Patient Comments: Root Canal - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with root canal.

Comment from: Dawgfan165, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had a crowned molar that had been crowned many years back. The crown came off due to some decay underneath. The dentist cleaned out the tooth and re-crowned it. Fast forward about 3 months. I started having pain in the molar, constant throbbing. Went to an oral surgeon who x-rayed it and saw an abscess at the bottom of the tooth. I went to an endodontist the next day. He drilled through the crown, did the root canal and put in a temporary filling. He told me to see my dentist to get it filled. About 3 days later, I ended up in the hospital with a raging infection in my jaw and face. I was in the hospital for 5 days, IVs of morphine, antibiotics, muscle relaxers and steroids because my jaw locked up. Part of my gum died which took about 2 months for my jaw to heal. I should be going next week to get the temporary tooth filled. What a pain!

Comment from: wyominboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I"ve had 2 root canals on both a primary and a secondary molar. It was not a pleasant experience by any means and if I had it to do over I probably would have simply had the teeth extracted. I had nothing but problems with both teeth after the root canal procedure and had to go back for more surgery. Both molars never felt normal again and both were very sensitive after the procedures. There was always a lingering pain when chewing on those teeth. The life of one molar after root canal was about 5 years and the other was about 2 years before they eventually became re-infected and had to be extracted. I"ll have to admit that I only brush my teeth once per day and hardly ever floss, so my dental hygiene is not the best. Anyway that was my experience for what it"s worth. At my age, I would never have another root canal (I"m 58), I would simply have the tooth extracted at that point.

Comment from: pm28486, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I had a root canal done today; worst experience. I hate everything about going to the dentist and watching a video of how the procedure is done the night before probably wasn't a good idea as well. I had an anesthetic shot 7 times during my 3 hour procedure, because I kept on feeling the pain. Also seeing the tools my dentist was working with and the smell/sound had me going crazy. After taking 5 ibuprofens and 1pill of codeine I can say the pain is slowly getting better. Hope no one else experiences what I did.

Comment from: anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had my 3rd root canal over 9 days ago on a back molar. After 3 days the pain just got worse daily. I took 3 Advil every 3 hours. The doctor then prescribed a stronger medicine with codeine. It still hurts terribly. He just prescribed an antibiotic. I am thinking I should have had that in the first place. I'm ready to pull this tooth if I don't get relief soon. It flares up every time I eat or drink and I haven't chewed on that side in over a week. I'm not happy.

Comment from: Ttonyjan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

A 2nd root in tooth was found while having root canal. So it required a lot more time to remove the root. It was very painful after the procedure. I am now 2 days post root canal, pain has eased up, but still have swelling. The swelling has eased up but now I found new swelling on my neck just below where root canal was done. I will call the doctor this morning and see what he has to say.

Comment from: Mrs Hurt, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 15

The molar root canal I had a few days ago and also apparently an abscess treated is now painful even with pain killers. There is a residue of pain in my tongue and jaw. The procedure was fine and afterward, things seemed normal. I haven't slept much due to pain and medication doses. I have had only juices and soft foods and now antibiotics and pain killers do not seem to be working.

Comment from: Jane, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I just had my first root canal today on a lower molar. The tooth had been sensitive to heat, cold, and pressure for a long time. I had a crack also. I found that the rubber mouth guard helped a lot in keeping my mouth open, so it didn't take much effort. The worst part was the nervousness at the beginning -- mostly for nothing -- and the needles, not because they were painful, but because I needed four of them to get my tooth numb enough to work on. At the very beginning of the drilling, I felt a tiny little bit of pain, but it quickly went away. The dentist said, “From here on, it's just boring,” and he was right. The drilling, filing, and cleaning had to be repeated over and over, and it did take a lot of time. After the canals were all cleaned out, he took another X-ray and said it had come out alright. Then he filled each canal with filling material and used what he called a "warm instrument" that made stinky smoke and sealed the material. The entire left side of my mouth, tongue, and lips were more numb than they'd ever felt in my life, but otherwise I felt fine. I came home and was able to eat dinner, chewing on one side. Now, three hours and 400 mg of ibuprofen later, I am feeling comfortable. I have no soreness or jaw pain, just a little tenderness around the tooth area itself, which he told me to expect for a few days. All in all, this was not as bad as I thought it was going to be!

Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Recovery Question: How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?