Patient Comments: Ringworm - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your ringworm?

Comment from: kelseykelsey2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have very sensitive allergic skin and the Made from Earth pure aloe treatment is in my opinion excellent for ringworm. It is not greasy and soothes the skin initially taking away the itch, a little goes a long way and worth paying a bit extra for a cream that works. This is also steroid free so you can use on the face and on a daily basis.

Comment from: RW Sufferer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I took in a stray kitten that had a few noticeable bald spots from ringworm. I also didn't realize it was so contagious! Needless to say within a few days my dog got it and then I got it under my chin, breast and hip! Worse yet, 2 other families whose dog played with mine, also got ringworm so they've been battling it also. It's been 2 months of this and I simply cannot believe in this day of medicine there isn't a reliable cure! I've spent hundreds of dollars between veterinary bills, shampoos, antifungal creams, iodine, witch hazel, carpet shampooers, Borax, Lysol, bleach, vinegar you name it! I've tried it and just when I thought I had it licked, we are all infected again just in time for Christmas! I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Laura, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

One part water one part bleach applied with a Q-tip, boom the ringworm's gone!

Comment from: disch52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have to say the Blue Star ointment is working better for ringworm than anything I've tried.

Comment from: sarafrye, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 09

I once took griseofulvin 250 mg for my ringworm. I am happy about the results. You can see noticeable difference within 3 days.

Comment from: midwest mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had a patch of ringworm on my forehead, and got that to clear up. I now have some bumps in the genital area that are swollen and painful, and from what I can see look like ringworm.

Comment from: Susan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I noticed a circular red, scaly patch growing on my right hip area two months ago. Then it started to spread to smaller patches all over my body. I suspected it was ringworm and started applying Lotrimin. I saw a doctor, who agreed it was ringworm and prescribed fluconazole oral antifungal pills for four weeks. I had taken the pills for two weeks when I started to feel quite alarmed that the rash was still spreading and not improving at all. I tried everything people suggested on this thread; Blue Star ointment (burned my skin), vinegar, tea tree oil, and neem oil soap, in addition to the antifungal cream I continued to use (two tubes per week equals a lot of money). None of it was helping, and especially the vinegar was just burning my rash and making it hurt worse. Finally I saw a dermatologist who correctly diagnosed my rash as pityriasis rosea, not a fungus at all. I still have the rash, there's no treatment for it but it will go away on its own. I just hope someone struggling with this will trust their gut and see a second doctor if you don't think the treatment is working.

Ringworm - Is it Contagious? Question: How do you think you caught ringworm?
Ringworm - Diagnosis Question: How was your ringworm diagnosed?