Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: Cheryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a root canal done through my crown. They drilled a little bitty hole through crown and did the canal. I have had pain in that tooth since that day. Actually my tooth does not hurt but my gums and up to jaw bone are very sensitive. I went back and they say nothing is wrong with it. I know that I am going to lose this tooth. Like everybody says, I wish they would have pulled the tooth from the start, but of course the dentist discourages this because they would not make any money on a tooth that isn't there.

Comment from: Moggy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

To add to my opinion on this, I recently had a root canal done on a lower first molar. I chose my dentist carefully, he also works as a mouth surgeon. Experience is key. I was thoroughly anaesthetized (locally) and the entire procedure was carried out painlessly in 80 minutes. Three canals widened, cleaned, filled and then sealed with a permanent filling on top. I have a little bit of soreness (2nd day after) but it seems to be going.

Comment from: crosscheck, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a root canal done 6 days ago. It was done on a Thursday. On Friday I had a little swelling. By Saturday the whole right side of my face had swelled up and the pain was unbearable. Since it was the weekend I went to the emergency room. They prescribed be some antibiotics and some pain medication. It is now Wednesday and I am still in pain. The swelling is limited to an area above the tooth and below the eye. It does not seem to be getting any better or worse. Hoping it gets better soon because the pain medications are not doing much.

Comment from: atlbeachgal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I think the only people that post here had a negative experience. So I thought I would write a good one. Was it the most pleasant thing; no. Was it painful; no. I had my root canal yesterday 3/23/15. I took 3 mg of Xanax going in so I was very relaxed. The doctor took a lot of time numbing me and making super sure I was super numb. I had my earbuds in with music blaring so I wouldn't hear the drilling. I had no pain whatsoever. I went home and slept and when I woke up 6 hours later there was some tenderness around my gums, but no tooth pain. Please note I am terrified of dentists so this wasn't easy for me. I cried at the thought of it, I teared up while I was in the dentist's office, but I did it and I saved a tooth.

Comment from: Happy Patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

The root canal procedure was no more difficult for me than a regular filling has been. I was apprehensive because of my age, the extent of the infection, and the location of the tooth. My dentist wouldn't even attempt the root canal procedure. My gums were sore and the infection was still very serious when I went for my appointment today. I had been on antibiotics for a week but the infection had not responded well. I had talked with my doctor and my endodontist about an extraction, but both of them thought the tooth could and should be saved because it is functional. The only problem I have 6 hours later is tenderness in my jaw from my mouth being open for an hour while he worked on that tooth. I am relieved and grateful to have an endodontist save my tooth.

Comment from: kitty alpuche, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had toothache on a molar tooth that had filling and I went to check with my dentist. He told me I need root canal, so I went 5 days ago and half of the process was done. Two days after I started with pain and swelling, I contacted the dentist and he said it was normal. I was given amoxicillin and ibuprofen. I still have pain and swelling.

Comment from: Brownie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

It was a boring root canal as per endodontist, which was good. I had no pain during procedure. I was given a small second injection after being tested for reaction to cold on infected tooth, before endodontist began drilling procedure. He was very concerned I was kept pain free. Procedure lasted two hours. Amount was USD 2840 for a molar and a bicuspid.

Comment from: Dee1980, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

My back molars have always had a space between them and as a child I wanted to get braces to push them together. The dentist then said that it is better if they were like that so that bacteria couldn't stay there. What they didn't take into account is the fact that food can get stuck there and between the gum and tooth and that causes holes. End of last year my 2nd back molar crown section broke off in half. As my medical was finished for the year I didn't go and have it fixed, but I went to my dentist yesterday and I am so sorry that I left it for that long. He gave me 2 injections and eventually I lost feeling in my mouth. Even when he was cleaning the tooth it was sensitive. He took x-ray and said that the back tooth also needs to be looked at. He told me that he will have to do a root canal on both of them. That was the worst pain that I have ever felt. I normally just lie all relaxed and don't feel a thing, not even the needle with the anesthetic. You know the sharp pain feeling you get when you eat or drink something ice cold or very hot; that is what it felt like when he was drilling the hole in the nerve. It was so bad that he had to stop in the middle of the first tooth to tell me that whatever happens, I mustn't try and grab the stuff out my mouth. Once he made the hole and injected something into the nerve it wasn't bad. He then proceeded with the second one. I have to go back in 6 weeks as I have a temporary filling. I will rather have that done once per tooth (if ever needed again) than have the tooth pulled as some of you are saying. My reason for saying this is, I had my last molar pulled and the top tooth has grown longer and is breaking my second one in bits and pieces. I now have to have the top tooth pulled.

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?