Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: buncoladee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a root canal today on a rear molar, I had no infection he said, but I had a tooth ache for about two weeks prior. First it was just hot and cold that bothered me and then it was everything. He put numbing gel first before all the shots, which were many and the procedure itself I was numb for. I have been taking hydrocodone and it doesn't touch the pain of this tooth that is supposed to be dead! It is Friday night and the dentist is not open until Monday! Yikes, I am in so much pain, I had natural child birth three times and this pain is worse!

Comment from: Epicpai13, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

They sat me down for about 30 minutes. At first it was horrible since I had excruciating toothache on the way to the dentist. However after I had about 2 to 3 anesthetics I felt perfectly fine. The procedure barely gave me any pain and I was relieved. However the second she started cleaning out the pulp I was back in pain; she pushed down on a nerve. When it was over I have had no toothache to the present day. The procedure was around 7 weeks ago.

Comment from: E615, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I had a root canal on 8/29 and my wisdom tooth behind that tooth removed on 9/5. Do you want to know what pain feels like! First of all I almost felt all of the root canal. A week later when I got the wisdom tooth pulled I almost immediately got dry socket. I grind my teeth at night and the root canal temporary crown was actually too high (which caused throbbing pain). I will never ever in life get my wisdom tooth removed nor will I get a root canal again. It's been too long and I should have no pain by now as it has been 2 weeks since any dental work. This is terrible.

Comment from: Espanaqa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I just got a root canal done for the first time and it was easier than getting a cavity filled. Number 30, a molar, was filled a while back the decay was too deep. I didn't feel the pain until months later. I called me dentist and set up an appointment, three days later a small pain became a large pain that wasn't affect by medicines so I called to push up my appointment. All they had was Monday morning so I had to wait the weekend. Monday after x-rays they sent me next door to a specialist. The right side of my jaw was painfully swollen. They fit me in for an emergency root canal and it was so easy. They had me numbed quickly and they worked with great skill. Today two days later though, my face is even more swollen and painful. The swelling is now under my jaw bone. None of the medicines I have been told to take is helping. And my root canal part two is in a week.

Comment from: HAPPYGAL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had my first (and last ever) root canal done a few days ago. It was a bottom front tooth. I wish they had just pulled it out! After the Novocain wore off I felt like my entire lower jaw had been hit by a baseball bat! My chin was swollen up, throbbing, and extremely sore to the touch. The dentist was off the 3 days (this was on a Thursday) but thank goodness I had an emergency number. So she called in some Vicodin and antibiotics for me. For the next 3 days I was immobile and couldn't eat. I had always heard rumors about root canals but honestly thought it was all just hype. But I will never, ever get another one done!

Comment from: nobiggie, 45-54 (Patient) Published: July 11

I've had four root canals, one on my front tooth today. Three were molars and done by an oral surgeon while I was anesthetized and this one done by a very experienced dentist at his office. I was careful to clean my teeth well and use mouthwash before seeking dental care and made sure I did not have any active infections that needed antibiotics. The canal today was large and I had some pain in my nose, but more irritating than painful and it's going away. Being sure you have a good dentist is critical. The worst dental care I ever got was while I had dental insurance. Seek out good dentists. Look for things like years of experience, mine was a navy dentist and terrific and reasonably priced. I'm so glad I saved my teeth. My crowns are over twenty years old and still not leaking. They are porcelain. Pulling teeth can just cause to lose bone instead of teeth and screw up all your teeth.

Comment from: Pam, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I had my first root canal today on a lateral incisor, I'd heard so many horror stories about root canals and was stressed out of my mind and it honestly was painless. Time went by fast, my dentist did an amazing job and the staff was wonderful. Once he froze me, time flew by and there was no pain at all!

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?