Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: JOE, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I still have pain were my root canal was done in the lower gum line. When x-rays were taken he told me it is still healing and it has been at least 6 years now. The pain comes and goes from time to time.

Comment from: dede, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

My root canal was on tooth number 30, the right back lower molar. I was referred to an endodontist since I had a filing and a crown on top of a cracked tooth. My dentist felt like it was worth saving, but for about USD 2,000! The endodontist's nitrous oxygen machine was broke so I had 3 painful shots before the procedure and 2 during. I still felt a lot of pressure and pulling. Now I have to go back. I wish I had it pulled, against the advice of 2 dentists. It was too much pain and expense, and 12 hours later, it's still hurting even after taking double hydrocodone tablets for a knee replacement.

Comment from: ginny morris r., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I had root canal on two front teeth a year ago that have not stopped hurting despite being opened and redone several times. Dental specialists (3 of them) say it is neuralgia and pain control is treatment plan, but after a year of believing this I still can't touch two teeth that are supposed to have dead nerves in them! The same thing happened to my first ever root canal and I had it pulled and all pain stopped. I will never have another root canal done, and almost everyone I have talked to who have had them eventually lose the tooth anyway. I know I need to have these 2 teeth pulled but with the 'experts' saying there is nothing wrong with the teeth it is so hard to do it. But my guy says the pain will go away once the teeth are gone. Root canals are just a money maker for dentists.

Comment from: rabeel, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I just had a root canal, this was a very old infection in front tooth. It cost me 2350 AED and 3 visits. The procedure was not painful but the infection was really bad and once it started swelling it was agony, and no pain killer worked at all. The antibiotic which I took was amoxicillin 1000. The first painkiller was Brufen which did not work at all, and the new one was diclofenac potassium which could control the pain for only 3 hours, and then again it became terrible. Dental pain is something you cannot do anything about; even local anesthesia will work for 4 hours and then the same again. The root was cleared, and then refilled again and tooth was restored but my dentist suggested to take a crown on the tooth. I will go back to Pakistan and then will see what I can afford.

Comment from: Chuck, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I had my first root canal in 06/2015. The procedure itself was not painful at all but after the Novocain wore off the pain started. I'm taking antibiotics for the infection I was told I had. I can't even close my mouth tooth to tooth and I don't know how long this pain is going to last.

Comment from: Cheryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a root canal done through my crown. They drilled a little bitty hole through crown and did the canal. I have had pain in that tooth since that day. Actually my tooth does not hurt but my gums and up to jaw bone are very sensitive. I went back and they say nothing is wrong with it. I know that I am going to lose this tooth. Like everybody says, I wish they would have pulled the tooth from the start, but of course the dentist discourages this because they would not make any money on a tooth that isn't there.

Comment from: Moggy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

To add to my opinion on this, I recently had a root canal done on a lower first molar. I chose my dentist carefully, he also works as a mouth surgeon. Experience is key. I was thoroughly anaesthetized (locally) and the entire procedure was carried out painlessly in 80 minutes. Three canals widened, cleaned, filled and then sealed with a permanent filling on top. I have a little bit of soreness (2nd day after) but it seems to be going.

Comment from: crosscheck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a root canal done 6 days ago. It was done on a Thursday. On Friday I had a little swelling. By Saturday the whole right side of my face had swelled up and the pain was unbearable. Since it was the weekend I went to the emergency room. They prescribed be some antibiotics and some pain medication. It is now Wednesday and I am still in pain. The swelling is limited to an area above the tooth and below the eye. It does not seem to be getting any better or worse. Hoping it gets better soon because the pain medications are not doing much.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?