Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: Happy Patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

The root canal procedure was no more difficult for me than a regular filling has been. I was apprehensive because of my age, the extent of the infection, and the location of the tooth. My dentist wouldn't even attempt the root canal procedure. My gums were sore and the infection was still very serious when I went for my appointment today. I had been on antibiotics for a week but the infection had not responded well. I had talked with my doctor and my endodontist about an extraction, but both of them thought the tooth could and should be saved because it is functional. The only problem I have 6 hours later is tenderness in my jaw from my mouth being open for an hour while he worked on that tooth. I am relieved and grateful to have an endodontist save my tooth.

Comment from: kitty alpuche, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had toothache on a molar tooth that had filling and I went to check with my dentist. He told me I need root canal, so I went 5 days ago and half of the process was done. Two days after I started with pain and swelling, I contacted the dentist and he said it was normal. I was given amoxicillin and ibuprofen. I still have pain and swelling.

Comment from: Brownie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

It was a boring root canal as per endodontist, which was good. I had no pain during procedure. I was given a small second injection after being tested for reaction to cold on infected tooth, before endodontist began drilling procedure. He was very concerned I was kept pain free. Procedure lasted two hours. Amount was USD 2840 for a molar and a bicuspid.

Comment from: Dee1980, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

My back molars have always had a space between them and as a child I wanted to get braces to push them together. The dentist then said that it is better if they were like that so that bacteria couldn't stay there. What they didn't take into account is the fact that food can get stuck there and between the gum and tooth and that causes holes. End of last year my 2nd back molar crown section broke off in half. As my medical was finished for the year I didn't go and have it fixed, but I went to my dentist yesterday and I am so sorry that I left it for that long. He gave me 2 injections and eventually I lost feeling in my mouth. Even when he was cleaning the tooth it was sensitive. He took x-ray and said that the back tooth also needs to be looked at. He told me that he will have to do a root canal on both of them. That was the worst pain that I have ever felt. I normally just lie all relaxed and don't feel a thing, not even the needle with the anesthetic. You know the sharp pain feeling you get when you eat or drink something ice cold or very hot; that is what it felt like when he was drilling the hole in the nerve. It was so bad that he had to stop in the middle of the first tooth to tell me that whatever happens, I mustn't try and grab the stuff out my mouth. Once he made the hole and injected something into the nerve it wasn't bad. He then proceeded with the second one. I have to go back in 6 weeks as I have a temporary filling. I will rather have that done once per tooth (if ever needed again) than have the tooth pulled as some of you are saying. My reason for saying this is, I had my last molar pulled and the top tooth has grown longer and is breaking my second one in bits and pieces. I now have to have the top tooth pulled.

Comment from: buncoladee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a root canal today on a rear molar, I had no infection he said, but I had a tooth ache for about two weeks prior. First it was just hot and cold that bothered me and then it was everything. He put numbing gel first before all the shots, which were many and the procedure itself I was numb for. I have been taking hydrocodone and it doesn't touch the pain of this tooth that is supposed to be dead! It is Friday night and the dentist is not open until Monday! Yikes, I am in so much pain, I had natural child birth three times and this pain is worse!

Comment from: Epicpai13, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

They sat me down for about 30 minutes. At first it was horrible since I had excruciating toothache on the way to the dentist. However after I had about 2 to 3 anesthetics I felt perfectly fine. The procedure barely gave me any pain and I was relieved. However the second she started cleaning out the pulp I was back in pain; she pushed down on a nerve. When it was over I have had no toothache to the present day. The procedure was around 7 weeks ago.

Comment from: E615, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I had a root canal on 8/29 and my wisdom tooth behind that tooth removed on 9/5. Do you want to know what pain feels like! First of all I almost felt all of the root canal. A week later when I got the wisdom tooth pulled I almost immediately got dry socket. I grind my teeth at night and the root canal temporary crown was actually too high (which caused throbbing pain). I will never ever in life get my wisdom tooth removed nor will I get a root canal again. It's been too long and I should have no pain by now as it has been 2 weeks since any dental work. This is terrible.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?