Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: pm28486, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had a root canal done today; worst experience. I hate everything about going to the dentist and watching a video of how the procedure is done the night before probably wasn't a good idea as well. I had an anesthetic shot 7 times during my 3 hour procedure, because I kept on feeling the pain. Also seeing the tools my dentist was working with and the smell/sound had me going crazy. After taking 5 ibuprofens and 1pill of codeine I can say the pain is slowly getting better. Hope no one else experiences what I did.

Comment from: anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had my 3rd root canal over 9 days ago on a back molar. After 3 days the pain just got worse daily. I took 3 Advil every 3 hours. The doctor then prescribed a stronger medicine with codeine. It still hurts terribly. He just prescribed an antibiotic. I am thinking I should have had that in the first place. I'm ready to pull this tooth if I don't get relief soon. It flares up every time I eat or drink and I haven't chewed on that side in over a week. I'm not happy.

Comment from: Ttonyjan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

A 2nd root in tooth was found while having root canal. So it required a lot more time to remove the root. It was very painful after the procedure. I am now 2 days post root canal, pain has eased up, but still have swelling. The swelling has eased up but now I found new swelling on my neck just below where root canal was done. I will call the doctor this morning and see what he has to say.

Comment from: Mrs Hurt, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 15

The molar root canal I had a few days ago and also apparently an abscess treated is now painful even with pain killers. There is a residue of pain in my tongue and jaw. The procedure was fine and afterward, things seemed normal. I haven't slept much due to pain and medication doses. I have had only juices and soft foods and now antibiotics and pain killers do not seem to be working.

Comment from: Jane, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I just had my first root canal today on a lower molar. The tooth had been sensitive to heat, cold, and pressure for a long time. I had a crack also. I found that the rubber mouth guard helped a lot in keeping my mouth open, so it didn't take much effort. The worst part was the nervousness at the beginning -- mostly for nothing -- and the needles, not because they were painful, but because I needed four of them to get my tooth numb enough to work on. At the very beginning of the drilling, I felt a tiny little bit of pain, but it quickly went away. The dentist said, “From here on, it's just boring,” and he was right. The drilling, filing, and cleaning had to be repeated over and over, and it did take a lot of time. After the canals were all cleaned out, he took another X-ray and said it had come out alright. Then he filled each canal with filling material and used what he called a "warm instrument" that made stinky smoke and sealed the material. The entire left side of my mouth, tongue, and lips were more numb than they'd ever felt in my life, but otherwise I felt fine. I came home and was able to eat dinner, chewing on one side. Now, three hours and 400 mg of ibuprofen later, I am feeling comfortable. I have no soreness or jaw pain, just a little tenderness around the tooth area itself, which he told me to expect for a few days. All in all, this was not as bad as I thought it was going to be!

Comment from: Nailsbyd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I had a root canal done one month ago. Two days ago I stated feeling some throbbing in it, today it is so bad I am in tears.

Comment from: LeanForward, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I got my first and hopefully my last root canal this week. The pain hit a few hours after the anesthesia wore off and I have been in pain for the past two days. The endodontist only killed two of the three roots, so I have to go back in three weeks for the second procedure! Everybody I know who had root canals, said it would be a breeze; not true!

Comment from: realestatediva, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I just had a root canal done. It was painless during the procedure and during the injections to deaden the area. The dentist, who was a specialist, was simply terrific. He only does this type of work and my regular dentist handled the procedure for putting on a crown to my right lateral tooth. No pain for either procedure. I think this depends on the dentist you choose. I only go to the best and that is what I got. Great experience.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?