Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: pm2006, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had a root canal performed two years ago, and the crown that was placed was not a correct size (according to my new dentist), and there was a gap left at the upper portion near the gum area where food particles were getting in and therefore got re-infected. My new dentist tried clearing out the canal, but he could not clear canal completely. I was referred to an endodontist, which cleared out one area of the canal, but apparently there was another area, so I had to go in a second time. The day before my appointment, my gum was hurting and felt sore. I went in to see the endodontist to complete the root canal (said this was normal since root canal was not complete). After the root canal was done and the anesthesia wore off, I was in pain! I took four ibuprofens and 1 Vicodin (500mg). My cheek has since swollen, and my gum is very sensitive to touch, even from outside.

Comment from: donnadee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had a root canal performed on Feb. 20. It was not my first experience, and I have had pain since, which is strange because I didn't have much pain before, just sensitivity to cold and heat. Now, the permanent crown has been put on with temporary cement because the tooth has remained very sensitive. Now it is mid-April, and it is more sensitive to heat, cold and pressure than ever before. My dentist wanted me to wait six weeks after the permanent crown had been put on, which was March 19.

Comment from: molar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I have had three root canals in three years. The most recent one was yesterday. The procedure was no problem at all, although it took 70 minuets in the chair. There was no pain at all. My mouth is sore today, but the tooth was infected, so this is to be expected. The good news is that my dentist saved the tooth. I would highly recommend a root canal to an extraction. One negative point is that they are very expensive, so I hope you have insurance.

Comment from: Rileysgirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

About five days ago, I noticed a lot of pain in my last molar on the left side of my face. The pain was searing across the lower part of my jaw and into most of my teeth. My dentist prescribed antibiotics and said he'd see me in a few days. I knew I was going to need a root canal. As of today, I've had the first few steps done. It didn't hurt as much as I thought, and when I did feel a twinge of pain, I was given more medicine. I'm still fairly numb almost two hours later. I am hoping for the best. If you can save your tooth, I'd recommend it.

Comment from: imabigbaby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had a root canal performed yesterday afternoon on a molar. I had been having sensitivity to heat and cold for months. It is a miracle. My docotr stated before he began that I should feel no pain and he was right. I felt absolutely zero pain during the entire procedure which lasted about 45 minutes. I was so nervous before the procedure and now I feel dumb. The painful part was paying for it!

Comment from: pinti, 3-6 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

My 5 year old son had a root canal done on his pre-molar on Friday. It's been 1 week and he still complains of soreness. The pain does not keep him up at night, but when he is awake he complains. We took him to the dentist and he asked us to downplay it. Does anyone know how long it takes for the soreness to go away.

Comment from: Hildoo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I had a partial rood canal that lasted about two hours with pain and numbness during the procedure. I was told to come the next ten days for another treatment. I was given antibiotics and pain medication to ease the pain whenever I feel it. It has been more than 24 hours since the procedure. The pain medication can not ease the pain anymore and my left jaw has stayed swollen. Very painful.

Comment from: tony f, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

This is not my first root canal but certainly the most painful pressure built up for two days causing sleepless nights my cheek swelled tremendously. I returned to the dentist opened tooth to aid in draining it. It seems to be improving greatly after ice packs Tylenol, salt water gargle. My infection I believe was more involving the bone.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?