Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: HAPPYGAL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had my first (and last ever) root canal done a few days ago. It was a bottom front tooth. I wish they had just pulled it out! After the Novocain wore off I felt like my entire lower jaw had been hit by a baseball bat! My chin was swollen up, throbbing, and extremely sore to the touch. The dentist was off the 3 days (this was on a Thursday) but thank goodness I had an emergency number. So she called in some Vicodin and antibiotics for me. For the next 3 days I was immobile and couldn't eat. I had always heard rumors about root canals but honestly thought it was all just hype. But I will never, ever get another one done!

Comment from: nobiggie, 45-54 (Patient) Published: July 11

I've had four root canals, one on my front tooth today. Three were molars and done by an oral surgeon while I was anesthetized and this one done by a very experienced dentist at his office. I was careful to clean my teeth well and use mouthwash before seeking dental care and made sure I did not have any active infections that needed antibiotics. The canal today was large and I had some pain in my nose, but more irritating than painful and it's going away. Being sure you have a good dentist is critical. The worst dental care I ever got was while I had dental insurance. Seek out good dentists. Look for things like years of experience, mine was a navy dentist and terrific and reasonably priced. I'm so glad I saved my teeth. My crowns are over twenty years old and still not leaking. They are porcelain. Pulling teeth can just cause to lose bone instead of teeth and screw up all your teeth.

Comment from: Pam, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had my first root canal today on a lateral incisor, I'd heard so many horror stories about root canals and was stressed out of my mind and it honestly was painless. Time went by fast, my dentist did an amazing job and the staff was wonderful. Once he froze me, time flew by and there was no pain at all!

Comment from: cheekycub, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had my first ever root canal today and I can honestly say it will also be my last. I was warned by the dentist that I may feel pain for a second or two while she was pulling the nerve. Ok, felt that and she said the rest is boring procedure. So that was ok, until it came to packing the tooth. She used whatever instruments they use to push down into the tooth and I screamed every time even though she said it "shouldn't hurt"... yeah, easy for you to say, you aren't the one with it being done. Then when it came time for the cement, that was in one word excruciating, and every time she pushed cement down I was screaming with the pain shooting up through my gums into my face. Apparently I had lots of anesthetic and shouldn't have felt any pain during that part of the procedure but it was the most pain I have ever felt in my life. Needless to say I will never repeat that experience at a dentist office and the only way I'd get one done in the future is through an endodontic specialist and only if they put me to sleep. I might add this was not my regular dentist and I will not be getting anything else done by this doctor.

Comment from: Entropy666, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had my first root canal about two weeks ago. It was not infected but a very inflamed root. I had pain immediately after, while still numb. I took a Percocet and was fine the next day. The tooth remained sensitive and I just had the crown on today. I am already feeling pain while still numb and just took another Percocet. I don"t know how long it will take this tooth to settle down. The molar next to it also had pain but I opted to wait and pull it if it doesn"t settle down. I will never have another root canal. I will pull the tooth before going through this again.

Comment from: randy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I went in for a root canal and a crown, after about 3 hours into it, the doctor suggested I either extract the tooth or go to an oral surgeon. After being told it was $54 dollars to extract or 2K for the surgeon, I extracted the tooth, got infected and went through 3 rounds of antibiotics. For over a month I felt like a bus had hit me, was told to just take over-the-counter pain medicines, which did nothing. After a month and a half I went back for my bridge, spent another 3 hours on the chair, the dentist was grinding on my other teeth to try and make it fit, ended up not fitting and was told the adjacent tooth needed a root canal. After all the grinding to shape it for the bridge they hit the nerve. As of now I am going to get a second opinion before letting them do another root canal, I'm already out by about $800; my company pays with insurance.

Comment from: WOW!!, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had a root canal done on one tooth years ago. After the procedure I felt great and hardly had any pain. This time I had extreme pain on one of my molars and went to the dentist. I needed a root canal. Well, let me tell you after the root canal was done and the Novocain wore off I was in so much pain I almost went to the emergency room. Cannot even explain the pain it hurt so badly! My suggestion to someone who has sudden problems with teeth, get it fixed immediately! Do not wait! All of my pain was due to not getting my tooth fixed 2 years ago. I will never wait again! This has been more pain than giving birth to my 3 children, seriously!

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?