Patient Comments: Root Canal - Recovery

How was your recovery from your root canal procedure?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had a root canal two days ago. The numbing process was painful, then after three injections I could feel the drill so had to get two more injections. Today my lip is still numb. The pain afterward was worse than before the procedure. I can't eat or sleep and am now starting on prednisone. I think an extraction would have been a better alternative.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had a root canal three weeks ago. I have been back as I continue to have pain but my dentist just keeps saying I shouldn't have any pain as the nerve is dead. I am frustrated as I am not imagining this pain.

Comment from: Mummsie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Had my second root canal this afternoon, at my dental college. The care was excellent and, judging from the follow up from last root canal, I expect it will be good this time too. I got pain and an infection last time. It appeared by the third day. I called and was quickly put on antibiotics, as well as strong pain killers. No hesitation. They took me seriously. The pain and infection were gone soon, all is healed now and I got up the nerve to go for this one. So far, excellent care and follow up care. I will continue to have my dental work done at the dental college.

Comment from: Kaycee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I just had my first root canal and I was extremely nervous as I had heard such horror stories. The whole procedure took over an hour. The procedure was easier for me than having a crown as it was minimal noise and smell. No pain was felt before or afterwards. My dentist is extremely good at what he does thank goodness.

Comment from: BPete, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I just had my second root canal in 12 years. The first one was tough, upper right back molar. Because I have a very sensitive gag reflex it was very difficult for the dentist to work on that one, but it was as I remember pretty painless. This recent one was on the lower left, much easier for him to reach and see, and despite that my jaw is a little sore from keeping my mouth open for almost an hour, it was painless. I took an ibuprofen when I got home and I've been fine since.

Comment from: Marie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I didn't have any pain on my tooth before, but my dentist told me that I needed a root canal, so I did it. Since then I have so much pain on my tooth. I can't believe that I paid more than $700 to feel nothing but pain.

Comment from: Ellie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I have had three root canals over the years. This is the worst. I had it done 3 days ago and I am in severe pain. I cannot close my mouth. I cannot chew. I cannot sleep. Today the doctor is prescribing an antibiotic. I would rather just have him pull it it hurts so bad!!

Comment from: gilly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had a root canal yesterday on a back tooth which had kept me up all night. Once froze i experienced no pain at all during the procedure until the freezing wore off. I have now had no sleep for 2 nights and over the counter painkillers are not even taking the edge off the pain. Can't eat or close my mouth fully as pressure on the tooth is pure agony. Not happy!!!!!

Comment from: spursue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

On June 3rd I went to the dentist to have a crown,the temporary one was put on, 3 days later I had a throbbing toothache, I was put on an antibiotic that did not clear it up, I was put on another, was taking this plus 2 Advil every 4 hours, on July 4th they did root canal, said it would be a few days before it settled down, today is the 8th, I am still taking Advil every two hours for the pain, is this normal. When I went to the dentist the first time I did not have a toothache!

Root Canal - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with root canal.
Root Canal - Procedures Question: How painful was your root canal procedure?
Root Canal - Cost Question: How much did your root canal cost? Did insurance cover your procedure?
Root Canal - Symptoms Exp Question: What symptoms led you to believe that you needed a root canal?