Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: randy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I went in for a root canal and a crown, after about 3 hours into it, the doctor suggested I either extract the tooth or go to an oral surgeon. After being told it was $54 dollars to extract or 2K for the surgeon, I extracted the tooth, got infected and went through 3 rounds of antibiotics. For over a month I felt like a bus had hit me, was told to just take over-the-counter pain medicines, which did nothing. After a month and a half I went back for my bridge, spent another 3 hours on the chair, the dentist was grinding on my other teeth to try and make it fit, ended up not fitting and was told the adjacent tooth needed a root canal. After all the grinding to shape it for the bridge they hit the nerve. As of now I am going to get a second opinion before letting them do another root canal, I'm already out by about $800; my company pays with insurance.

Comment from: WOW!!, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have had a root canal done on one tooth years ago. After the procedure I felt great and hardly had any pain. This time I had extreme pain on one of my molars and went to the dentist. I needed a root canal. Well, let me tell you after the root canal was done and the Novocain wore off I was in so much pain I almost went to the emergency room. Cannot even explain the pain it hurt so badly! My suggestion to someone who has sudden problems with teeth, get it fixed immediately! Do not wait! All of my pain was due to not getting my tooth fixed 2 years ago. I will never wait again! This has been more pain than giving birth to my 3 children, seriously!

Comment from: Pfdteach1, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had felt as if something was starting to bother me in the upper left front part of my face, went to an oral surgeon and he sent me to dentist. He couldn"t find anything on x-rays, I waited 2 days and it worsened. I went back to the dentist, and part 1 of a root canal was done. Twenty four hours later I felt like my face was going to explode, I had deep pain and throbbing to no end. I wound up taking a Percocet that I had left over from a knee surgery, and I finally got to sleep. This is torture! I will be going back to the dentist tomorrow morning because today is Sunday, to get this fixed. I should have had the tooth pulled.

Comment from: hexxuss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Having had a root canal about 2 months ago, it"s very fresh in my memory. I had a very bad infection, and considering that I"ve only had 1 filling before (due to breaking a tooth in 1/2) this was all very new. I lost count after the 9th shot and they used every numbing agent in the office. I just toughed my way through the 1st part (pulpectomy) and antibiotic was put directly on to the infection and a temporary filling was put in. After the antibiotics were done, was the root canal. I had very painful shots, about 5 or 6. I didn"t feel a thing during the procedure. However, 12 hours later, and for the next 3 days, I felt like I got hit in the face with a sledgehammer. Never again! Bad tooth? Tough - tear it out, because that is never happening a second time.

Comment from: Dawgfan165, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had a crowned molar that had been crowned many years back. The crown came off due to some decay underneath. The dentist cleaned out the tooth and re-crowned it. Fast forward about 3 months. I started having pain in the molar, constant throbbing. Went to an oral surgeon who x-rayed it and saw an abscess at the bottom of the tooth. I went to an endodontist the next day. He drilled through the crown, did the root canal and put in a temporary filling. He told me to see my dentist to get it filled. About 3 days later, I ended up in the hospital with a raging infection in my jaw and face. I was in the hospital for 5 days, IVs of morphine, antibiotics, muscle relaxers and steroids because my jaw locked up. Part of my gum died which took about 2 months for my jaw to heal. I should be going next week to get the temporary tooth filled. What a pain!

Comment from: wyominboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I"ve had 2 root canals on both a primary and a secondary molar. It was not a pleasant experience by any means and if I had it to do over I probably would have simply had the teeth extracted. I had nothing but problems with both teeth after the root canal procedure and had to go back for more surgery. Both molars never felt normal again and both were very sensitive after the procedures. There was always a lingering pain when chewing on those teeth. The life of one molar after root canal was about 5 years and the other was about 2 years before they eventually became re-infected and had to be extracted. I"ll have to admit that I only brush my teeth once per day and hardly ever floss, so my dental hygiene is not the best. Anyway that was my experience for what it"s worth. At my age, I would never have another root canal (I"m 58), I would simply have the tooth extracted at that point.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?