Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

Three days ago I had my fourth root canal. The procedure was no problem. It lasted about an hour and I felt no pain during it. However the next day is when the pain set in. For me my mouth hurts around the tooth for four to five days after no matter how easy the procedure was. Tylenol and Hydrocodone every few hours, so that I can eat and go to work. I can feel that the pain is not so bad a few days later and in a few days I will probably never have a problem with the tooth again.

Comment from: vthompsontx, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I woke up with a toothache and immediately went to the dentist. He indicated that I needed a root canal. Like most people, I was very apprehensive. However, the procedure was painless. My mouth was numbed before the Novocaine injection. I was given some gas, a headset for the TV and an hour later it was over. Overall, a great experience for something that I had always heard horror stories about.

Comment from: hannah, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

Root canal treatment is done when there is no chance of tooth to being saved, and the patient doesn't want it to be extracted although decayed. It is done to kill the vitality of the tooth and then filling it with mechanical components, and placing a cap over it. The procedure involves the removal of the nervous elements of the tooth which have been infected or decayed already due to microbial action or any physical pressures.

Comment from: grandpa74, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 08

I had a root canal in years ago and all of the nerves were supposedly removed. Now 11 years later an x ray revealed one nerve was missed and is now causing me pain and infection which is going upward toward my eye and eyeball is sore. It was tooth number l4. Should I again have to pay the exorbitant cost of the root canal or should the endodontist absorb this because of failure to remove the nerve the first time?

Comment from: Debbie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I had a root canal last August. Three cycles of antibiotics later, I thought it was over. However, today that same tooth broke and is causing a lot of pain.

Comment from: southerngirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had to have a root canal on my front tooth. It was the worst pain I have ever had in my life. The dentist had to open the tooth back up 3 times before it finally stopped hurting. Hydrocodone wouldn't even touch the pain. Turns out I was grinding on it, so he had to make me a splint to wear at night. If you are a grinder, make sure you have a splint if you get a root canal because you DO NOT want to grind on it.

Comment from: Huntress, Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had a root canal 6 days ago and I am waiting to get the crown. Virtually zero pain during and after the procedure. At worst I had slight jaw soreness from having to keep my mouth open for so long. I was able to resume normal activities immediately without skipping a beat. In all honesty, if you need a root canal, it's no big deal don't worry and don't fear it. I almost fell asleep in the chair during it, it was that painless (and no, I wasn't sedated I just had Novocaine to numb the tooth).

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?