Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Published: May 08

I had a partial root canal it took about an hour, I went back to finish it on 4/27 it took 3 hours of shoving metal in and out of my tooth, warm tool that he heated up, he said that it looks like a wet noodle coming out of a straw. He took x-rays 3 times on my left molar, then I was told that I would be getting another partial and would have to come back on 5/9. The numbing lasted about 3 hours after the partial procedure, but once the numbing went away, my tooth started throbbing. The gums around the tooth hurts. It felt as if I were to put the tiniest bit of pressure on that tooth my gums were going to EXPLODE. 2 and a half days later my mouth is swollen, all along the left side of my jaw aches, Tylenol works for about an hour and then you are up out of bed in the middle of the night wanting more Tylenol. AHHHH hopefully when I get my actual root canal done which they said won't last as long as it did (3 hrs.). It won't hurt like it does now. I do not like root canals and I don't have a problem with dentists either. R.C. just suck and so do the after effects.

Comment from: blueangel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had my first root canal a few days ago from an endo diplomat in Concord, CA. I am new to CA and I was referred to him by a regular DDS after my jaw swelled near my mouth (no pain or infection, just swelling) when she drilled a molar in prep for a crown. The endo conned me into believing that the swelling was due to 2 other teeth that needed "emergency root canals immediately." It later became obvious that the swelling was simply due to the initial DDS hitting a blood vessel with her injection as a huge bruise appeared on my jaw a few days later and the swelling subsided. Ultimately, the endo did one unnecessary root canal on a molar, threw in a temp filling, charged me almost $1300 and referred me back to the initial DDS for a filling and crown.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had heard horror stories of root canals, so I discussed them with my dentist. He said they were no problem. I was not nervous; I tolerant pain well. I had the root canal five days ago, and when the Novocain wore off, I was in pure agony. Taking Extra Strength Tylenol did not help. The next day was somewhat better, but I was eating Tylenol like candy. It was a miserable experience.

Comment from: PHANSEN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have a bad taste in my mouth because of root canal, and puffy eye.

Comment from: Nicole, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I just had a root canal on a lower bicuspid today. I didn't expect the horror stories about the pain to be true, especially since my tolerance for pain is abnormally high. I cried the entire time. About halfway through the procedure I could feel everything, either because the numbing medication had worn off or because of an unexpected infection in the tooth. If I ever need another root canal, I'm opting to have the tooth pulled.

Comment from: ruth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

l have never felt pain like this before my mouth would not go numb and l continued to tell the dentist that but all she told me to do was relax. l hope l never need a root canal again.

Comment from: katief, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I've just had my first root canal and was apprehensive about having it done. Apart from the discomfort of having to keep your jaw open longer than for a normal check-up, I felt absolutely nothing as the local anesthetic was so good. It's certainly better than being in pain!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I've had many root canals and had problems with only one; the dentist didn't know what he was doing. If you have an abscess, be sure you get an antibiotic to get rid of the infection before they work on it. A good dentist will know when the tooth is beyond his capabilities and should then refer you to an endodontist. With the exception of the one, I've never even had to take pain meds afterward. Be sure you are seeing a good and honest dentist because there are many who will convince you that you need lots of unnecessary work done and will also bill you wrong too! Ask around and be sure to pick a dentist that someone recommends that has actually had procedures other than cleaning and X-rays. Without procedures their recommendations are basically useless and they will most likely describe them as nice or say they liked them instead of telling you about procedures and how gentle and painless the dentist is. I learned this the hard way.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?