Patient Comments: Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with Rocky Mountain spotted fever?

Comment from: outdoors, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I discovered red rash that grew over 5 to 7 days. Approximately 5 to 7 long red, oval, bumpy, itchy, raised rashes. I woke up on day five with severe headache, confusion, joint pain, severe vertigo, and high blood pressure. I had no fever but a spotty rash. I was misdiagnosed for over four weeks and all tests were negative for Lyme. After two emergency room visits it was finally discovered by infectious disease doctor. Too late...I did two rounds of antibiotics. I have permanent brain lesions and dead areas. One year later, I still have headaches, dizziness, memory problems, and fatigue.

Comment from: traveler, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I had severe headaches, loss of appetite, and extreme fatigue. After feeling something in my head, my initial test for Lyme disease and RMSF were negative. (I was prescribed doxycycline, thank goodness.) I continued to feel like I was in poor health and persuaded my doctor to run another panel for the diseases;

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever - Prognosis Question: Please describe your experience with Rocky Mountain spotted fever.