Patient Comments: Ringworm - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your ringworm?

Comment from: kev, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I used eucalyptus and tea tree oil and bam the ringworm was gone!

Comment from: Min K., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

My ringworm started at 2.5 inch size. I applied all type of antifungal cream with doctor's prescription and took a pill; but it get worse and size is bigger at 5 inch diameter. I suffered over two month. Then I applied Selsun Blue shampoo for 4 days, and it's gone. Must apply 3 or 4 times in a day and wait to dry; it usually takes an hour. I used Selsun Blue with selenium sulfide 1pecrcent. Thanks Mandy and Sue, for valuable information.

Comment from: CNA momma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

Apple cider vinegar has been effective for ringworm. It burns a little bit and is very stinky. I had ringworm on my wrist and would soak a Band-Aid in it and cover the area overnight. In the morning, shower and make sure it was dry and apply some anti-fungal powder for the daytime. Within a couple of applications I saw a significant change.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

When I was growing up at a young age I would get ringworms often. My mother would buy what was called Delhomme's lotion which came in a small bottle and it had a glass stem on the inside cap that would allow liquid to be applied with it. She would apply it on the area affected, it would burn a little but by next day the area would have dead skin and when you washed it clean it would be clear of ringworm. I don't know whatever happened to this product, keep in mind this was like 40 years ago.

Comment from: Tim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I was getting nowhere with my ringworm until I applied vinegar to the affected skin. It burned awfully, but like they say, no pain no gain.

Comment from: Scott67, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I was diagnosed with ringworm in March by a doctor and I still have it. The article indicated that it usually lasts 3 to 4 weeks. I use the clotrimazole 1 to 2 times/day. It is better, but just doesn't go away. I am baffled at what I can need to do to eradicate this.

Comment from: runningwolf, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 02

Any anti dandruff shampoo works for ringworm. The trick is to put it on and let it sit for at least 1 hour and wash out. If it is in the hair and you are a male, shave head or crew cut it short and use 3 - 4 times a day. Selsun Blue works too, you can also go to Dollar Tree or Walmart and buy antifungal cream (for like jock itch or foot fungi), which works too. It must be applied several times a day not just 1 time daily to work and get better results.

Comment from: Sue M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I got ringworm when I was in Boston. We were staying in a hotel with a pool. There was a spot the size of a nickel. I went to my doctor, what she gave me did nothing. I went to Walmart and got Blue Star ointment and Selsun Blue with the pearl beads, as suggested in a post here, and within 48 hours I saw a major difference. I want to thank the person below who suggested this. Blue Star is a miracle ointment. I was really starting to get discouraged that the ringworm wasn't going to go away unless I took something orally which my doctor told me was not good on my insides. Thank you!

Ringworm - Is it Contagious? Question: How do you think you caught ringworm?
Ringworm - Diagnosis Question: How was your ringworm diagnosed?