Patient Comments: Ringworm - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your ringworm?

Comment from: disch52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have to say the Blue Star ointment is working better for ringworm than anything I've tried.

Comment from: sarafrye, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 09

I once took griseofulvin 250 mg for my ringworm. I am happy about the results. You can see noticeable difference within 3 days.

Comment from: ringworm fyto, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

Use isopropyl alcohol to avoid further enlargement of ringworm rashes, based on my experience. Then after 6 hours put anti-fungal ointment.

Comment from: Ringworm patient, (Patient) Published: April 05

I had ringworm for 2 months and when I tried to use the cream my doctor gave me it only made it swollen and it spread more. What I found worked the best and made it go away within 2 weeks was the shampoo Selsun Blue. I applied it once a day to dry skin and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then I would take a shower and after the shower apply tea tree oil. I did notice though at the end of the 2 weeks my skin became very irritated and that's when I had to stop using it because the Selsun was very harsh on my skin. I use coconut oil and bio oil now to moisture and heal up all the spots.

Comment from: kev, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I used eucalyptus and tea tree oil and bam the ringworm was gone!

Comment from: Min K., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

My ringworm started at 2.5 inch size. I applied all type of antifungal cream with doctor's prescription and took a pill; but it get worse and size is bigger at 5 inch diameter. I suffered over two month. Then I applied Selsun Blue shampoo for 4 days, and it's gone. Must apply 3 or 4 times in a day and wait to dry; it usually takes an hour. I used Selsun Blue with selenium sulfide 1pecrcent. Thanks Mandy and Sue, for valuable information.

Comment from: CNA momma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

Apple cider vinegar has been effective for ringworm. It burns a little bit and is very stinky. I had ringworm on my wrist and would soak a Band-Aid in it and cover the area overnight. In the morning, shower and make sure it was dry and apply some anti-fungal powder for the daytime. Within a couple of applications I saw a significant change.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

When I was growing up at a young age I would get ringworms often. My mother would buy what was called Delhomme's lotion which came in a small bottle and it had a glass stem on the inside cap that would allow liquid to be applied with it. She would apply it on the area affected, it would burn a little but by next day the area would have dead skin and when you washed it clean it would be clear of ringworm. I don't know whatever happened to this product, keep in mind this was like 40 years ago.

Comment from: Tim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I was getting nowhere with my ringworm until I applied vinegar to the affected skin. It burned awfully, but like they say, no pain no gain.

Ringworm - Is it Contagious? Question: How do you think you caught ringworm?
Ringworm - Diagnosis Question: How was your ringworm diagnosed?