- Osteoporosis Slideshow Pictures
- Super Foods for Your Bones Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Osteoporosis Quiz
- What is risedronate, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for risedronate?
- Is risedronate available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for risedronate?
- What are the uses for risedronate?
- What are the side effects of risedronate?
- What is the dosage for risedronate?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with risedronate?
- Is risedronate safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about risedronate?
What is risedronate, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- Risedronate is in a class of drugs called bisphosphonates used for the treatment of Paget's disease of bone (in which the formation of bone is abnormal) and in persons with osteoporosis (in which the density and strength of bones are reduced). Other biphosphonates include the drugs alendronate (Fosamax), ibandronate (Boniva), pamidronate (Aredia), tiludronate (Skelid), and etidronate (Didronel). Bone is continually being formed and dissolved. New bone is laid down by cells called osteoblasts while old bone is removed by cells called osteoclasts. Bisphosphonates strengthen bone by inhibiting bone removal (resorption) by osteoclasts. By slowing down the rate at which bone is dissolved, risedronate increases the amount of bone. Risedronate is more potent in blocking the dissolution of bone than etidronate and alendronate.
- The FDA approved risedronate for the treatment of Paget's disease in 1998 and for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis in 1999.
What brand names are available for risedronate?
Actonel, Actonel with Calcium, Atelvia
Is risedronate available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for risedronate?
What are the uses for risedronate?
- Risedronate is used for the treatment of Paget's disease of bone (osteitis deformans), treatment and prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosis in women, and treatment of osteoporosis in men.
- It also is used to prevent and treat osteoporosis caused by steroid medications (glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis).
What are the side effects of risedronate?
The most common side effects of risedronate include:
- Joint pain
- Abdominal pain
- High blood pressure
Other less common side effects include:
Possible serious side effects include:
- Diaphyseal femur
- Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
- Esophageal cancer
- Esophageal ulcer
- Femur fracture
- Stomach and duodenal ulcer
Severe irritation of the esophagus (for example, esophagitis, esophageal ulcers, esophageal erosions) can occur. This occurs more often when patients do not drink enough water with risedronate, or do not wait 30 minutes before lying down.
Rarely, patients may experience jaw problems (osteonecrosis of the jaw) associated with delayed healing and infection after tooth extraction.
Quick GuideWhat Is Osteoporosis? Treatment, Symptoms, Medication
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.