Patient Comments: Root Canal - Recovery

How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?

Comment from: D.R., 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 24

I had a root canal done in early December 2011. I knew it was infected because of the tenderness, throbbing and very painful when I ate or drank anything. My gum above the tooth was very tender and swollen. I went in to see my doctor and he started right away on the root canal without treating the infection first!!! He began to numb my gums above the tooth. Several Novocain shots later, I believe I had a total of eight shots and still felt the pain of him drilling and pulling the roots out. I also said to him that there is a foul smell and taste draining into my throat. He replied that it is not related to my tooth. I wish I would have stopped him then. He continued to finish the procedure. The root canal is done. It IS January 22, 2012 and from the time I had my root canal to today's date I have had a small mess above my gums. It is very tender and sore. I work up this morning (1-22-2012) and my face looks like a melon on the right side. My neck is starting to swell and I feel like my eye is going to pop out of its socket. I have to wait until Monday to call and have someone fix the problem that should not have escalated to this. The doctor should have treated me with antibiotics before he ever tried to do the root canal.

Comment from: ginger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had a root canal done over a year ago, I have went back 4 different times, having problems with it. It's my eye tooth. I have been on antibiotics for a week and just stop taking them. I woke up through the night with my tooth hurting and very sore. The dentist said he had to go with a 28 gauge, most of time 19 is as far as you go. Could it be something he's not doing or what. I'm so tired of hurting with this tooth. I started back on antibiotics, but I can't take them forever.

Comment from: Carrie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have had four root canals and I have had pain and infections since. My front bottom teeth usually hurt to some degree all the time. I had 2 root canals one right next to the other. I have a good dentist but am sick of having this pain in my teeth. I had 1 root canal when I was a teenager that never bothered me, but that was on a molor. The next one I had was 6 years ago, it became badly infected and I ended up in the ICU overnight fearing my throat would swell shut. I had 2 other root canals in that tooth since last year. And it is still painful.

Comment from: Mummsie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Had my second root canal this afternoon, at my dental college. The care was excellent and, judging from the follow up from last root canal, I expect it will be good this time too. I got pain and an infection last time. It appeared by the third day. I called and was quickly put on antibiotics, as well as strong pain killers. No hesitation. They took me seriously. The pain and infection were gone soon, all is healed now and I got up the nerve to go for this one. So far, excellent care and follow up care. I will continue to have my dental work done at the dental college.

Comment from: Tasha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

A year ago I had a root canal. I am still suffering from it and go to the dentist almost every month. The pain gets so bad sometimes that I can't sleep. The dentist said the nerve is dead and I shouldn't feel any pain, but the pain is excruciating. I totally regret having this done. My worst experience ever!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had a root canal two days ago. The numbing process was painful, then after three injections I could feel the drill so had to get two more injections. Today my lip is still numb. The pain afterward was worse than before the procedure. I can't eat or sleep and am now starting on prednisone. I think an extraction would have been a better alternative.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had a root canal three weeks ago. I have been back as I continue to have pain but my dentist just keeps saying I shouldn't have any pain as the nerve is dead. I am frustrated as I am not imagining this pain.

Root Canal - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with root canal.
Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?