Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: Martin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I had my 1st root canal 3 days ago, and I still have pain, and I'm still taking Vicodin, naproxen, and now ibuprofen for the pain. Friend recently had one, he says he had pain for maybe 2 days, and all he took was ibuprofen, that's it. I'm to the point of just having the tooth pulled.

Comment from: Espamarina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

Whilst in Spain for three months, I had such painful toothache along my upper and lower left jaw that I had to find a dentist. He took an x-ray which revealed an infected nerve. He gave me antibiotics and I returned five days later for root canal treatment. He was very careful and there was little pain which he controlled with anesthesia. I returned again five days later for a permanent filling. Two days from then, everything feels fine.

Comment from: chidz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

My dentist told me that in order to save my lower molar, it had to undergo through the process of root canal. Though I didn't have any idea of what I was all about I agreed. I was really desperate in saving my molar that I went for it for 4 thousand pesos. (it's supposed to be 5k, but since she's been my dentist for years, she reduced the charge). Now, I already had 7 sessions. A temporary pasta was put this morning. She told me that she will already close it permanently after 6 days. Now, I am just wondering why she didn't remove any nerve in my molar. She just cleaned it with oxygenated water. It had puss so she said that injecting oxygenated water will remove it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I just had my first root canal done today on a molar (#15) and I am in a lot of pain, the procedure was not that bad compare to the pain afterwards, I asked the doctor to prescribe me something strong and he said I would not need it, well he was wrong. On top of that I did not research enough before seeing him, and surprise, I have to see a different dentist to install the crown which will cost me in the neighborhood of $450 to $ 500 besides the $600 I paid for the root canal. I am disgusted to say the least, I advised anyone who is going to need this done to do your homework and avoid going to 3 different dentists and paying almost $2,000 for a procedure that it is both painful and long.

Comment from: toothless, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a root canal over 40 years ago on a front tooth. The tooth started to cause pain, the dentist took an x-ray which showed nothing. With in a few days the tooth abscessed, the dentist drained the abscess and I was told I would lose the tooth and would have to either have a bridge or implant. I had the tooth pulled but decided against the implant because of cost and I am going with the bridge. As the x-rays showed nothing I wonder if it was really necessary to remove the tooth. It did not hurt after it was drained but causes me discomfort now with the temporary bridge. I am sorry that I did not pursue other options that may have not caused me to lose the tooth, as I do not have gum disease. I was told that I had a split root although I can not find any such condition. I suggest that anyone pursue all options before going ahead with procedures unless you know for sure that it is your only option.

Comment from: sharkey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had a root canal about 1 1/2 years ago at a local dentist who had been recommended to me. It was a cracked molar that had been sensitive to pressure, cold and hot for some time. After the procedure, and a normal amount of time for the soreness to go away, I was still experiencing sensitivity. I went back several times. He kept x-raying it and told me that the tooth looked fine. Well, it was not fine. Just recently, I developed a really bad toothache in that tooth. My new dentist immediately sent me to an endodontist, who discovered that the first dentist completely missed a root canal (he did 3 canals; the tooth had 4). I had a serious abscess that I am taking strong antibiotics to clear up, so he can finish the procedure in a few weeks. I am considering filing a complaint with the state Board of Dental Examiners, but first, I am trying to find out if this constitutes incompetence on his part. It seems to me that, after going back several times complaining of pain, he would have sent me to a specialist to get it checked out, but that never even came up. The expense and pain have been off the charts.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had 3 root canals and all have gone very smoothly. My latest one (this morning) was the hardest one to do. I started having jaw, mouth, and ear pain about 2 months earlier that would come and go. Initially, I thought it was TMJ because I tend to grind my teeth. My original dentist took an x-ray which showed I had a bad infection in my top molar. After trying for an hour to numb me, he referred me to an Endodontist. He then tried to numb me also, to no avail. The new x-ray that the specialist took showed a major infection and inflammation, which was blocking the Novocaine from taking effect. I was put on antibiotics and steroids and returned a week later. This time he was able to numb me enough to do all four roots within the molar. He was seriously a miracle worker! The worst part was keeping my mouth open for an hour. I felt maybe two seconds of a little bit of pain when he first began, but then nothing. He put in a temporary filling that will last 1-2 months and then I go back to my regular dentist for the crown. After the procedure I had no pain, just a tiny bit of soreness in my jaw. I haven't even had to take any pain medication.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?