Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: Rileysgirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

About five days ago, I noticed a lot of pain in my last molar on the left side of my face. The pain was searing across the lower part of my jaw and into most of my teeth. My dentist prescribed antibiotics and said he'd see me in a few days. I knew I was going to need a root canal. As of today, I've had the first few steps done. It didn't hurt as much as I thought, and when I did feel a twinge of pain, I was given more medicine. I'm still fairly numb almost two hours later. I am hoping for the best. If you can save your tooth, I'd recommend it.

Comment from: imabigbaby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had a root canal performed yesterday afternoon on a molar. I had been having sensitivity to heat and cold for months. It is a miracle. My docotr stated before he began that I should feel no pain and he was right. I felt absolutely zero pain during the entire procedure which lasted about 45 minutes. I was so nervous before the procedure and now I feel dumb. The painful part was paying for it!

Comment from: pinti, 3-6 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

My 5 year old son had a root canal done on his pre-molar on Friday. It's been 1 week and he still complains of soreness. The pain does not keep him up at night, but when he is awake he complains. We took him to the dentist and he asked us to downplay it. Does anyone know how long it takes for the soreness to go away.

Comment from: Hildoo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I had a partial rood canal that lasted about two hours with pain and numbness during the procedure. I was told to come the next ten days for another treatment. I was given antibiotics and pain medication to ease the pain whenever I feel it. It has been more than 24 hours since the procedure. The pain medication can not ease the pain anymore and my left jaw has stayed swollen. Very painful.

Comment from: tony f, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

This is not my first root canal but certainly the most painful pressure built up for two days causing sleepless nights my cheek swelled tremendously. I returned to the dentist opened tooth to aid in draining it. It seems to be improving greatly after ice packs Tylenol, salt water gargle. My infection I believe was more involving the bone.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

Three days ago I had my fourth root canal. The procedure was no problem. It lasted about an hour and I felt no pain during it. However the next day is when the pain set in. For me my mouth hurts around the tooth for four to five days after no matter how easy the procedure was. Tylenol and Hydrocodone every few hours, so that I can eat and go to work. I can feel that the pain is not so bad a few days later and in a few days I will probably never have a problem with the tooth again.

Comment from: vthompsontx, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I woke up with a toothache and immediately went to the dentist. He indicated that I needed a root canal. Like most people, I was very apprehensive. However, the procedure was painless. My mouth was numbed before the Novocaine injection. I was given some gas, a headset for the TV and an hour later it was over. Overall, a great experience for something that I had always heard horror stories about.

Comment from: hannah, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

Root canal treatment is done when there is no chance of tooth to being saved, and the patient doesn't want it to be extracted although decayed. It is done to kill the vitality of the tooth and then filling it with mechanical components, and placing a cap over it. The procedure involves the removal of the nervous elements of the tooth which have been infected or decayed already due to microbial action or any physical pressures.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?