Patient Comments: Ringworm - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your ringworm?

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

When I was growing up at a young age I would get ringworms often. My mother would buy what was called Delhomme's lotion which came in a small bottle and it had a glass stem on the inside cap that would allow liquid to be applied with it. She would apply it on the area affected, it would burn a little but by next day the area would have dead skin and when you washed it clean it would be clear of ringworm. I don't know whatever happened to this product, keep in mind this was like 40 years ago.

Comment from: Tim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I was getting nowhere with my ringworm until I applied vinegar to the affected skin. It burned awfully, but like they say, no pain no gain.

Comment from: runningwolf, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 02

Any anti dandruff shampoo works for ringworm. The trick is to put it on and let it sit for at least 1 hour and wash out. If it is in the hair and you are a male, shave head or crew cut it short and use 3 - 4 times a day. Selsun Blue works too, you can also go to Dollar Tree or Walmart and buy antifungal cream (for like jock itch or foot fungi), which works too. It must be applied several times a day not just 1 time daily to work and get better results.

Comment from: Sue M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I got ringworm when I was in Boston. We were staying in a hotel with a pool. There was a spot the size of a nickel. I went to my doctor, what she gave me did nothing. I went to Walmart and got Blue Star ointment and Selsun Blue with the pearl beads, as suggested in a post here, and within 48 hours I saw a major difference. I want to thank the person below who suggested this. Blue Star is a miracle ointment. I was really starting to get discouraged that the ringworm wasn't going to go away unless I took something orally which my doctor told me was not good on my insides. Thank you!

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

Here is something to add to your arsenal to fight the problem. Fungus doesn't like salt and needs moisture. Those are facts. Try applying a salt paste often to the ringworm rash or at minimum rinse your hair in salt water and don't wash out the salt. The sodium will kill it and make a poor environment to grow if you keep your scalp salty and the skin will dry depriving it of moisture. Also salt is a natural anti-inflammatory and can reduce itching and inflammation. Sometimes salt can cause itching so there is a balance to find depending on your situation. The skin fungus will dry out and turn black, then only after it turns black like a scab, you use a very little bit of Vaseline to put on it and eventually the black scab will loosen and fall off because Vaseline softens the dead scab. It takes a while but continually making the scalp inhospitable to fungus works for you. The salt thing is cheap to try too.

Comment from: Scott67, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I was diagnosed with ringworm in March by a doctor and I still have it. The article indicated that it usually lasts 3 to 4 weeks. I use the clotrimazole 1 to 2 times/day. It is better, but just doesn't go away. I am baffled at what I can need to do to eradicate this.

Comment from: BisongDuso, Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I suffered ring worm for over 7 months. Well, I tried almost all medicines for skin problems but, they all failed me. Finally, I discovered that the already used cooking oil can help treat my ringworm. It is the best cure for it.

Comment from: SFbay, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

Whole foods (on order from amazon online) carries the product Candidase by Enzymedica. These are enzyme pills that you take by mouth throughout the day on an empty stomach. I have found them effective at treating underarm ringworm. Candidase still takes 2 weeks to work, and should be continued for an additional week, but at least it works. The Lamisil cream (topical antifungal) only seemed to make it worse.

Ringworm - Is it Contagious? Question: How do you think you caught ringworm?
Ringworm - Diagnosis Question: How was your ringworm diagnosed?