz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

My dentist told me that in order to save my lower molar, it had to undergo through the process of root canal. Though I didn't have any idea of what I was all about I agreed. I was really desperate in saving my molar that I went for it for 4 thousand pesos. (it's supposed to be 5k, but since she's been my dentist for years, she reduced the charge). Now, I already had 7 sessions. A temporary pasta was put this morning. She told me that she will already close it permanently after 6 days. Now, I am just wondering why she didn't remove any nerve in my molar. She just cleaned it with oxygenated water. It had puss so she said that injecting oxygenated water will remove it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I just had my first root canal done today on a molar (#15) and I am in a lot of pain, the procedure was not that bad compare to the pain afterwards, I asked the doctor to prescribe me something strong and he said I would not need it, well he was wrong. On top of that I did not research enough before seeing him, and surprise, I have to see a different dentist to install the crown which will cost me in the neighborhood of $450 to $ 500 besides the $600 I paid for the root canal. I am disgusted to say the least, I advised anyone who is going to need this done to do your homework and avoid going to 3 different dentists and paying almost $2,000 for a procedure that it is both painful and long.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?