Patient Comments: Root Canal - Recovery

How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?

Comment from: Kaycee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I just had my first root canal and I was extremely nervous as I had heard such horror stories. The whole procedure took over an hour. The procedure was easier for me than having a crown as it was minimal noise and smell. No pain was felt before or afterwards. My dentist is extremely good at what he does thank goodness.

Comment from: BPete, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I just had my second root canal in 12 years. The first one was tough, upper right back molar. Because I have a very sensitive gag reflex it was very difficult for the dentist to work on that one, but it was as I remember pretty painless. This recent one was on the lower left, much easier for him to reach and see, and despite that my jaw is a little sore from keeping my mouth open for almost an hour, it was painless. I took an ibuprofen when I got home and I've been fine since.

Comment from: Marie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I didn't have any pain on my tooth before, but my dentist told me that I needed a root canal, so I did it. Since then I have so much pain on my tooth. I can't believe that I paid more than $700 to feel nothing but pain.

Comment from: Ellie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I have had three root canals over the years. This is the worst. I had it done 3 days ago and I am in severe pain. I cannot close my mouth. I cannot chew. I cannot sleep. Today the doctor is prescribing an antibiotic. I would rather just have him pull it it hurts so bad!!

Comment from: gilly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had a root canal yesterday on a back tooth which had kept me up all night. Once froze i experienced no pain at all during the procedure until the freezing wore off. I have now had no sleep for 2 nights and over the counter painkillers are not even taking the edge off the pain. Can't eat or close my mouth fully as pressure on the tooth is pure agony. Not happy!!!!!

Comment from: spursue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

On June 3rd I went to the dentist to have a crown,the temporary one was put on, 3 days later I had a throbbing toothache, I was put on an antibiotic that did not clear it up, I was put on another, was taking this plus 2 Advil every 4 hours, on July 4th they did root canal, said it would be a few days before it settled down, today is the 8th, I am still taking Advil every two hours for the pain, is this normal. When I went to the dentist the first time I did not have a toothache!

Root Canal - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with root canal.
Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?